Should I still eat my exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• spankythewondermonkey
    Options
    it's personal preference.

if you want to lose weight, then i don't see the point of shovelling the calories you've worked off back into the body. you get to see it as a reward and it will probably slow or stall your weight loss. weight loss is simply calories in < calories out. the bigger the delta, the faster you'll lose (or gain) weight.

i usually burn about 800-1500 cals of 'proper' exercise each day (weights/cycling/swimming/running/circuits etc), with the occasional rest day thrown in. on fast days (tues,weds & thurs), i'd stick to the 600 cal limit so am massively negative on those days. it didn't affect the intensity at which i could work out as tiredness and lethargy is 90% mental where you *think* you should be low on energy. i'll qualify this by saying that when i was on the weight loss phase about 13 months ago, i'd weigh just before the gym session on the 3rd day of 600 cal fasting, see that i'd lost another 1-2kg and could nail anything i wanted in the hard workout that followed.

as usual, ymmv. :-)
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    As you say, calories in, calories out. Which is why I don't understand why you also say that eating back exercise calories will stall weight loss. This is the mfp system. Those that follow it eat their calories back to a 10-20% calorie deficit. Is that not enough?

I'm not sure if my viewpoint is valid though. You're clearly superior in every way, with your infinite capacity to deny your body nutrients and yet to exercise at extreme levels of intensity. I guess sad people like me, sat here, shovelling in the calories, falling victim to mental weakness and imagined lethargy, should just stop bothering to understand and to better our bodies. YMMV indeed.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I usually eat some or all of them back, depending on my level of hunger. It is motivation to exercise for me and also a way to refeed my body after a workout. After lifting I always have an extra smoothie with protein and carbs, so that is around 200 calories I wouldn't have had if I didn't workout. Also, if I have a day I know I am going to a restaurant or something, it motivates me to work a little harder in the gym so I can make up for the extra cals.
  • Jackpalm
    Options
    I wouldn't unless you really want to. This is when you could start to lose the pounds. When I eat my exercise points, I don't lose, just stay the same weight.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. So far, I had a 500 calorie deficit one day and 30something yesterday. I feel good so far. I say go by how you feel. I do workout pretty hard, so I'm mindful of that as well.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My answer would be no for the simple fact you'd be eating what you've burnt off. I use to and ended up putting weight on. Try to stick to what your calorie goal is. That's my suggestion...

If you let MFP set your calorie intake using the guided goal setting feature, then this is bad advice.

See here: http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1026720-how-does-myfitnesspal-work-

and here: http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

If you don't feel like you worked out hard, then make sure to log a light activity exercise and it shouldn't suggest you eat many calories back.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I did, and kept gaining. Now, I never do, and have lost 16 pounds. Yayyyy!:wink:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I did, and kept gaining. Now, I never do, and have lost 16 pounds. Yayyyy!:wink:

Then you were eating more than you thought you were, or your BMR was much lower than MFP calculated it to be, or you were burning less than you thought you were.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could NOT eat at least some of them back. I am not allotted many calories by MFP, so I think I would be starving if i didn't! I invested in a HRM and i usually deduct about 10-15% from that number (it's not 100% accurate, so best to be on the safe side). Then i usually eat back 3/4 of my exercise calories, give or take. If you're hungry, eat!
  • brendalast
    brendalast Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should otherwise it counters itself out. I have been dieting now for a year and if I ate the cals that I burnt I really feel that I wouldn't have lost as much as I have.
  • WantToBeHealthy36
    Options
    bumping for later :wink:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back and have lost a few pounds.... Best of Luck
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes, if the calories were burned, eat them

This !^

MFP is designed for you to eat the calories back. BUT, MFP "guesstimations" tend to be generous. So eating back a % of the calories back is a good idea.

Not eating calories back (on a regular basis) ....does not help protect existing muscle mass.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Then you were eating more than you thought you were, or your BMR was much lower than MFP calculated it to be, or you were burning less than you thought you were.

Yep this ................MFP is based upon estimations. You sometimes have to tweak things (or there is some user error).

Then there's the "Biggest Loser" affect. Not everyone can expect to lose 2 pounds a week. Morbidly obese can lose quickly.....but closer to goal......you should be looking at a moderate weight loss goal. There is FAT loss & weight loss. Fast weight loss is fat+muscle (unless you are obese). Moderate paced weight loss can be "just" fat loss. Exercise helps you keep existing muscle mass BUT you have to fuel your workouts.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Where do you get her coming across superior? I think you are taking something way to personal that you shouldnt...

People who eat back their calories are:
    "shovelling the calories [...] back in"
    "stalling their weight loss"

That poster boasts of her combination of a very low calorie diet (600 calories) with incredible calorie burns (1500 calories). "Tiredness and lethargy is 90% mental" she tells us.

I'd say there's a tone there. Perhaps I'm being over sensitive. But there is a tone there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    it's personal preference.

if you want to lose weight, then i don't see the point of shovelling the calories you've worked off back into the body. you get to see it as a reward and it will probably slow or stall your weight loss. weight loss is simply calories in < calories out. the bigger the delta, the faster you'll lose (or gain) weight.

i usually burn about 800-1500 cals of 'proper' exercise each day (weights/cycling/swimming/running/circuits etc), with the occasional rest day thrown in. on fast days (tues,weds & thurs), i'd stick to the 600 cal limit so am massively negative on those days. it didn't affect the intensity at which i could work out as tiredness and lethargy is 90% mental where you *think* you should be low on energy. i'll qualify this by saying that when i was on the weight loss phase about 13 months ago, i'd weigh just before the gym session on the 3rd day of 600 cal fasting, see that i'd lost another 1-2kg and could nail anything i wanted in the hard workout that followed.

as usual, ymmv. :-)

You're clueless as to how this tool works aren't you?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Should I still eat my exercise calories if I don't FEEL like I worked out?
    I did a bit of cardio this morning and then walked a few mile tonight, and I feel like the number I calories it wants me to eat back are pretty high.

Walking burns very few calories. "A bit of" cardio now and then also doesn't sound like much. It is a very common occurrence on MFP for people with relatively light exercise routines to stall (or even reverse) their weight loss by attempting to eat back over-estimated exercise calories.

Your body will tell you if you need more fuel.
  • Shayberz
    Options
    I sometimes do and don't it all depending if I'm not hungry I won't force myself but I try to use them esp if it comes to a treat why not.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine back and haven't had a problem.