New Runner's Advice Anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have run as much as 5 miles in one day, and I am still just thinking about a 10K. In March or maybe April.

You can barely make 2 miles in an exercise that you don't like, and you are thinking about a 13 mile race?

I don't get it.

Everybody hates running initially! Imo it's why there is such a high failure rate of c25k programs. Takes too long to get the stage where you can throw on your running shoes and go out for a proper 3/4 miles run and get that runners high.

I hated running in the beginning but now I love it in a masochistic kind of way.

I would expect that one of the leading causes of not sticking with running would be trying to do too much too fast. I know it derailed me a couple of times at the beginning of my running. I used a program of my own design called "Too far, Too fast, Too often" and it resulted in plantar fasciitis. Using C210k, I still had a few setbacks, but was able to work around them. (That said, I haven't ran any in the last month because of a foot problem I had before and after running my first 5k race, but that's more because of the abysmal weather as I'm not completely healed.)

So this still sounds like a VBI™ to me, because it increases the likelihood of a potential runner becoming an injured non-runner.

Racing can be fun. Racing to get ready for a race is the problem.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I started running in April 2013. I hated it all through school and one day I just got the urge to go run. Even today, after 2 official 5ks, I still find myself doing walk/run intervals.

I agree that April of this year is a very lofty goal. If you get injured and need a week or more to recover, you're already off track. If you want to run a half, maybe aim for this Fall.

As for the shin splints, I found that even though I thought I was running slow, I was still running too fast. It wasn't until I started running with a friend and having conversations with her while we ran that I realized I was still running too fast. When I slowed down, the shin splints went away. Obviously good shoes help a lot, too.

My big running goal for this year is to run a 10k in May. I need to get my butt in gear. I'll push that goal back to the fall if necessary.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    From a one new runner to another, I give you props for braving yourself to do a half marathon. I am working up to that slowly. I am focusing on small runs such as a 5k then moving up from there. What I do to help me run longer is that focus on running different distances each week. I am able to run up to 2 miles now so I need to be able to get to 3. So I started with focusing on running 1/2 mile first 2 weeks, then run up to 1 the following to week and so forth. Slowly adding on that distance and just focusing.

I think it is great that you are pushing yourself but at the same time dont let it const you with an injury.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am new to running however I have committed to a half marathon on April 19th. Last October, I began running some and was up to 3 miles. I struggled with severe shin splints and inflammation in my right foot. I got fitted for new running shoes and took some time off for my foot to heal. I'm 14 1/2 weeks out from the race and sucessfully suffered through 2 miles last night. I know that things will get easier since I have 40 pounds to lose. I currently despise running but have heard that as my body adjusts to it, I will grow to love and appreciate it. Has anyone found this to be true? Does anyone have any advice? I downloaded the 13.1 Run Coach which seems to be a good app. I'm just worried I'm going to fail but I'm tired of being chunky and really want to find something I can love and appreciate.

Feel free to add me! I need a good support group! =)

I started running last spring. I used the C25K app. I did hate it at first but have grown to appreciate it. I can't say that I love it but I do love what it did for my body and I love the way I feel after I run.

Don't worry about failing. You're doing more than you've done before. I walked all of my first 5K, Ran about half of the next one 2 months later and finally ran one 2 months after that. If you have to walk part of your half marathon, that's ok. I'd suggest maybe doing a couple of 5Ks beforehand just to build your confidence if nothing else. Don't worry about speed / time, just enjoy it and know you're doing something for your well being!

If you don't grow to enjoy running, try something else. You won't continue doing something long term that you don't enjoy!
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    I also don't really like running, but I know it's good for me, so I do it anyway. And I run a half marathon every year. Ok, maybe not run, I run/walk a half marathon every year. My goal in the half marathon is usually 1) to finish, and 2) not be last. And so far, I've finished all of them and I've never been last. I think if it's a goal you can really stick with do it. But listen to your body and take it slow. If you just started running, I definitely suggest run/walking the half. Good luck!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I personally think this is calling for an injury to happen, if you have not paid for the race I would sign up for a 5k and d a 5k training. I am running a Half in March but all of last year I spent time training for the half by following a program by Hal Higdon. Also last year I ran a couple of races to help me increase my mileage slowly.

