exercise suggestions for low impact on the feet

Options
Hi all,
I have plantar fasciitis and normally just deal with the pain as needed. Only hurts every so often. But on vacation I really over did it and it's not healing well. I want to get back to moving my rear but am afraid of more damage to my slowly healing feet. Any suggestions for exercise with low impact to the feet (not just weights)?

Thanks!
Lisa

Replies

• rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Swimming, biking (stationary or otherwise). The elliptical machine doesn't do foot impact, so might be an option. Rowing machine.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Arc trainer doesn't involve raising your feet.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Cycling!!! I have a knee that can't take much impact, and riding never bothers me. Plus, it burns tons of calories and is hella fun. I have a friend who's a hardcore runner, and he just had to stop because of PF. It sounds very painful. Hope you're all healed up soon!
  • DWW529
    DWW529 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Still weight bearing but definitely low impact. Valslide.

http://www.valslide.com/

Santa (me) got me a pair for Christmas. I have a neuroma/synovitis on my right foot which can be very painful. I had to stop running for the most part. I was looking for something for home workouts where I could burn calories without a lot of jumping and thumping (i live in a 2 flat) I love them and the work outs are exercises are really challenging . You employ a lot of core, you are still working the legs if you want with lunges etc.

I'm digging mine.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

As a certified reflexologist, I have to say first, your feet are under tremendous strain even just walking, especially if you wear any type of heels. You will probably feel some relief if you stretch your calf muscles well and you do some little reflexology techniques. If you have time, gently massage your feet for 15 minutes per day, and soak them in epsom salts!
    That being said, you would probably have great luck using an exercise ball because there are so many workouts where the impact is felt at your core, not your feet.
    Here is a link to an article with some basics:
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/gear/equipment/best-stability-ball-exercises/
  • dizzmizliz
    Options
    I've been suffering with bad PF for a month as well. I've been doing mostly stationary cycling and elliptical training at the gym and taking a looong time to really stretch out my calves afterwards. I've found wearing orthotics in my shoes helps and wear them in my gym shoes too.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting doesn't provide impact. Of course it might still iritate whatever condition you have but it could be a viable option.
  • irishladyo
    irishladyo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, they are very much appreciated!!!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have PF at the moment so my cardio is restricted to cycling (stationary and Spin) and the Rowing machine. I've also booked a swimming lesson course as I can't swim and know this is a good low impact exercise so figured I should learn!!! I tried the Arc Trainer but oddly found that actually hurt more - might just be because its a bit unnatural and uncomfortable. I also do weights 3 times a week.