Foot Blisters?

Options
2»

Replies

• MissJazzie14
    MissJazzie14 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There are two things you need to do: Go to a running store (not a chain, but a local place) and get fitted for the correct walking/running shoes. Tell them about the blisters and they will be very helpful.

Second, get different socks. I have terrible issues with blisters unless I wear double-layer WrightSox. If you can't find them locally, you can get them online. They're s bit pricey (about $7 a pair is the cheapest I've found) but they last for years and are SO worth it.

I went to this store called BIG 5. Its a sporting good store. They shoes I am currently walking in now I had for about close to 2 years. They are my favorite shoes because they are light and flexible and comfy for the foot. They don't give me problems at all. I am able to walk in these shoes, do zumba, or wear them while I go and run errands. I honestly think its the socks because I wear thin socks and my mom said I am not giving my foot extra cushion so I will try a thick layer of socks =) thanks for the tip
  • MissJazzie14
    MissJazzie14 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips and the advice on this blisters. It has a burning sensation (really uncomfortable). I did soak it in some hot water and epsom salt. I wrapped it up now before reading these responses so if its not feeling a little better later on today, I will pop it and soak it again plus keep it clean. I did look up some athletic socks online and order them so thanks for all those who gave me that tip.

My friend was telling me to try Nike's dual fusion shoes. Has anyone tried those shoes and are they great shoes?
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    If you pop the blister, you open it up to infection and bacteria. The don't tend to heal faster either way. Healing time depends more on the location and any ongoing trauma.

You can prevent blisters easily by using Bodyglide on your feet before you put on socks/shoes. You can also use vasoline, but it doesn't last as long and might stain your socks.

Get some moleskin - the adhesive kind - at the drugstore. Cut a square and then cut a whole in the middle to leave the blister area open. Make sure the moleskin is high enough to prevent contact witht he blister. Use multiple layers or the padded moleskin.

If you get blisters in the same places constantly, check you gait and shoes - it's often a sign of poor fit.

This
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    If you go to a running store (or several) they will analyze your gait (running or walking) for free and make recommendations. There's no obligation to buy. You can get several opinions, try some shoes, and order them online for less if you find something you like.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    May I ask why such a big jump in your times of doing it? Wonderful that you are pushing your self but maybe next time only increase by 15-30 mins so your body gets used to the extra strain on it then increase again when you feel like itll be good enough to

I have increase slowly. The last week of December I increase my walking by 10 minutes but then when my friends starting coming along I just remember being on the treadmill walking and trying to talk why out of breath lol and we just kept walking and before I knew it I did a whole hour and didn't notice it. I do know when to push myself and when to give myself a break. So far I am comfortable walking for 90 minutes while listening to my music and singing. At the gym they make it kind of easy because you can watch t.v while on the treadmill and next thing you know time flown by and I walked even further.
    I get blisters regardless of the thickness of my socks. You can try thicker, but if it doesn't fix the problem, seriously look at the double-layer ones. They rub against themselves instead of your foot. And they'e the right material (not cotton) so your feet stay dry.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There are two things you need to do: Go to a running store (not a chain, but a local place) and get fitted for the correct walking/running shoes. Tell them about the blisters and they will be very helpful.

Second, get different socks. I have terrible issues with blisters unless I wear double-layer WrightSox. If you can't find them locally, you can get them online. They're s bit pricey (about $7 a pair is the cheapest I've found) but they last for years and are SO worth it.

I went to this store called BIG 5. Its a sporting good store. They shoes I am currently walking in now I had for about close to 2 years. They are my favorite shoes because they are light and flexible and comfy for the foot. They don't give me problems at all. I am able to walk in these shoes, do zumba, or wear them while I go and run errands. I honestly think its the socks because I wear thin socks and my mom said I am not giving my foot extra cushion so I will try a thick layer of socks =) thanks for the tip
    Two-year-old shoes that you've worn that much probably need replacing, too.
  • heidicalif
    heidicalif Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also had athletic shoes that were comfortable that I wore all the time, 3 separate pairs by different manufacturers depending on weather/outfit -- worn everyday for errands, Jazzercise, neighborhood walks, hiking, and chasing 3 kids.

Then I got a treadmill.

The first few weeks were fine, and then problems started. First blisters, then muscle pain in various parts of my legs that quickly escalated to where I knew I was about to do some serious damage and needed to stop. (I was close to where you are, somewhere between 60-90 minutes/day a few days/week. Already in pain, I tried on dozens of pairs at chains including Big 5 and could tell in a step that they were going to have the same poblem. Desperate, I went to a small, locally owned running store. I felt silly because I don't run, but they were able to analyze my pronation and point me towards the right shoes on the very first try. I am a cheap woman but it was worth every penny. All problems solved immediately.

At the time I think my husband kind of thought I was being a drama queen, but many months later when he started using the treadmill too the exact same thing happened to him in his beloved Nikes. Back to the running shop and his problems solved immediately, too.

I also got religious about stretching, and make sure that I move the incline around. Someone will correct me if Im wrong, but I believe the pulling action of the belt at 0% is actually more like a slight negative incline off a treadmill.

Good luck!