Trouble eating enough

Options
Hi there!
I recently started my weight loss journey, on the first of January, though ironically not a new year's resolution.
After cutting the junk food out of my diet, I've been finding that I have trouble meeting the minimum 1200 net calories a day. I'm just not hungry, and have to force myself to eat to even get close. I can get to 1200 gross, or even a bit over, but factoring in the calories burned from exercise leaves me needing a few hundred more than I'm currently getting.
Any advice?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nuts, eggs, avocadoes, peanut butter, milk, cheese, ice cream, pop tarts, smoothie with banana and frozen fruit, etc
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    are you actually accurately determining your calories, cause 1200 isn't all that much?
  • squirtsilverman
    Options
    Yes, I am, and if I'm unsure I overestimate
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe people who end up here because they want to lose weight, can't eat 1200 calories in a day.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when people start trying to lose weight, they make the (understandable) mistake of thinking that healthy eating = eating only low calorie foods, and that high calories = junk, or that fat is bad. There are lots of very nutrient dense foods that are also high in calories, like nuts, seeds, nut butters, cheese, eggs, avocados, olive oil, full fat dairy products etc.

There is also nothing wrong with eating foods that aren't so nutrient dense, especially if you have already got a good range of nutrients in for the day. Don't be afraid to eat things that are traditionally seen as forbidden foods when dieting, such as chocolate, ice cream etc.

Oh, and I saw some "reduced fat" and "no added sugar ice cream" type items in your diary - if you struggle to get calories in, you shouldn't be going for the diet foods.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe people who end up here because they want to lose weight, can't eat 1200 calories in a day.

me wondering the same thing...
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Jester hit the nail right on the head.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I am struggling also, for some reason. Not struggling a lot, but a little bit out. I upped my calories from 1,200 to 1,400 yesterday because I thought I was being unhealthy eating so little, but today I have just made 1,212 calories and I'm stuffed! I may have some fruit later though.

I am putting my reason down to drinking lots of water.

I know I am not accidentally over eating because I am measuring everything out.
  • JesterMFP
    Options
    I am struggling also, for some reason. Not struggling a lot, but a little bit out. I upped my calories from 1,200 to 1,400 yesterday because I thought I was being unhealthy eating so little, but today I have just made 1,212 calories and I'm stuffed! I may have some fruit later though.

It's quite common to experience a reduced appetite on a low intake. Give it a few days of eating at the higher level (and again, aim for the calorie dense foods to avoid feeling stuffed) and you should find your appetite improves.
  • JJBerginUK
    Options
    This will pass. You'll find your enthusiasm for losing weight causes you to view food and eating somewhat negatively at first and you'll begin to subconsciously reward yourself for eating low amounts, but it will pass as you adjust to every day eating. A good way to boost your calories if you're not especially hungry is with fruit juices. They're typically full of carbs and micro-nutrients and a sizable amount with each meal will boost your calorie intake by up to 600-700 calories a day.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options

It's quite common to experience a reduced appetite on a low intake. Give it a few days of eating at the higher level (and again, aim for the calorie dense foods to avoid feeling stuffed) and you should find your appetite improves.

Thank you!

I noticed peanut butter mentioned above. Getting right on that! ;)
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    When I snack at work I munch on hummus with carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc., which are obviously very low calorie foods. So on the days where I struggle, I eat some peanuts or almonds (I'm allergic to most other nuts). That provides for a nice sweet crunchy treat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It is quite possible and very common to cut too much dietary fat when trying to lose weight. People tend to think that dietary fat makes you fat and is otherwise "unhealthy"...when in reality, dietary fat is as essential to proper nutrition and a balanced diet as your vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc.

I would also add that it is quite possible and very common to underestimate your intake, particularly if you're just eyeballing your servings and not weighing them out on a food scale and/or measuring them out with cups/spoons, etc.

Make sure you're being as precise as possible with your intake and don't bother with the low fat/no fat food substitutes...eat real food. Incorporate things like nuts...a mere ounce has about 160 calories (I am partial to almonds), nut butters, and avocados into your diet. Saute your veggies in some olive oil or roast them in the oven. There are numerous ways to get in your calories without eating a whole lot of extra food.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when people start trying to lose weight, they make the (understandable) mistake of thinking that healthy eating = eating only low calorie foods, and that high calories = junk, or that fat is bad. There are lots of very nutrient dense foods that are also high in calories, like nuts, seeds, nut butters, cheese, eggs, avocados, olive oil, full fat dairy products etc.

There is also nothing wrong with eating foods that aren't so nutrient dense, especially if you have already got a good range of nutrients in for the day. Don't be afraid to eat things that are traditionally seen as forbidden foods when dieting, such as chocolate, ice cream etc.

Oh, and I saw some "reduced fat" and "no added sugar ice cream" type items in your diary - if you struggle to get calories in, you shouldn't be going for the diet foods.

+1

You have to get out of the "diet" mindset. There are no "bad" foods. If you need to bump up your calories, the foods suggested above work wonders.... especially ice cream :P
  • fluffy_fuwa
    fluffy_fuwa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    nuts, eggs, avocadoes, peanut butter, milk, cheese, ice cream, pop tarts, smoothie with banana and frozen fruit, etc

I SURE hope you're just joking about the whole ice cream, and pop tarts recommendation. That's anything but healthy. I will never hear a doctor prescribe to me to eat pop tarts.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I SURE hope you're just joking about the whole ice cream, and pop tarts recommendation. That's anything but healthy. I will never hear a doctor prescribe to me to eat pop tarts.
    OP is more than 200 calories under goal for the day. That's about a poptart or bowl of ice cream's worth. What's wrong with that barring any medical issues witch those foods?
  • JesterMFP
    Options

In moderation, as part of a balanced diet, what is wrong with them?
  • squirtsilverman
    Options
    Thans everybody
    I'm not viewing food badly, I'm not trying to avoid food full of fat or sugar or anything (we simply have the reduced sugar/fat things in the house since my mom is quite paranoid about it all), I'm measuring with a kitchen scale and cups half cups, etc
    I really appreciate the suggestions of foods to eat, I'll definitely start having more of those
    Thanks again!
  • littlenature
    Options

Yeah, me too, I don't really understand this at all! It's a 'problem' I wish I had.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

Life is too short not to eat real icecream. No joke. Eat it. There are no bad foods, just foods you haven't planned for.