feel il on 1200 calories

Options
Its my second week eating 1200 calories and i feel ill..foggy head tired. Following Rosemary Conley..when i get this week over with my calories are going up to 1400. Why do i feel so ill?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Most likely because you're not fueling your body with enough calories to properly function. Why would you wait for the week to be over? You feel sick, so do something about it now. Go ahead, eat something. Your body will thank you for it.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you're around 200 pounds, you are not eating enough on 1200 calories. You should also talk with a dietician about getting in the right kinds of foods.

I've found that the better "quality" of food you eat, the more of it you can have. What I mean by that is things like: having grilled or baked chicken instead of fried chicken; instead of having the chicken on a bun, have a baked potato instead.

One of my dieticians told me to focus on protein and the carbs/fats would take care of themselves. I've found that to be pretty accurate. Focus on what sort of protein you want for lunch....for example, I might go to Outback Steakhouse for lunch to get their 6 oz. sirloin. Then for a side, It's a little bit of a "choose your doom" game. Depending on whether or not I want the bread they have (usually it's a good idea to pass on the bread), if I do - I'll get a side of green beans - otherwise I might get a baked potato.
  • ohheytoned
    ohheytoned Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The answer to that depends on a lot of things. Age, height, weight? You don't provide any details. I eat 1240 calories a day and although I will say it is extremely hard, I definitely don't feel ill.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Its my second week eating 1200 calories and i feel ill..foggy head tired. Following Rosemary Conley..when i get this week over with my calories are going up to 1400. Why do i feel so ill?

It sounds like too few calories are not working for you. Why don't you just up those calories now? Also, if you exercise, be sure to eat a portion of those exercise calories back.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    The answer to that depends on a lot of things. Age, height, weight? You don't provide any details. I eat 1240 calories a day and although I will say it is extremely hard, I definitely don't feel ill.

Yuppers! give us your stats and we'll help you figure out it you can up your calories and still lose weight.
  • aia4
    aia4 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm five foot 3 and half and weight 201 pounds..I'm 33..Just had some thing to eat as i felf awful..My heart was beating to fast..out of breathe..All i could think of was i can't do another week of 1200 calories!Decided to up my calories to 1700 aday..Just had some chocolate for 283 calories and i feel better.My husband was worried..my chest had stopped hurting.I really thought i was going to die!!So far i've had under 1500 calories..But i don't feel like eating anything else now..I calucated my bmr rate and it was 1650. I just could stand the thought of another week at 1200 calories then upping to 1400..for two weeks.Then 1570 to lose the rest of the weight.Plus this was weigh in day and i lost 6 and a half pounds!In the first week!I know from experaince this can be bad..to lose quick and big..means its quick and fast back on! I can't tell you how much better i feel.I weighed the chocolate and logged it down..I'll open my food diary so people can look and comment....What i don't understand is why rosemary conley says 1200 calories if it make me feel ill!
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    With the info you gave us of 5'3", 201 pounds and 33 years old (I'm assuming female) you should be eating as follows:

you need 1903 Calories/day to maintain your weight
    you need 1403 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week
    you need 903 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week - This would be bad!
    you need 2403 Calories/day to gain 1 lb per week
    you need 2903 Calories/day to gain 2 lb per week

This is if you are not exercising at all. If you active (you work retail, walk daily to work, etc) then you should be eating more.

1200 is way too low for you. I'm 5'4", 195 pounds and 39 years old and I eat 1400 calories a day minimum (unless I'm creating a deficit for another day to go over).

You are eating too few calories. You really need to do some research before you hurt yourself hun.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    What i don't understand is why rosemary conley says 1200 calories if it make me feel ill!

I don't know who this person is, but chances are she's "selling" something... ie her diet plan & exercise regimen. 1200 calories is not right for everyone.

As stated by previous posters, you should probably be closer in the1600 range, and if you exercise, more. As for your weigh-in, since you've only been at it a week, the big drop is from water. It's okay to lose alot in the first couple weeks since it's water. After that you should really try to stay within the 2 lb range. 1-1.5 lbs is even better.

Don't restrict yourself so much that you're miserable and ill. Take it slow, enjoy the foods you love, within a moderate calorie goal.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Try this tool which helps you design a nutrition plan based on your lifestyle and wellness goals.

