exercising on an empty stomach

Options
does exercising on an empty stomach burn more fat? i heard it helps u lose weight faster but idk. does any1 know if it works?

Replies

• JosephTucker
    Options
    Will a car run on an empty take of gas?? :) You might pass out and have no energy. I was in a class last year and a lady came to exercise on empty stomach, she fainting and broke her jaw and a few teeth. Got to eat before exercising. At least a few hours before.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I personally can't do it. I get about 10 minutes into the workout and I get light headed from the lack of food. When I workout in the morning on the weekends, I have a really light breakfast first and then I'll eat after I'm done. I've found if I don't eat an afternoon snack before my evening workouts, I have so much less energy. I might be burning more fat, but I can't put in the effort on an empty stomach so it probably balances out.
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i always exercise in the morning before eating... (4:30 am) i dont want to wait around after eating something to work out. I prefer it, when ive worked out after eating - like in the night time- it feels different to me and i dont like it. calories burned would come out the same, i think its just preference.
  • ysaidpie
    ysaidpie Posts: 83
    Options
    I seem to have better luck if I exercise first thing in the morning. I eat half a banana sometimes for the energy to make it thru my exercise. I noticed I lost more weight than when I did night exercises. Calories are calories though, so it doesn't make sense.... Maybe I just had more energy and rexercised harder in the AM as opposed to at night after all the daily stressors. I do walk at night tho regardless because it helps with digestion of dinner. But running after dinner- a definate NO. Did that the other day and thought I was going to regurgitate :(
  • daydreem81
    daydreem81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It does maxamize fat burning BUT you don't want to do it on a completely empty stomach espicially if you want to preserve lean muscle mass. I would have a protein shake before you work out or maybe greek yogurt since it it high in protein. You will also need the carbs for energy. You want to lose fat not muscle so make sure you give your body a little something before you work out.
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    I don't like to work out on an empty stomach, but I also don't like to work out on a full stomach either. I have found that if I have a snack about 30min-1hr before I work out I am usually good to go. I usually have peanuts and raisins for a little sweet and a little salty:bigsmile:
  • christinexoxo2010
    Options
    i dont have much energy in the morning especially before i eat but i was thinking it would help burn fat cuz if my body isnt running on food cal then maybe it would use fat????? idk
  • daydreem81
    daydreem81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nope. It will cause your body to use muscle and losing muscle isn't a good thing. You want to preserve it and add to it as much as you can.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It does maxamize fat burning BUT you don't want to do it on a completely empty stomach espicially if you want to preserve lean muscle mass. I would have a protein shake before you work out or maybe greek yogurt since it it high in protein. You will also need the carbs for energy. You want to lose fat not muscle so make sure you give your body a little something before you work out.

Where did you hear that?? Rubbish....you won't lose lean muscle mass by working out on an empty stomach...on my early morning workout days it's the way I do it, you hit the fat first, if you eat anything before working out even a glass of milk, you've now given your body food, carbs, to pull it's energy from, it will take it from there first, If you can handle working out on an empty stomach, it can be a very great way to burn fat, if you eat absolutely nothing before hand, make sure you say hydrated and eat/drink something within 45 minutes post.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I do most of my workouts on an empty stomach. I don't know if it burns more fat, as opposed to doing it later in the day. But I ran 7 miles the other morning without eating and didn't even come close to passing out.

Whatever makes you the most comfortable is what you should do. If you're excersising on an empty stomach because it "burns more fat", but you really hate doing it, you're a lot less likely to keep it up....and that's the most important thing of all.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    when I workout first thing in the morning I don't eat IF i'm lifting I have a protien shake or I would not be able to make through the workout IF I'm running I don't have anything.

if it burns more fat I have no clue, I've read that if you walk 1 hour a day you'll burn Fat Cals

good luck
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    That's the way I exercise . I workout on an empty stomach and Iam fine. I make sure Iam well Hydrated with water and then after my workouts I have my protein shake.
  • sergeant771
    Options
    Do some of both to fool the body. One or two days a week work out in the morning before you eat. Rest of the week work out after you eat at least 100-200 smart calories (some protein and good carbs like from fruit). Boost your metabolism and fuel your work-out. You have to eat to lose weight. Eat 200....burn 500 for weight loss. To maintain and/or add muscle eat a few more protein cals.

It's a numbers game.

When in doubt, do some more walking.

