Anyone have a healthy sweet potato hash recipe?

Options
msunat97
msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
I'm looking for a healthy sweet potato hash / breakfast mixup type of recipe. Please pass along what you can. I'd like to mix more sweet potatoes into my diet & thought a has type dish would be good. Hearty, but healthy for breakfast.

Thanks!

Replies

• flab2fit_30
    Options
    I put 12 eggs, 4 sweet potatoes, tons of veggies (whatever you really like will work), and 1 package of turkey sausage into a crockpot on low for 8 hours... makes a super delicious casserole with enough servings for my husband and i to have breakfast all week long.

you could make something really similar on the stove top in the mornings if you choose, but i meal prep once a week for 2 people for 6 days and 2 meals and 2 snacks.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do a sweet potato breakfast hash a lot. 1lb. ground turkey sausage with 3-4 sweet potatoes-chopped, 1 chopped onion, cinnamon, salt, pepper and chicken stock to taste. I cook the sausage , remove from pan add sweet potatoes an onion with a little olive oil, sauté then add chicken stock and took until potatoes are tender, add sausage and spices and cook until mixed well (only a couple of minutes). I usually add a poached egg on top but it's good on its own as well.
  • msunat97
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • missvie
    missvie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used this one recently and it was really good! http://www.realfoodmagazine.com/sweet-potato-hash-recipe/ I added ground venison but you can add any meat you like.. or not!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I need some new breakfast ideas for the work week. A friend just sent me her sweet potato hash recipe so I'll probably try that one this weekend, but I know I'll want to tinker with it and put my own spin on it.
  • msunat97
    Options
    @bluelena - please let us know how it turns out
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I made up one the other day that had onions, garlic and bacon in it... just a couple of slices added some great flavor!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I combined some recipes/ideas this morning and I think I hit the nail on the head. I weighed all of my ingredients to form the MFP recipe for my own use (I do recipes by weight, not serving), but here's essentially what I did:

Diced a couple of medium sized sweet potatoes into small cubes (maybe 1/2 inch?) and sprayed with cooking spray. Seasoned with pepper and garlic powder and roasted at about 425F, stirring every 10-15 minutes or so.

While that was going on, I browned a pound of Jennie-O ground turkey sausage with a few cloves of garlic and about 1/2 a yellow onion, sliced. I threw in some garlic powder and a little bit of dried oregano and thyme. The onion put off a lot of water, so I raised the heat once the meat was cooked and let the water cook off. This resulted in the sausage getting nicely browned. I deglazed with a splash of chicken broth and kept it on low while the sweet potato finished roasting.

Once the sweet potato was done, I let it cool for about 5 minutes and then mixed it in with the sausage.

Then I cooked a couple of over easy eggs (cooking spray, no butter) and piled them on top of a good sized portion of the hash.

SO GOOD. For work days this week, all I have to do is warm up some of the hash in a pan and cook an egg or two. Quick. Savory. Filling.

6oz of the hash + 2 eggs = 375 calories and a crap ton of protein. Boom.
  • foodprof
    Options
    Begin by heating 1 - 2 tsps peanut oil in a heavy iron skillet.
    Grate one sweet potato or yam into a bowl and add 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp paprika or cayenne, and a small squirt of either maple syrup or agave (not because they are "healthy" but because they are liquid. Add a sprinkle of salt and some black pepper and mix it all well.

Dump the grated, seasoned sweet potato into the very hot oil and spread it around evenly. Let the potatoes sizzle and after 1 or 2 minutes, flip them. they should be golden brown. Cook the same way on the other side, for 1 or two minutes. Sorry, I thought you said sweet potato hash browns. You will like these, though, I promise.