I’m making myself crazy calorie counting!

Options
I’m 18 and next year around July I want to go to racing school (horse racing that is) The weight requirement is126lb. I have 12 mouths to lose this weight. I used to be 172lb then wanted to go down to 140. Until I decided to race. I am now 141lb and I’m making myself crazy. I eat between 7500-8200 calories a week. So about 1100 a day on average. I’m starting to think I have a really messed up view on what I should eat. For instance I have an active life, I worked at a stables for 12 hours today, and after eating dinner I had a bowl of porridge too, and now I feel guilty (which is stupid but I cant help it) i'm like this all the time when i eat. How much do you eat to lose weight, because I’m terrified I wont be at the right weight in time for an interview, But I’m beginning to think my mind set I unhealthy.
(At the interview they weight you)

Replies

• ohheytoned
    ohheytoned Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, eating disorders are quite common for those who horse race, for obvious reasons. You should watch out for this. It alarms me that you fill guilty after eating a bowl of oatmeal when you're already eating so few calories. MyFitnessPal would not set you below a calorie goal of 1200 - how did you come up with the 1100 number? Just wondering. Anyone would be starving at that amount of calories. I eat 1240 a day and if I don't exercise (thus gain more cals), I feel ravenous. Hey, calorie counting drives everyone crazy. We would ALL rather not to do it. We do it because we have to, because we all have a goal. You have to put things into perspective.

You need to reevaluate your diet and make sure you're eating nutrient dense food and getting all the nutrients your body needs. Can you do that at 1100 cals/day? Do not starve yourself. You only need to lose 15 pounds and you have 1 year to do that. It will probably take you 6-7 months MAX. I would say punch in your information into MFP and see what number they give you - it will likely be 1200-1300 (my guess). That is a healthy amount to eat per day. 1100 is too low. If you're truly following a strict calorie deficit and working out, you shouldn't have problems reaching your goal and having a little more peace of mind while doing it in half the time of your goal.
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Its not exactly 1100 I base it on a week. E.g. 1200 one day 1050 the next 1300 the next, it means my body doesn’t adjust to the intake and I stop losing. I see what you mean tho (and yes it alarms me too, I know what I eat is healthy but I still cant get it out of my head) Looking into what you said I may look and see what mfp comes up with and change my weekly intake to match up with the instead. Thanks for the in put.
  • ajmalbaby
    ajmalbaby Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you set your goal on MFP to lose .5 pounds a week then you'll be able to lose the weight in 7 months plus be able to up your calorie intake. 1100-1200 is really low and thats probably why your so hungry and you may be feeling tired or irritated (if you are cuz i know i would be). Make sure your eating a high fiber breakfast to fill you up and make you feel full for longer and loads of water.