I can speak from experience here, when I was younger I thought I could run a full marathon and joined a running group, I was not following the short run schedule during the week and the miles were increasing every weekend for the long runs. I hurt my knees and that kept me from running for years. I love running, running to me is not just a weight loss tool, but it is my therapy is what helps me distress and at the same time helps with weight loss.

I trained and ran for a 5k in 2012, that was hard after not running for years. Than in 2013 I decided that I wanted to keep running, I ran 3 10ks last year and one 15k now I know I am ready for the Half Marathon and cannot wait to complete that goal.

Long story short take your time, if you really want to enjoy running start slow run the small races. Get excited about completing one small goal at a time. That is just my humble opinion.

Also I would recommend going and get fitted for the right shoes at a running store that can make a big difference.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I am new to running however I have committed to a half marathon on April 19th. Last October, I began running some and was up to 3 miles. I struggled with severe shin splints and inflammation in my right foot. I got fitted for new running shoes and took some time off for my foot to heal. I'm 14 1/2 weeks out from the race and sucessfully suffered through 2 miles last night. I know that things will get easier since I have 40 pounds to lose. I currently despise running but have heard that as my body adjusts to it, I will grow to love and appreciate it. Has anyone found this to be true? Does anyone have any advice? I downloaded the 13.1 Run Coach which seems to be a good app. I'm just worried I'm going to fail but I'm tired of being chunky and really want to find something I can love and appreciate.

Feel free to add me! I need a good support group! =)

It can be done BUT you have to be careful.

I started running on January 6th 2013 at 200lbs. On my first 'run' it took me nearly an hour to do 5km. I could only run 20-30 seconds at a time and then needed 5-10 minutes to recover before I could try again. I went out every OTHER day and run/walked 5km each time and within 4 weeks I could run the full distance (I did not follow C25K). March 1st was the first time I ran 10km and April 6th I ran 18km for the 1st time. So I can say for me, with no previous running experience, a half marathon would have been doable by your deadline. I'll also add that I ran a full marathon in August (7 1/2 months after starting) and am now training for my first ultramarathon later this year (I've fallen in love with distance running).

The first month of being new to running is awful. It DOES get easier physically. Once you get beyond being able to run 5-10km you'll realize it's all mental after that. The most important thing is that you have to learn the difference between burning muscles, breathing heavy, exhaustion etc (all normal) and actual pain (not normal). Push through the normal stuff but if something HURTS (causing you to limp or move differently) then STOP and take a rest day or two. Know that there's a chance you might not make it to the race in April because if you injure yourself, even if it's minor, you don't have a lot of time to recover and resume training. Listen to your body and don't be stupid and think you can continue training through an injury.

I say go for it. I didn't like running at first but somewhere between my first run and crossing the finish line of my first marathon I completely fell in love with it.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    1. Not everyone loves running. - if you are injury prone and you aren't having a good time with it, it's OK to find something you do like.
    2. Running is not a magic weight loss pill. In fact, if you are building mileage too quickly, you may find yourself to be pretty hungry and eat too much to over compensate and actually gain weight.

If you want to lose weight, eat at a deficit, you don't need running for that.

That being said, I love running. I didn't always, at first, I hated it. My first attempt in 2011 at c25k, I kept getting colds, then I had strep 3 times in 2 months. Then it was winter so I let it go until 2012. It finally took and I gradually built from 5k to my 1st half marathon in 6 months, but I got burned out and didn't want to run for a couple of months.

I got over it, decided in Feb to train for half#2 in May of 2013 and ended up with pneumonia.

I am finally running successfully now, 3 years after I started, but it was a long road to get here.

Remember illness and injury is our body's way of telling us to slow down.

Even if you already registered for the race, it's OK not to run it. If you haven't registered, sign up for a 5k. 5ks are fun! Good luck!
  • mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I should have started by saying I've done several 5K's so I'm not completely new to running. However, I would not consider myself a runner because I've never fully been able to run a 5k. I've done 2 mud runs, a color run a trail run and several standard 5K's. I've got a few 5k's lined up in the next couple months. It's not my intent to run the full half. My goal this time is to finish. I know my military friend will run the whole thing. She is aware of my injury issues as well as my need to lose 40 pounds. I know that running is not a magic weight loss pill. However, you don't see many chubby runners.I absolutely love being outside and it's good outside exercise.

