Juicing, baby.

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to find out which toxins are being eliminated in this detox that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while still eating food.

You don't have to name all of them...just one. Please, OP, just give the name of *ONE* toxin. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:

Hey, so if you read any of the more recent posts I've made, you see that I've been given a lot of really great information about what you're saying there. It's taking me a bit of time to give it all a good read. The most useful post so far I believe was the one which includes the nutrition label photos- included tons of good information and food for thought. In short, I realize that it's easy for me to imagine my body being full of bad "toxins" (because I've grown up eating junk) and not to give my body enough credit for the work it does to process and eliminate what it doesn't need.

Glad to hear about your progress in thinking this through more carefully.

I was just hoping for an answer to the Great Unanswered Detox Question.

Perhaps in the next "detox" thread I will find it. Perhaps.

It is my only reason for even being on MFP, to find an answer to this one question...

...and I will not let this deter me from my quest.
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    In...

...to find out which toxins are being eliminated in this detox that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while still eating food.

You don't have to name all of them...just one. Please, OP, just give the name of *ONE* toxin. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:

Hey, so if you read any of the more recent posts I've made, you see that I've been given a lot of really great information about what you're saying there. It's taking me a bit of time to give it all a good read. The most useful post so far I believe was the one which includes the nutrition label photos- included tons of good information and food for thought. In short, I realize that it's easy for me to imagine my body being full of bad "toxins" (because I've grown up eating junk) and not to give my body enough credit for the work it does to process and eliminate what it doesn't need.

Glad to hear about your progress in thinking this through more carefully.

I was just hoping for an answer to the Great Unanswered Detox Question.

Perhaps in the next "detox" thread I will find it. Perhaps.

It is my only reason for even being on MFP, to find an answer to this one question...

...and I will not let this deter me from my quest.

HAHA. Well, I wish you luck on the journey!
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    HELP... What are macros?

"Macros"= macronutrients. Mainly referring to protein, carbohydrates, and fat. These are the 3 nutrients to keep the closest eye on when it comes to weight changes, whether your goal is weight loss, maintenance, or whether you're a bodybuilder looking to bulk up. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    HELP... What are macros?

Protein, Carbs, Fat.

MFP tends to set your protein requirement quite low, feel free to go over that. Fat..... don't shy away from healthy fats, your body needs them.
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    I eat a pretty robust diet of whatever. I'm trying to cut fat right now, so I find that if I'm still hungry at the end of the day, I'll put a pound of carrots and a half pound of celery into the blender (a little tabasco a little worchester, maybe a tomato and a clove of garlic, etc), blend it up, and drink it down.

Plenty of fiber, under 200 calories, and it's like two pounds of food.

Definitely wouldn't do that exclusively because of the way my digestive tract is designed, but as a supplement to an otherwise well-rounded diet, it's a good tool.

A pound of carrots!! I'm not sure I'd even be capable of putting that down at all. But I get what you're saying in general. I think filling up on blended veggies is a good alternative to trying to scrimp for calories in juice.
  • KNEBerrett
    Options
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    HELP... What are macros?

Protein, Carbs, Fat.

MFP tends to set your protein requirement quite low, feel free to go over that. Fat..... don't shy away from healthy fats, your body needs them.

Even better, go to "custom" in your goals and change them to more reasonable numbers.

ETA: Also, please use the "quote" link instead of "reply". That way, we'll be better able to understand the conversation. (And yes, MFP should label these links for better clarity.)
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, but I'll give you a recipe I use on occasion:

* 2-2.5 cups of water
    * 2 handfuls of spinach
    * half a .......bunch?....lol, half a thing of kale
    * half a thing of chard
    * 1 carrot

Blend until smooth(ish)

*1 pear
    *1 apple (I like the green granny smith ones)
    *1 banana
    *a couple of grapes
    *1 small wedge of lemon (rind intact)

Blend again. Done!

If you want it more like a smoothie, fill it with ice rather than water. I use this Ninja blender, but really any blender will work, so long as you don't mind your drink being a little chunky. My fiance wants to start drinking these but he has a real bad thing about texture, so we're looking into an upgrade for a smoother product.

That being said, I use this only because my stubborn eating habits are hard to break and I wouldn't get so many vegetables and fruits in my diet otherwise. You shouldn't use the words "detox" or "cleanse" when appealing to a diet because its a complete falsehood that toxins build up in the body from so called "processed" food. Any detoxifying necessary for good health is already accomplished by both the liver and kidneys.

And the reason why you've gotten so many sarcastic and somewhat condescending remarks is because the topics of detox and cleansing diets has been brought up in the forums at least once a day, everyday. Usually by people who won't heed the sound advice of other posters.

I don't want to sound mean when I say this, but if you ever want to learn information about something, you should type keywords into the Search bar in the forums first, because most likely it has already been approached and answered.

But, good luck on your weight loss/better health journey!

:drinker:
  • KNEBerrett
    Options
    Thanks, I still have so much to learn :wink: :ohwell:
  • KNEBerrett
    Options
    Great idea thanks!! :happy:
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have the Philips juicer, £60. It was recommended by 'which', Jason Vale also recommends Philips, although Philips do different juicers at different prices. Love mine. I would also recommend anything from Jason Vale, he has a lot of information in his books/apps and is very motivational.
    I've done a 6 day juice. Skin felt amazing and you become very clear headed. I have ADHD and was able to clean the whole flat in one go, OK that may not sound like a big deal but that would normally be something I just wouldn't be capable of. Other things would catch my attention, I would procrastinate and lose concentration.
    Just eating clean and cutting things out of your diet won't make you feel like juicing does.

