Homemade Soft and Chewy Granola Bars (picture heavy)

Options
HealthyVitamins
HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
Hello,

I saw this recipe on http://www.inspiredtaste.net/21462/soft-and-chewy-granola-bars-recipe/ and decided to give it a try.

I followed the recipe but didn't use as much sugar as required as I thought it would be sweet enough and it was just right!

Also, I added a bit more oats because I felt the mixture was too wet.

So, you will need:

IMG_0971_zps6166e257.jpg

b8a65be3-bc47-4b32-a2e7-08b4e6fe8497_zpsb763f6fb.png

Calories can be lowered by removing the almonds and chocolate chips.

Directions (from the website)

Prepare Oven and Pan
Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Line bottom and sides of a 8-inch or 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil. Then lightly oil or spray with cooking spray.

Toast Oats and Nuts
Add oats and almonds to a small baking sheet then bake 5 minutes, stir and bake another 3 to 5 minutes until lightly toasted. Transfer to a large bowl.

IMG_0972_zpsf04d3934.jpg

Prepare Granola Bars
Combine butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract and the salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until butter melts and the sugar completely dissolves.

IMG_0978_zps8666555b.jpg

Pour butter mixture in to bowl with toasted oats and almonds. Mix well.
Let cool about 5 minutes then add cranberries and a 1/4 cup of the mini chocolate chips. Stir to combine. (The chocolate chips will most likely melt a little. This is fine, they turn into glue and help to hold the bars together).

IMG_0980_zps03508b12.jpg

Transfer oat mixture to lined pan then use a rubber spatula or damp finger tips to firmly press the mixture into the pan. (Press hard here, this way the bars will stay together once cooled and cut — We press for about one minute to be extra safe).
Scatter remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips over pressed granola mixture then use a rubber spatula to gently press them into the top. Cover then refrigerate at least 2 hours.

IMG_0982_zps67402138.jpg

Remove block of granola mixture from pan then peel away aluminum foil. Cut into 12 bars.

IMG_0984_zps67fe78fc.jpg

IMG_0985_zpsa393d844.jpg

Voila!

Replies