Hi there.....I'm new!

Hi there!

This is my 4th day here and I'm enjoying it so far. Trying to lose 28Ibs and get closer to my proper weight at a Ib a week after middle age crept up on me!

Just thought I would check in.....any tips would be welcome. :smile:

Carol x

Replies

• bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Welcome to MFP. Tips....make sure you are truthful and accurate with your food logging, add some exercise even if you can't get to a gym, friends here help for support and accountability (feel free to add me), most of all don't get frustrated and give up if you don't lose that pound one week or go up. It took time to gain the weight and it will take time to lose it. Best of luck!
  • meganeileenmc
    meganeileenmc Posts: 37 Member
    Hey I am 4 days new too. Met some great and helpful people so far. I have to get in the habit of logging all my meals. My goal is about the same 30lbs. I have done it before and think I can do it again. Best of luck to you!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Good luck on your goals...ditto to everything that bf43005 said..the honesty is the biggest part of this...and allow yourself to have set backs with out beating yourself up to bad...they are going to happen so you may as well deal with it...as long as you can turn them back into forward motion...
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    welcome! best tip i can give is… water! always and forever!

great luck to you!
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Welcome aboard! Honesty when logging is vital. allow yourself a reward, don't deny yourself of your favorite food(s)..just use common sense and MODERATION!!! Drink lots of water, exercise when you can and reach out to your MFP mates when you need help.

You can do this!

Best of luck!
  • dragonf1ysun
    dragonf1ysun Posts: 3 Member
    Hi everyone and thanks for such a lovely welcome! :smile: And the tips......:happy:

I start my day with a mug of hot water and about a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon. I heard it is supposed to help with kick starting metabolism. Anyone else have any tips like that or do you know if it works?

My goal for now is to shed 28Ibs, although I am just over 2 stone over my ideal weight. I'll see how I get on and if I feel it's OK I'll try and get rid of the last 7Ibs and then I am going for maintenance......

I love food and my problem is I probably eat bigger portions than I should, so I want to educate myself to eat sensibly and be aware of portion sizes and easily recognise what they look like physically.

I don't want to go on a fad diet, I just want to eat what I want within the restrictions required for weight loss. I eat fairly sensibly anyway in terms of food groups. But even too much of a good thing can be bad sometimes... :wink:
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Welcome to the site. You will get some great tips here. Feel free to add me.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Welcome
    I only want to loose 16 pounds
    But
    2 years ago I lost 157, it slowly went up on me
    I want to get it back off by Aug.
  • dragonf1ysun
    dragonf1ysun Posts: 3 Member
    WOW....it's so easily done pwittek10.......best of luck! If you have already managed to get rid of 157Ibs then it should be a breeze :smile:
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Hello dragonf1ysun,

This is also my first week on and really digging it! BF43005 is spot on with his statements, be truthful with yourself and log everything. I have been hitting the gym for a while and knew my dieting was countering a lot of what I was doing in the gym; but until I started logging my food intake I didn’t realize just how bad I was sabotaging myself. Just since joining on Monday I have lost 4 pounds watching my intake. And your water intake is paramount.
    I haven’t started my own post yet but from what I have seen everybody on this site is extremely helpful and want to see you succeed.
    The best advice that I haven’t seen is get a good support group, people from this site is great and that will help but you need people in your personal life that will be positive influences and support you all the time. They can be most anyone, if they care for you they can be in your support group (SG). My SG comes from family, old friends, co-workers and you can never have enough people in your SG and they don’t necessarily need to know each other either.

Best wishes.
    V/r,
    DW.