There is no end point

Options
People have a tendency to think that there is a destination or an end point to weight loss and fitness. If you think of it as an ongoing journey, it is possible to find success. There is this impression that when you set a goal of weight loss, you reach that goal and take a picture of your success, and you are done. Once the weight loss goal is reached, maintenance begins. Maintenance can often be more challenging than the weight loss, because you have to change your mind set from one of eating less calories to eating the right balance of calories. This is why so many of us talk about weight loss and maintenance as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. It's not a short term plan, it's a lifetime of work and dligence.

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    You said it ! :)
  • clarebear230786
    clarebear230786 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Brilliant Post!! :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Very true. I often get comments, mostly from my family, like "Why do you worry about what you eat, you're not over weight." Umm...there you go. However, maintenance can be absolutely tricky. There is a fine line between discipline and obsession and it can be tricky to find it. I think this is the hardest thing for those in maintenance. That is why so many people say that setting the tone early for something that is sustainable is so important. You want to be able to enjoy yourself in all food related situations without ever feeling deprived.
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    that is just what I was thinking. I am almost at my goal and I feel lost.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

So reset your goal to yourself. Your new goal is maintenance. That's where you find your success, in knowing you made it to your goal weight and are able to maintain it long-term. That way, every day, week, month and year becomes a successful mark along the way in your journey.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Good point. I like this. I've been maintaining for two years now and it has it's own set of challenges for sure!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You are correct. I've been in "maintenance" for almost 10 years, I still focus on nutrition and fitness all of the time!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

You just need to set new goals for yourself. Once I hit my goal weight I started focusing on fitness-- deadlifting and squatting my body weight, running 1 mile, then 2, etc. Maybe you want to take up hiking or learn to snorkel-- possibilities are endless.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    +1
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I struggle with maintenance....I can do gaining weight and losing weight real easy.....but maintaining, nope.
    Any amazing life changing tips...or just tips? :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Since losing my weight, and keeping it off, I've never done "nothing". My goals continually change and I'm always doing "something" that requires focus on training and nutrition. After losing the weight I decided to compete in bodybuilding so since then I've either been growing, or prepping for comps!
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I often get comments, mostly from my family, like "Why do you worry about what you eat, you're not over weight."

I'll add to that - I get comments saying things like "ooh - you're not getting obsessive are you?" as though I am on the brink of an eating disorder. It makes me SO mad. I am at the upper range of a healthy weight for my height and I ADORE food, cooking etc, so the very idea that I would stumble into an eating disorder just because I am trying to PAY ATTENTION to what I eat is incredibly irritating (not to mention demoralising - especially when maintenance can be hard). Of course, what makes it more irritating is that if I get mad at the person who said it, that makes them suspicious that I am "hiding something".

*sigh*.

Sorry to rant, but I thought some people on this post would understand my frustration!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I agree. Learning how to maintain weight is a new adventure for me over the last 25 months. Losing was a definite exercise in discipline and well worth it. I carried over the habit of logging every bite I ate, even if I have to estimate.

I think that I have had to unlearn a lot of bad habits -- food is no longer my first thought for celebrations, or rewards.

Maintaining my weight and getting healthier has spilled into other areas of my life. I find that moderation and simplifying my life is very calming. I need a whole new wardrobe - I even lost 1/2 a shoe size when I lost the weight 18 months ago. I strive to maintain less so I have less to bother with.

It's a good thing.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My dad lost about 20kg 15 years ago and have maintained it with little exercise/ and with a busy work lifestyle.

He goes out and drinks alcohol/ and eats out often due to work.

However, he just counters it by skipping dinner once in a while etc to maintain weight.

Measures every couple of weeks and if he's over by 2-3kg, then at that moment he diets to lose that 2-3kg.

That's the only way to maintain weight with an irregular life style.

Once you go over by 5kg, 6kg, 10kg, then it becomes harder and harder to lose weight. That's what happened to me.

2-3kg? Can lose that in 2 weeks.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    So no need to worry about maintaining.

Eat what you want within moderation and measure every week or two. If you 'gained' weight, don't think to yourself ' oh, it's just water weight, it'll go down'.

Immediately start your 'diet' the next day onwards.

It's a cycle. My mom's been skinny for life without measuring food but she keeps active all day with chores and when she eats(she eats wtv) she controls her portions well.

Never counted calories once in her life.

So yea, maintaining is not hard if you have a scale and you diet as soon as you gain weight.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    So no need to worry about maintaining.

Eat what you want within moderation and measure every week or two. If you 'gained' weight, don't think to yourself ' oh, it's just water weight, it'll go down'.

Immediately start your 'diet' the next day onwards.

It's a cycle. My mom's been skinny for life without measuring food but she keeps active all day with chores and when she eats(she eats wtv) she controls her portions well.

Never counted calories once in her life.

So yea, maintaining is not hard if you have a scale and you diet as soon as you gain weight.

This is exactly what I was planning when I reach the point where I am happy to move to "maintenance" Yes initially I will continue to weigh and log everything, then slowly move to measuring my own weight once every week. The big change this time will also be that I will no longer ignore what I see in the mirror, did that for too long before.

Everyone who uses this site has a different goal, often they fall into similar groups but sometimes they don't

Many are here to "diet" and if that means they get themselves to a better place then that is no bad thing

Edited because my grammar sucks today
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is a journey not a destination
  • Rebecca1552
    Options
    I absolutely agree... I always think of this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet :smile:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

You just need to set new goals for yourself. Once I hit my goal weight I started focusing on fitness-- deadlifting and squatting my body weight, running 1 mile, then 2, etc. Maybe you want to take up hiking or learn to snorkel-- possibilities are endless.

I was going to say something along these lines. When I joined MFP two years ago, my goal was "lose weight". I've had that goal in the past and never managed to keep the weight off once I lost it, because the goal was met and then...well, like you I felt there was nothing to focus on anymore. This time around, in addition to dropping fat, I've starting setting physical and fitness challenges for myself - lift a heavier weight, run a faster 5 km, add more muscle mass (bulk)...these new challenges are ongoing and give me new things to strive for. It keeps the long-term outlook more fun and motivating!
  • miclmiller
    miclmiller Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hear that! I was at a steady weight then gained about 5 lbs, so that means I'm going to get back on here more. I know how a little slip can lead to a big fall off the wagon!