Water Pills

Options
has anyone tried them? Do they help with the retention of water? My friend told me they help her lose water weight, just curious if anyone uses them?

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a waste of money... why not just drink water? That can also aid in the loss of water weight. Water weight isn't really something to be concerned about, that fluctuates depending on sodium intake and exercise. It's not true weight "gain".
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Water weight" is completely irrelevant to anything. Forget about it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you flush water weight out naturally, why buy something to do that your body naturally does?

besides, even if you buy said pill you will just gain the water weight back when you re-hydrate
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Unless you need to make weight for a competition, there is no benefit to using pharmaceuticals to dehydrate yourself.
  • Danilova82
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend them at all. The OTC pills really don't work and the prescription ones are dangerous and can cause severe electrolyte deficiencies. Furthermore, if you start taking them, you will have to keep taking them because when you stop, your body will hang on to water again as a rebound effect. Unless you have congestive heart failure or something that is causing a renal misfunction, there is no reason to take water pills. Everybody struggles with water retention from time to time due to hormones, excess sodium, a sudden increase in physical activity, stress and other factors. I know it's frustrating but just remind yourself that it is water weight and it will go away. The best way to get rid of water retention naturally is to hydrate well. Also investing in a good compression stocking like Jobst is effective.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend them at all. The OTC pills really don't work and the prescription ones are dangerous and can cause severe electrolyte deficiencies. Furthermore, if you start taking them, you will have to keep taking them because when you stop, your body will hang on to water again as a rebound effect. Unless you have congestive heart failure or something that is causing a renal misfunction, there is no reason to take water pills. Everybody struggles with water retention from time to time due to hormones, excess sodium, a sudden increase in physical activity, stress and other factors. I know it's frustrating but just remind yourself that it is water weight and it will go away. The best way to get rid of water retention naturally is to hydrate well. Also investing in a good compression stocking like Jobst is effective.
    ok, sounds good, so keep drinking the h2! thanks so much- my friend keeps bringing them up to me..
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a waste of money... why not just drink water? That can also aid in the loss of water weight. Water weight isn't really something to be concerned about, that fluctuates depending on sodium intake and exercise. It's not true weight "gain".

Yup. If you really feel like you're retaining water, drinking plenty of water can help flush it out of your system. But if you want to lose fat, you have to eat at a moderate calorie deficit and be patient.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    part of my blood pressure medicine is a water pill and yes it does help with water retention, but if you dont have issues with blood pressure i wouldnt recommend taking them.

either drink more water or get more stuff like potassium and magnesium in your diet
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    part of my blood pressure medicine is a water pill and yes it does help with water retention, but if you dont have issues with blood pressure i wouldnt recommend taking them.

either drink more water or get more stuff like potassium and magnesium in your diet
    I have lower blood pressure, but I fluctuate alot, i try to drink 2 pints a day of water....