One other thing, I noticed you've replied to every negative comment, personally I would skip the negative comments to keep myself positive. Don't feel you have to stand up for yourself or explain yourself. There's nothing wrong with what they are saying and people have very strong thoughts on the subject, but it's also OK to have a difference of opinion too. Just saying. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, but I'll give you a recipe I use on occasion:

* 2-2.5 cups of water
    * 2 handfuls of spinach
    * half a .......bunch?....lol, half a thing of kale
    * half a thing of chard
    * 1 carrot

Blend until smooth(ish)

*1 pear
    *1 apple (I like the green granny smith ones)
    *1 banana
    *a couple of grapes
    *1 small wedge of lemon (rind intact)

Blend again. Done!

If you want it more like a smoothie, fill it with ice rather than water. I use this Ninja blender, but really any blender will work, so long as you don't mind your drink being a little chunky. My fiance wants to start drinking these but he has a real bad thing about texture, so we're looking into an upgrade for a smoother product.

That being said, I use this only because my stubborn eating habits are hard to break and I wouldn't get so many vegetables and fruits in my diet otherwise. You shouldn't use the words "detox" or "cleanse" when appealing to a diet because its a complete falsehood that toxins build up in the body from so called "processed" food. Any detoxifying necessary for good health is already accomplished by both the liver and kidneys.

And the reason why you've gotten so many sarcastic and somewhat condescending remarks is because the topics of detox and cleansing diets has been brought up in the forums at least once a day, everyday. Usually by people who won't heed the sound advice of other posters.

I don't want to sound mean when I say this, but if you ever want to learn information about something, you should type keywords into the Search bar in the forums first, because most likely it has already been approached and answered.

But, good luck on your weight loss/better health journey!

:drinker:

Thanks! This has been really helpful to read! I've been a member on MFP for a while but have only started really using it and looking around in the last several days, so it's helpful to know where I can find existing topics on the things I'm wondering.

I try to collect advice and tips from the responses I get (I've actually written a list of the articles that people have linked me to) and I write down additional questions I have as a result, if any. I don't really see the point in posting if I'm not going to even be open to opposing viewpoints, lol.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. OP, glad you educated yourself and also glad you're trying to incorporate more micronutrients.

If you're bent on remaining vegetarian/vegan through this process, make sure you have a good source of fats in your diet. Nut butters, nuts, avocados, etc.

Avocado blended with a tomato, onion, some hot sauce, cilantro, and a dash of lime is my favorite. If you add greek yogurt and water, it's a pretty creamy shake.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    The thing I've never understood about juicing is how it could possibly be any different than just eating fresh veg and fruit.

To me, the only thing you're doing is losing the fibre, which isn't necessarily a good thing, and cutting the time it takes to chew.

I have nothing against doing it, if you're getting the nutrients you need, I just don't understand the logic over just eat real food.
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    This is a great thread. OP, glad you educated yourself and also glad you're trying to incorporate more micronutrients.

If you're bent on remaining vegetarian/vegan through this process, make sure you have a good source of fats in your diet. Nut butters, nuts, avocados, etc.

Avocado blended with a tomato, onion, some hot sauce, cilantro, and a dash of lime is my favorite. If you add greek yogurt and water, it's a pretty creamy shake.

Wow, that sounds really good! I'll have to write this one down too! Thanks for the suggestion.
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    The thing I've never understood about juicing is how it could possibly be any different than just eating fresh veg and fruit.

To me, the only thing you're doing is losing the fibre, which isn't necessarily a good thing, and cutting the time it takes to chew.

I have nothing against doing it, if you're getting the nutrients you need, I just don't understand the logic over just eat real food.

I don't have anything against eating tons of fruit and veg, but my main issue is time. I'm on the road all day for work and juicing (or as I'm recently discovering, blending the veggies/fruits) makes it easier to take in a LOT of good stuff more quickly and it's also pretty portable. :) I love food. I love eating. I'd much rather sit down and be able to enjoy a plate of veg and fruit, but that's not doable most weekdays for me.
  • cassy_runs
    Options

Hey thanks, I'm really glad you posted this! I found both of these extremely helpful and am re-thinking the juice idea. I'm glad you had these handy!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

I don't have anything against eating tons of fruit and veg, but my main issue is time. I'm on the road all day for work and juicing (or as I'm recently discovering, blending the veggies/fruits) makes it easier to take in a LOT of good stuff more quickly and it's also pretty portable. :) I love food. I love eating. I'd much rather sit down and be able to enjoy a plate of veg and fruit, but that's not doable most weekdays for me.

Thanks for the response. That actually makes sense to me. Working in a time crunch but still getting healthy stuff rather than store bought shakes and such
  • cassy_runs
    Options

Thanks for the response. That actually makes sense to me. Working in a time crunch but still getting healthy stuff rather than store bought shakes and such

For sure! I shy away from buying shakes and pre-made juices. I think my original post made people think I'm anti real food... uhh.. nope. I adore food. I didn't get this heavy by being indifferent to food! Lol. I'm just looking to continue making healthy changes. At this point, I feel I'm ready for more drastic ones. Juicing is looking less and less like the change I need to make, but that's okay. I'll find the right one!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    To clarify my position on this...

Exclusively juicing seems like a bad idea to me with little real benefit. Adding some juice to an otherwise well-balanced calorie controlled diet is okay. Adding a smoothie (where the whole edible fruit or veggies is consumed) seems like an even better idea.