806322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's actually a proven method to work out after sleeping, the body has been in a fasting mode, and would by glycogen depleted, along with low insulin, forcing fat to be the primary fuel sorce so long as you don't go high intensity, keep it low to moderate. Other good reasons are is releases endorphins that make you feel great throughout the day, you'll be less likely to skip it if you get it over with, morning cardio will raise the metabolic rate of your body for the time after your work out, not just while you're working out, to burn more calories AFTER the workout is complete. There are people here saying you'll lose muscle, which can apply if you're diet is sloppy, but if your total diet is in line, then the chances of catabolism are very low. If the human body was so fragile that it lost muscle from doing some physical activity before eating, we never would have survived as a species.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Will a car run on an empty take of gas?? :) You might pass out and have no energy. I was in a class last year and a lady came to exercise on empty stomach, she fainting and broke her jaw and a few teeth. Got to eat before exercising. At least a few hours before.

well that is certainly a strong reason to not exercise on an empty stomach....ouch! PAINFUL! :noway:

I try and eat a small snack 45 minutes before I start exercising (no more than 100 cals) just to give me a little reserve of calories. I easily burn 500 during a run so, that little snack will hardly hinder my progress!

I cannot exercise on an empty stomach...I cannot reach my potential if i havn't got enough energy and therefore, for me...I think it's a waste of a workout :flowerforyou:
  • DaveSwan
    Options
    Well, if you haven't eaten for a while you'll not have much energy from food to burn so your body will burn fat instead, this doesn't mean its good for you though. It will probably make you very tired the rest of the day as your body tries to recover.
  • christopher_stockdale
    Options
    I don't know. For me, I can't exercise in the morning, I like my sleep too much. My best time is right after work. I get the exercise past me, then eat dinner. At my weight, it's not like my body won't find any fat to use, and I'm not a workout demon, if I need a minute break, I'll take it. My wife, however, work out in the morning and immediately eats. She's too tired to work out evenings. So, I guess my answer is it depends on you, not on any set plan or guideline. I wouldn't fast THEN workout, but if you haven't eaten in 3-5 hours and want to work out, as long as you monitor yourself, you should be fine.

I've heard conflicting news about how it's better to eat then workout, or it's better to workout than eat. I think it's mostly smoke and mirrors, and it's jsut good for you to do both, it doesn't really matter in which order.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Nope. It will cause your body to use muscle and losing muscle isn't a good thing. You want to preserve it and add to it as much as you can.

How the hell would you lose muscle if you are using muscles to workout?

You lose muscle if you don't use them, take a look at a leg that has just come out of a plaster cast after being broken, it will be a hell of a lot smaller than the healthy one but only for a short while until the muscle builds up again. It is fat that is stored energy in the body, not muscle.

Muscles get eaten into if there is no fat to burn off, the body will have to get energy from somewhere.

To the OP, some people can workout on an empty stomach, others can't face it and will feel ill. To find out for your own body and whether it will like it, you will have to bite the bullet and try it to see. If you feel bad, stop and then you will know it may not be the way for you to do things.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I do most of my workouts on an empty stomach. I don't know if it burns more fat, as opposed to doing it later in the day. But I ran 7 miles the other morning without eating and didn't even come close to passing out.

Whatever makes you the most comfortable is what you should do. If you're excersising on an empty stomach because it "burns more fat", but you really hate doing it, you're a lot less likely to keep it up....and that's the most important thing of all.

Our bodies have a decent storage of glycogen on board to fuel workouts, whatever the time of day. So, working out on an empty stomach is not impossible. The ability to do so doesn't really mean anything--just that the structure and intensity of your workout is such that you are able to get by on what you have on board.

The main benefit to eating something before a workout is that is provides a ready supply of circulating blood glucose, which can enhance the quality of you workout (again, depends on what you are doing). It can take several minutes for you aerobic system to kick in and start metabolizing fat for fuel (along w/carbs). If you are starting a more intense workout, like I said, the circulating glucose helps get you going until the steady-state systems kick in.

Unless you plan on going at a really high level, it probably doesn't make that big a difference one way or the other for many people--most people don't work out that hard, so they are not going to see much difference.

For the main question: does it help burn more fat? the answer is NO. It has absolutely no effect on fat loss.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

How the hell would you lose muscle if you are using muscles to workout?

You lose muscle if you don't use them, take a look at a leg that has just come out of a plaster cast after being broken, it will be a hell of a lot smaller than the healthy one but only for a short while until the muscle builds up again. It is fat that is stored energy in the body, not muscle.

Muscles get eaten into if there is no fat to burn off, the body will have to get energy from somewhere.

To the OP, some people can workout on an empty stomach, others can't face it and will feel ill. To find out for your own body and whether it will like it, you will have to bite the bullet and try it to see. If you feel bad, stop and then you will know it may not be the way for you to do things.

The term "lose muscle" is often used interchangeably when talking about using amino acids for fuel. Some have the idea that any time an amino acid is utilized for any purpose, an angel loses muscle mass, or something like that.

Certain parts of the body and certain processes must use glucose as a fuel and if none is readily available, amino acids will be broken down and used for gluconeogenesis. Just like the "fat burning" concept, it is a mistake to assume that what happens during a single exercise session happens in isolation and causes a permanent change in the body. We are constantly breaking down and building up proteins--any amino acid used during exercise is easily replaced.