Is my measuring spoon correct?

Options
2»

Replies

• WhisperAnne
    Options
    This is an excellent video thatb shows how easy it is to overmeasure peanut butter. I've been weighing ever since.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Great video. Also eye opening and scary how wrong we all are most of the time!
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent video thatb shows how easy it is to overmeasure peanut butter. I've been weighing ever since.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Great video. Also eye opening and scary how wrong we all are most of the time!

No need to be scared or avoid peanut butter altogether. But weighing carefully can at least help you make choices with eyes wide open. You can still eat peanut butter, but if you're trying to stay within a calorie target, you might as well eat only the amount that fits within that target rather than pretending it does by eyeballing it. I know when I just want to eyeball it, it's very hard to be honest with myself and if I double-check I RARELY have eyeballed it in a way that OVER-estimates the calories I'm about to eat.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    it depends, in Australia one tbsp is 20ml, whereas in the UK it's 15ml, it's something to keep in mind when using measuring spoons and entries in the database. weighing is a bit more accurate
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale and weigh the peanut butter instead. Much more accurate.

Here's the one I bought (after going through 3 other ones that sucked):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HZWB3W/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I paid $6, including shipping, for it last year. I'd buy the very same one again if it ever broke, even though it's a few dollars more this time.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    At this rate I'm not touching Peanutbutter again for a long time. I guess I was right in putting 2 servings. I might of even had 3 with how panicked I am now. Because of this I barely ate today so I made sure I didn't go overboard on calories. :mad:

You need to eat fat. Avoiding foods because they are high calories (peanut butter, olive oil) is just going to lead to health problems. You seem to have a lot of issues based around calories and food....I would suggest seeing someone to work on these issues before they become even more serious.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yeah a tablespoon is way bigger than I realized at first! I used to put in my diary that I was eating a tablespoon of olive oil whenever I cooked things on the stove. And then I actually measured out a tablespoon of olive oil and it was like a **** TON of olive oil. Like wayyyy more than I wanted.

1 serving of PB is usually listed as 2 tablespoons (which is a good amount!) and about 180-200 calories.

I never use olive oil because of the high calories! to scary lol. Though I know it can be good for you too.
    I was so unsure and nervous after I ate. I had to keep looking at that measuring spoon to make sure it said 1 Tablespoon. Since PB is 2 TBSP a serving I filled it up twice and made sure it wasn't heaping off the spoon.

oh but olive oil is so good for you!
  • lLionMindl
    lLionMindl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No. Weigh your food when you can.
    Don't sweat it though. Its going to be close enough.