I will read through all the detailed advice during my lunch. I am going to do this. Even if I have to walk most of it. She's paid her money and I made a promise. Thank you aarar for posting your story. It really made this seem remotely possible after so many of what I glanced through say it's a bad idea. I have an orthapedic doctor who told me to go for it. I am using a run/walk interval app and good running shoes.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I will be sure to read everyones posts later today in depth.
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Not everyone "loves" running. I was training for a half and before I was injured, I was up to 7 miles. And, I hated every minute of it. BTW, my injury was from tennis, not running. Most people I know that run regularly don't love it during but love it after. That is true for me as well. The running wasn't exactly enjoyable for me, but I loved how I felt when I was done and I felt good the rest of the day. I just had to keep reminding myself of that. I will finally be able to start running again this weekend so I will be starting from scratch. I'm not looking forward to that but knowing I will feel better helps motivate me.

As for your training. I don't think it's unrealistic for you to participate in the half as long as you aren't convinced you have to run the entire thing. Also, I would suggest setting a goal of "finishing" rather than finishing within a certain time.

Good Luck!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hey Misty,
    if you don't already have one then i'd recommend a gps watch so that you can log your runs and distances. It's very motivating to see how many miles you have run in a week and trying to increase your distances/pace.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I should have started by saying I've done several 5K's so I'm not completely new to running. However, I would not consider myself a runner because I've never fully been able to run a 5k. I've done 2 mud runs, a color run a trail run and several standard 5K's. I've got a few 5k's lined up in the next couple months. It's not my intent to run the full half. My goal this time is to finish. I know my military friend will run the whole thing. She is aware of my injury issues as well as my need to lose 40 pounds. I know that running is not a magic weight loss pill. However, you don't see many chubby runners.I absolutely love being outside and it's good outside exercise.

I will read through all the detailed advice during my lunch. I am going to do this. Even if I have to walk most of it. She's paid her money and I made a promise. Thank you aarar for posting your story. It really made this seem remotely possible after so many of what I glanced through say it's a bad idea. I have an orthapedic doctor who told me to go for it. I am using a run/walk interval app and good running shoes.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I will be sure to read everyones posts later today in depth.

Given this update, I'm inclined to change my response from this being a Very Bad Idea™ to a Potentially Bad Idea™.

The biggest danger (IMHO) is that you push too hard in your training leading up the the race and run yourself into an overuse injury. The second biggest danger would be that you push too hard during the race itself. (The 34th biggest danger is being attacked by wild animals...in case anyone was curious.)

Best of luck and however this turns out for you, please post an update (in this thread so those of us involved in the discussion are sure to see it). You'll either have a success story (and you'll be able to tell me the grown-up equivalent of "nanny-nanny-boo-boo") or you'll have a learning experience (and you'll be able to inflate my already-overly-inflated ego a little more...er, I mean, you'll have a story to add to my future cautions for ambitious beginning runners). Honestly, I hope it's the former because running/overuse (and really any) injuries suck.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    While I won't say that I love running, I love the results and I sometimes crave it - while other times, it takes everything in me to lace up my sneakers and go out.

I have only every done 5ks for races, and my personal max distance is about 4 miles. My goal is always to be able to run the whole thing. That being said, we all have our own goals, so good luck with yours. I think that it will help you lose some of those lbs you are looking to lose, but just remember to be consistent with your exercise - and change it up every so often so that your body doesn't get used to it, as you will not get the results that you want.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think its a good goal to have an it sounds like you are being realistic about it- feel free to add me, we have similar goals. I thought people were a little too quick to dismiss you!

best of luck!
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Consider checking into a Galloway running program near you. Itis an interval training program. I am easily 75 pounds overweight, and I am currently training for a half marathon in march. I began my training in November, and I completed 8 miles today. I am VERY slow, but I am getting better each week. We run/walk as a group each week and it has been a wonderful experience.