fitbit & calories

Options
I was wondering why my fitbit dashboard shows that I've worked 2611 calories today but only 659 was imported into myfitnesspal?

Thanks

Replies

• albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    659 is the amount of "extra" calories you burned, in addition to what MFP assumes you'll burn in a day based on your BMR. So MFP has estimated that you'll burn 1952 calories a day at your set activity level. Fitbit is telling it you actually burned 2611 today because you were more active, so it adds the difference, 659, as an "adjustment" because you burned more than MFP estimated you would. Nice active day, by the way!
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    From the FitBit Website:
    ​The value that you see on your tracker when you wake up in the morning is your estimated calorie burn for the day so far. You still burn calories even if you are sedentary or sleeping. We estimate your calorie burn based on your age, gender, height, and weight.

The rate of calories burned includes your BMR, or Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the amount of calories that you burn just to stay alive by sitting, breathing, etc.

MyFitnessPal uses the following formula:

FitBit Calories Burned
    - BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)
    = The calorie adjustment that you see

I hope this helped to answer your question :)
  • katthing
    Options
    ok that makes sense :)

Thanks for that !

And yes I've had an active day, I only got my fitbit yesterday :) It will be good if I can do that every day :)
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think I may need to buy a Fitbit. Are they hard to use because I'm a bit challenged when it comes to technology?
  • fcordingley
    fcordingley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not at all, I got mine for christmas. All you have to do is download the app and input your details like you do on here.

Then it automatically imports your calorie total etc from MFP- its so easy!
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my Fitbit One! Well I could but I'd regain my wt so won't!
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I got mine for christmas too... then went away and couldn't sync it because I didn't have internet access.... stupid climbed a mountain during the holidays and doesn't know how much she burned doing so... would have loved to have seen the reading for that one!
  • Friar_D
    Friar_D Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is very easy to set up. I can't imagine making MFP work without for me without the fitbit.