Stronglifts 5x5 really build muscle???

Options
Hey all,

I have been into hypertrophy only training for the past year. I've done the main compound lifts fist followed by isolation work. Been working heavy (80-85% max) with progressive overload and reps in the 6-10 or 8-12 range. I've started doing Brandon Campbell's P.H.U.L. training program at the start of the year. I really enjoy my two power upper/lower days of training in the 5 rep range on the compound lifts on Mondays and Tuesdays. Plus I get an accessory lift for each muscle group on th same day in the 6-10 rep range. Then two upper/lower hypertrophy days on Thursdays and Fridays. With the strength and hypertrophy I can see a person getting stronger and building the size with this hybrid program. My question is in researching StrongLifts 5x5, I'm wondering can a person truly build muscle with only those lifts in that rep range? I was thinking about giving it a try after I finish running P.H.U.L. but not sure if I will build muscle without any higher rep stuff. Looking for any comments from those that have been throught the StrongLifts program with any results. Strength, muscle, or both? Also, If you thing sticking to one of these hybrid type programs would be best for me considering my goals. Which are to gain strength but not looking to be a power lifter and build muscle. I don't plan on ever just training in the 1-3 rep range.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What exactly are your goals? If it is purely to build muscle mass, you probably won't like the program. It is more geared to build strength. For most people, that will include some muscle mass, but not if you're already trained. One thing to consider is how taking a strength training cycle will benefit you when you cycle back onto mass work and have much more raw strength. Cycling and patience should pay off.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You'll absolutely build muscle on a 5x5 program, doing nothing but the exercises described in them. There's no need to do any isolation work in addition to it either (imho), as your body is going to be fully taxed just recovering from your heavy, compound lifts. But those programs are primarily designed for strength training, not hypertrophy.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I may have to stick to the hybrid program I started. I'm just thinking I've found my sweet spot in rep range. Maybe 4-6 reps.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Options
    I may have to stick to the hybrid program I started. I'm just thinking I've found my sweet spot in rep range. Maybe 4-6 reps.

I use a hybrid as well-- it feels like a good balance overall. But I'll switch over to a 5x5 occasionally for a few months to break a plateau or just shake things up.
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options
    I use a hybrid as well-- it feels like a good balance overall. But I'll switch over to a 5x5 occasionally for a few months to break a plateau or just shake things up.
    [/quote]

That sounds like good advice. Thanks. How do you get over plateaus with it if you don't mind me asking?
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You'll definitely build size on a 5x5 program. Just because the rep ranges are geared more towards strength doesn't mean sarcoplasmic hypertrophy won't be achieved....a 6-8 rep range at 75% 1rm will give a near equal moderate amount of myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (strength and muscle growth), whereas moving to a 9-12 range will focus largely on sarcoplasmic, some myofibrillar and a little endurance.

I'd rather focus on 6-8 because you're achieving the best of both worlds...just my .2
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options
    You'll definitely build size on a 5x5 program. Just because the rep ranges are geared more towards strength doesn't mean sarcoplasmic hypertrophy won't be achieved....a 6-8 rep range at 75% 1rm will give a near equal moderate amount of myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (strength and muscle growth), whereas moving to a 9-12 range will focus largely on sarcoplasmic, some myofibrillar and a little endurance.

I'd rather focus on 6-8 because you're achieving the best of both worlds...just my .2

This is great info. I was looking for this. I was thinking in th range of 4 or 5-8.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Options
    That sounds like good advice. Thanks. How do you get over plateaus with it if you don't mind me asking?

I couldn't really tell you what's going on physiologically, but someone suggested I try switching over to a 5x5 once when I'd been stalled out on overhead press and bench for several months. I had to drop down the weight I was moving at first, but was surprised to find I pretty much walked through my previous ceiling after a few weeks. Something about the lower rep range and pace of progression, I suppose. Really good for strength gains.

Anyway, I just switched back to my hybrid routine after 14 weeks or whatever it was. I expect I'll go back to a 5x5 when I hit another plateau.
  • Amadbro
    Options
    OP if you're looking for a good hybrid routine here is the one I currently use. It's probably the best routine I've ever come across and holds a great medium between strength and hypertrophic rep ranges. Focuses on isolation and compound exercises.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/

It's made to be followed and not amended or added on to
  • Mr_Excitement
    Options
    OP if you're looking for a good hybrid routine here is the one I currently use. It's probably the best routine I've ever come across and holds a great medium between strength and hypertrophic rep ranges. Focuses on isolation and compound exercises.

*Bookmarking. That's an interesting workout. I might have to try that myself.
  • Amadbro
    Options

*Bookmarking. That's an interesting workout. I might have to try that myself.

Do this routine, eat good food, get plenty of rest and you will grow like a weed.
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options

I use and love this routine. It was what I used most of the year last year. I was cutting most of the year but the newbie gains came and I dropped a ton of fat without a bunch of cardio.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...because this discussion is relevant to my interests.
  • Obey46
    Obey46 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Look into Layne Norton's PHAT for hypertrophy/strength. Similar to PHUL in some ways.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a surplus?

From what I've read, volume is important for gaining size. Not sure Stronglifts will do that for you.

This is Lyle McDonald's generic bulking plan:

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I was googling this topic just recently. I read that a simple way to add hypertrophy to SL is after you finish your last set, back off the weight and complete a set in the 8-12 rep range.

I'll find the source when I can be bothered. I don't even recall how respected a source it was.

ETA : It was actually a backoff set of 10-30 reps. Source -

http://muscleevo.net/stronglifts-5x5-workout/#.Us9ol55dUuc

Before I get personally flamed about any inaccuracies in that article, I'm just sharing what I found. I don't have the experience to judge it's quality at this time, which is one reason I figured I'd put it here.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Both will build size as well as strength. I seriously doubt you would be able to tell the difference in size gain between the two routines as a new lifter. All other things being the same.

The program you are on is a great one though. If you like it there is really no need to switch unless you just want to try out other programs.

Personally I like routines with periodization built in. Working across multiple rep ranges is more enjoyable for me but my main goal is not power lifting either.
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In...

...because this discussion is relevant to my interests.
    Yepp!
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options
    Both will build size as well as strength. I seriously doubt you would be able to tell the difference in size gain between the two routines as a new lifter. All other things being the same.

The program you are on is a great one though. If you like it there is really no need to switch unless you just want to try out other programs.

Personally I like routines with periodization built in. Working across multiple rep ranges is more enjoyable for me but my main goal is not power lifting either.

I'm thinking the same thing. I looked at Layne Norton's PHAT but I like the 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off approach of Brandon's workout. I may be sticking to it. I wanted to see what others thought of the StrongLifts 5x5 claim's of muscle gains with his program. Plus I'm not sure I can handle squating heavy three days a week.
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options
    Are you eating at a surplus?

From what I've read, volume is important for gaining size. Not sure Stronglifts will do that for you.

This is Lyle McDonald's generic bulking plan:

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696

I am experimenting with finding my true maintenance calories right now. Adding a 100 each week to see if I gain a pound or not. I've ate at a deficit for so long. Then I will eat a a sight surplus.