What's the best thing you ever ate?

Options
lisalynn35
lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
In 1986 my family went on a cruise to Alaska and though the fresh fish on the cruise was amazing it was something I had before the ship left port that I will never forget. We went to the World's Fair in Vancouver we ate at a restaurant in the French section of the fair where I had a baked Brie sandwich on fresh sourdough bread with the redest beefsteak tomatoes I'd ever seen. It was warm, gooey, creamy deliciousness that was so good even at 16 I couldn't help but eat it slow and savor evey bite. I did not share.

Replies

• laineylou26
    laineylou26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As boring as it may be...chocolate marshmallow ice cream. It had to be the generic brand our local store sold...which they don't carry anymore. No other brand has come close...which is a good thing because I LOVED it!! Like I said...boring! But I'm a down-home meat and taters never been anywhere kind of gal. Maybe someday I'll have something that'll knock my socks off!
  • pandanichols
    pandanichols Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The best thing I ever ate was in Misawa Aomori, Japan. I ate raw horse sashimi with garlic wasabi soy sauce. I'm sure this particular dish is frowned upon everywhere else in the world but I have NEVER eaten anything so good in my life or will probably ever eat again. ><
  • less_carbs_4_life
    less_carbs_4_life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The chocolate, almond and pear tart i made today!...it was AMAZING!!:love: But a calorie BOMB!!!:explode:
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You know, I have lived a life that has been full of amazing food. I once lived near a cafe that had an Italian Vegetable Soup that was like heaven in a bowl and I ate it...probably 5 times a week. No lie. I have been fantasizing about it ever since moving away, when I went back to visit...heaven again! I don't even really like soup to be honest with you, but this was just...wow!

But! The most truly amazing thing I have ever put in my mouth is Peiking Duck in Beijing at Quanjude (one of the elite peiking duck restaurants, they give you a card that has the number of the duck you ate, as they have a record of the total number of ducks served in the restaurant). And you know, the means of cooking the duck this way was kept as an Imperial secret for centuries before an ex chef to the royal family sold it. Who says traitors can't do good things for society?
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Also to be filed under the "this might be boring" category.... I absolutely LOVE the tortilla soup from Pappasito's... Chicken, avocado, carrots, zucchini, squash, tortilla strips and cheese.... YUM! (I am a tortilla soup addict ;-)

As far as dessert, Sea World in San Antonio has a funnel cake sundae..... funnel cake, powdered sugar, vanilla soft serve and strawberries.....HEAVENLY!!!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Where I'm from there is a locally owned chinese buffet. Usually chinese buffets aren't the best, but this one is just awesome. Every time we went in there there was something different, but my favorite was the coconut shrimp. Never found it anywhere else.
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There's this bakery in Portland, OR calles Rose's. There was this 7-layer pink butter cream frosted poppy seed cake (for 9 bucks a slice!) I had one day....I dreamed about having it again for like...years. My best friend took me back there a couple month ago...and they had almost the same cake, but from a different baker. It just wasn't the same! I was crushed, lol. I will never forget that damn cake.
  • htowntek
    Options
    I went to Boston once and after me and my buddy had spent all day pulling cable in a hot warehouse we got back to the hotel.. Too tired to go out and eat we ordered a pizza from a local place.. basically a meatlovers pizza.. OH MY GAWD.. I swear when the delivery lady handed it to me I thought my arms would collapse.. It had meatballs on it.. Like seriously huge insane 3 inch diameter meatballs cut in halves.. .giant chunks of link sausuage.. I am a huge pizza fan and I could only ealy 2 slices when usually I could have eaten a large pizza..

maybe we were just starving and maybe because in Houston where I am there is not good NorthEast Pizza but damn it was good.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I lived in Kansas someone brought a cake in to work. It was called Better Than Sex Cake. I would say that's the best thing I ever ate. The second best would be cheesecake.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    What a fun topic!

Best thing I ever ate... Spaghetti Carbonara, in Italy. I've gotten it tons of different restaurants when I go there because it is absolutely my favorite dish. And for whatever reason, it always comes out as expected, regardless of where in Italy I am or in what restaurant (which never happens- things never meet expectations! lol)... oh man, I miss it.
  • ardaniels0417
    Options
    For me nothing can top the black truffle, shrimp and scallop risotto from this restaurant in vegas we went to about 7 years ago. Cant remember the name of the place, but the risotto was intoxicting. The smell alone was almost enough to taste, it was creamy and delicious. Hope to get back there again to have it!!!
  • mellencamper
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory Chocolate cake with Ganache frosting and fresh whipped cream. I'm drooling now just thinking of it.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    For me nothing can top the black truffle, shrimp and scallop risotto from this restaurant in vegas we went to about 7 years ago. Cant remember the name of the place, but the risotto was intoxicting. The smell alone was almost enough to taste, it was creamy and delicious. Hope to get back there again to have it!!!

Ooooo, I had a saffron risotto in Hawaii that was exactly like your description (except that it wasn't the same ingredients!). That is probably second on my list. Or the lazy man's lobster I had when I was in high school at this really fancy restaurant that my friend's grandmother took us too... the lobster was all prepared for you in a dish with stuffing covered in ritz crackers with butter poured over it and baked until crispy... oh man that was good.

Now I'm thinking of a million more! Must... stop.... LOL ;)
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My mom's home made chocolate eclairs!
    She'd make them every year for my birthday instead of a cake.
    :love:
    Light, fluffy, filled with homemade custard and drizzled with
    chocolate.