How do you cook your veggies??

Options
2»

Replies

• amyliz00226
    amyliz00226 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sautéed onions, zucchini, and steamed broccoli! Any tips on healthier and flavorful ways to cook these? Thank you:smile:

If you love them sauteed why are you looking for a different method? Is it just to try something different? Because there is nothing wrong with sauteed vegetables.

Also, don't fall for the previous poster's comments about brussels sprouts. I fell for it several months ago. It doesn't matter what you do with them. They still taste like little green buttholes.

Just looking to try something new and step AWAY from the butter. Especially with the broccoli.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe steaming takes the nutrients and flavor out of vegetables almost as much as boiling does. The previous posts are right: roast, roast, roast. We do carrots, squash, brussel sprouts, zucchini (slice thin), beets, . . . etc. . . . even kale. Roasting really enhances the flavor relative to steaming.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe steaming takes the nutrients and flavor out of vegetables almost as much as boiling does. The previous posts are right: roast, roast, roast. We do carrots, squash, brussel sprouts, zucchini (slice thin), beets, . . . etc. . . . even kale. Roasting really enhances the flavor relative to steaming.

It depends on the vegetable as to which method works best. http://www.livestrong.com/article/556477-boiled-vegetables-vs-steamed/
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sautéed onions, zucchini, and steamed broccoli! Any tips on healthier and flavorful ways to cook these? Thank you:smile:

If you love them sauteed why are you looking for a different method? Is it just to try something different? Because there is nothing wrong with sauteed vegetables.

Also, don't fall for the previous poster's comments about brussels sprouts. I fell for it several months ago. It doesn't matter what you do with them. They still taste like little green buttholes.

Just looking to try something new and step AWAY from the butter. Especially with the broccoli.

Excellent! Nothing wrong with trying new things in the kitchen. I'm a fan of new and different and branching out. All the ideas you've gotten are great.

But please, don't be afraid of butter. Make sure it fits into your calorie goals but there's nothing wrong with it.

I sautee a lot of my veggies and use either olive oil, butter or grapeseed oil. I really like the flavor of combining butter and olive oil.
  • sjohnny
    Options

It depends on the vegetable as to which method works best. http://www.livestrong.com/article/556477-boiled-vegetables-vs-steamed/

It also depends on how long you're steaming them. If you leave them in the steamer until they're mush then even if they retained all their nutrients they would still taste nasty. I like my veggies to still have some crispidiness to them so I don't cook them that long.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I like my veggies to still have some crispidiness to them so I don't cook them that long.

+ 1. i like raw or LIGHTLY steamed best, and nearly naked: maybe a splash of oil, a dash of vinegar, a pinch of seasoning. i don't mind some oil, butter or tasty sauces (hello, chinese food!!) but nothing too heavy for me please. i like the way stuff tastes by itself, mostly. those little green buttholes need salt, though. :wink:
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Steamed ( al dente) or sauteed in Olive oil! Depends on the vegetable!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    steamed or roasted
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I like my veggies to still have some crispidiness to them so I don't cook them that long.

+ 1. i like raw or LIGHTLY steamed best, and nearly naked: maybe a splash of oil, a dash of vinegar, a pinch of seasoning. i don't mind some oil, butter or tasty sauces (hello, chinese food!!) but nothing too heavy for me please. i like the way stuff tastes by itself, mostly. those little green buttholes need to be thrown in the trash, though. :wink:

FIFY
  • mank32
    Options
    those little green buttholes need to be thrown in the trash

:angry:
  • sjohnny
    Options

You hit the wrong smiley. I'm sure you meant :drinker:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I like to steam or stir-fry them to tender-crisp. I hate mushy vegetables.
  • mank32
    Options

:angry: NO.

i meant sliced in half, on a baking sheet, drizzled with oil, and sprinkled with salt and baked. :huh:
  • sjohnny
    Options

:angry: NO.

i meant sliced in half, on a baking sheet, drizzled with oil, and sprinkled with salt and baked. :huh:

You're obviously a shill for Big Brussells Sprout and are not to be trusted.