question about strength training... Please

Options
Is it important to strength train WHILE trying to lose weight? Or do I do cardio until I burn off the fat, and THEN do strength to tone up?

If they are supposed to be simultaneous during weight loss, can you please give me a ratio? Like spend 50/50 time on cardio vs. strength, or 70/30, or whatever...

Thank you so much for your time!

As always, if anyone wants any more motivational friends, add me on MFP :)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    While losing weight. You want to preserve the muscle while you're losing and not be all jiggly. I have no idea the ratio...
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you should start strength training as soon as possible. Like the other person said it helps to preserve your LBM which is something you definitely don't want to lose!

There is no special ratio you have to use. Most people will say here that strength training is more important than cardio. So I would say start with 2-3 sessions of strength training per week. You can do some cardio after you strength train or you can do cardio on separate days. Make sure to have at least one rest day though.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    What I've seen recommended most is full-body strength lifting for 3x a week. Cardio is fine afterwards and the other days from what I've gathered.

From my own reading, it seems 2x a week may be enough lifting, but it isn't as good as 3x.

Those lifting days need to be spread out for recovery, so remember that when you schedule it :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    besides your diet a strength building routine is the most important aspect to losing weight effectively and having the body you want.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Eat at a moderate caloric deficit to lose weight, lift heavy weights 3x per week through a program like Stronglifts 5x5 (search it on google), or NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women), or Starting Strength to maintain LBM and maximize fat burn. A little cardio, say 10-20 minutes worth after your lifting session should be more than enough unless your current goal is to run distance or something else that is endurance oriented.
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you are dieting while strength training, the ratio is pretty much any amount of cardio until it starts affecting your strength training / workouts

That would be because you're going too intense on the cardio thus you are taking energy away from lifting maximal weight in your strength sessions

Otherwise, you can eat some of those calories you burnt on the cardio to provide sufficient energy for strength workouts