Is water making me gain?

Options
I don't know if this is a stupid question, if it is I'll apologize now. I've started making myself get up and get a glass of water every hour whilst at work. It's been a week and I have gained a couple of lb. My diet hasn't changed still on my usual set menu that i usually lose a few lb a week on. Will this extra weight go?

I know waters good for me but i lost more when i wasn't drinking 8 glasses a day?

Replies

• TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You pretty much answered yourself - what you are experiencing is water fluctuation which is why your weight changes. Water won't make you gain fat - it's just a temporary cycle. Water consists of NOTHING which can make you gain permanent weight and your body will adapt to it soon! :)

PS - Better be hydrated than not!
    PPS - What you are experiencing is fluid retention. It's normal.
  • spankythewondermonkey
    Options
    as tk has said, there are no calories in water. you are gaining water mass and that's it. water is a good thing, as long as you are not drinking *too* much and stripping electrolytes from the body. gaining a couple of pounds of water is nothing to be concerned about as you'll pee out the excess or lose it as sweat whilst exercising.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Water is not making you gain fat.

Have you changed anything else in your routine? Worked out more this week? Eaten more salt? Time of month?

It could be any of those ^ things, or it could be normally fluctuations in weight.

That said, I don't think it's necessary to drink tons and tons of water. If your urine is pale yellow you're hydrated.
  • Fit_little_vegan
    Options
    I drink 1 gallon a day and have 0 water retention it helps me lose weight easier actually. However I eat very low sodium 200-800mg a day max so of course I have 0 water weight. Try eating lower sodium.