Who is Rosemary Conley?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 35. I started at 213, eating 1600 to 1700 the whole time, and I've lost 72 lbs in a year. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight.
  • 1mountainmama
    Options
    Hi Hun, I am a dietitian. I would agree that it sounds like you are not eating enough. Weight loss is a delicate balance. Starve yourself too hard and it will all backfire on you. If you get much activity at all, 1200 cals is not enough. 1200 MAY be ok if you are sedentary (not recommended :)), if you eat back your exercise calories... it is hard to say without knowing more about you. Many think 1200 is a great place to start a a"diet" because it's the lowest that most reliable sources say you should go. BUT IT IS THE LOWEST for a reason, and doesn't work for everyone, or even most people. Try upping to 1400 and even more if you exercise heavily. Best of luck. :)
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 35. I started at 213, eating 1600 to 1700 the whole time, and I've lost 72 lbs in a year. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight.

This and I think a lot of people go to the lowest common denominator right away. 1200 is too low for a lot of people, also 2 pounds per week should be reserved for folks that need to lose more than 100 pounds, Which you don't so stick to the 1 to 1.5 pounds per week goal. Also make sure you set your activity level correctly AND eat back most exercise calories.
  • angeseabridge
    angeseabridge Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've started back on Rosemary Conley this week and on 1200 calories now, I've never had a problem with it (5' 1", 10st 8), I feel a bit hungry but definitely not ill as you describe. You've done the right thing, upping the calories. Do you go to classes? I would speak to the franchisee about it, that's what they are there for.

RC worked for me when I stuck to it, only reason I lapsed was due to moving, twice, new role at work, completely stressed....
    I even found I lost if I went a bit over the calories but stuck to the less than 5% fat rule!

Good luck!
  • aia4
    aia4 Posts: 10
    Options
    I wasn't hungry on 1200 calories just felt like i was going to die..Rosemary Conley said 1200 calories first two weeks.(i did one week)then up it to 1400 calories for another two weeks..Then 1570 for my height and weight.But i've felt so ill on the 1200 i'm skipping the steps and doing the 1570 calories for my weight and height..My mum told me i was started too low..This is the second time I've dieted. The first time was Weight watchers..I followed the plan and fainted at the bus stop..following the points.I thought after the first week on 1200 calories i'd feel better but no!I
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Googled and Rosemary Conley is UK version of Jillian Michaels???
    Anyhow... you are doing the right thing by upping your calories if you are feeling ill. As others have posted, you should definitely be eating more. Here's an excellent thread where you can read more on how to lose weight safely and how to calculate a safe and sustainable calorie deficit.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • angeseabridge
    angeseabridge Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find Weightwatchers is the similar but with points instead of calories!

My understanding of the 1200 calories is that it gives you a boost which helps you stick with it long term. It sounds like it doesn't suit you to go so low in a diet, it may be worth checking it out with your doctor just to be on the safe side. You lost a huge amount in your first week, I lost 7lbs in 2 weeks at the beginning which is about average.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    With the info you gave us of 5'3", 201 pounds and 33 years old (I'm assuming female) you should be eating as follows:

This is if you are not exercising at all. If you active (you work retail, walk daily to work, etc) then you should be eating more.

1200 is way too low for you. I'm 5'4", 195 pounds and 39 years old and I eat 1400 calories a day minimum (unless I'm creating a deficit for another day to go over).

You are eating too few calories. You really need to do some research before you hurt yourself hun.

I think your calculations might be a little off there. I've calculated under sedentary, since the OP has not said whether or not she exercises: I went here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

BMR: 1665
    TDEE: 1998
    Lose 1/2 pound wk: 1898
    Lose 1 pound wk: 1798
    Lose 1.5 pounds wk: 1698
    Lose 2 pounds a wk: 1598
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I think your calculations might be a little off there. I've calculated under sedentary, since the OP has not said whether or not she exercises: I went here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

BMR: 1665
    TDEE: 1998
    Lose 1/2 pound wk: 1898
    Lose 1 pound wk: 1798
    Lose 1.5 pounds wk: 1698
    Lose 2 pounds a wk: 1598

No, this isn't right.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I dieted, about 22 years ago, I went on a low fat diet (does anyone remember the "Hip and Thigh Diet"?), and I remember feeling pretty sick.

Hey, guess what? I just googled "hip and thigh diet" and it is by Rosemary Conley! Snap!

I think it might be the low fat component, combined with such a low calorie goal, that was making you feel so bad.