Protein question

Options
Good day all. I have a question about protein consumption and making my macros. My settings are 1500 calories a day with a 30/45/25 protein/carbs/fats. Yesterday was the closest I've come to making my protein goal, but my day involved a huge wad of lunchmeat wrapped in lettuce during our beginning of year goal setting meeting at work yesterday. I'm really not a huge fan of meat and only recently started adding more than usual to my diet because I can't seem to get enough plant foods in me to make my macros. I mean, who would rather eat 5 cups of pinto beans for over 500 calories instead of a three ounces of chicken for 120.

I'd really appreciate input from those who've been doing this longer than I have. I don't want to mess this up this time around. My diary is open, so feel free to critique it. I'm open to change.

Thanks!

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you want to increase your protein consumption I'd recommend buying a protein powder and making a protein shake once a day. I take HIT Core Evolution after my work outs and you can add it to milk or water (I use milk for the taste) but one scoop of powder is only 108 calories and it contains 24g of protein, well worth it in my mind. Trying something like that shouldn't be too bad. Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • Jaymeow11
    Options
    yeah i try to saty away from meats myself too. Get a soy protein podwer i love mine super yummy! and lots of protein and it make a huge difference!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't eat meat (just fish)
    For protein I go for:
    Eggs
    Beans
    Peanut Butter
    Pea Protein Shakes made with Hemp or Flax Milk
    Canned Tuna
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    No / low fat dairy and eggs / egg whites. These are about your only options what has high protein and low calories, apart from meat. That or protein powders.

Personally I ate 900 - 1500 cals worth of beans sometimes. Also a lot of nuts and other high calorie vegan foods. But my total calorie goal is more that half as high as yours. So if you don't wanna ate 500 cals worth of beans then dairy, eggs or protein powders are really your only option, there are no vegan foods high in protein and low in calories.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I enjoy meat, so it's pretty easy for me to hit 140g of protein a day. But lots of stuff has protein; here's a good list including vegetarian and vegan options:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    If you have the money, I would look on line (Bodybuilding.com etc) for an isolated protein powder. Isolated means that it's been filtered more. All that's important though is it will have less carbs and fats with it making it easier to meet your goals. Just down some of these and you'll meet your goals. The last Iso powder I used was 30G of protein for about 145 calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just got to your local store, pick up some whey or casien protein powders. They are the more effective powders I have seen research on.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    if you eat fish, I find it's a great way to get protein. You get more protein per calorie than you do with chicken.

I also second the protein shake. I take a chocolate protein powder which I mix with almond milk, instant espresso powder and some flax meal.

Since I started adding more fish and the protein shake for some days, I have no trouble hitting my protein target, which is 140g.

edited to add: I use Precision Whey Isolate, double chocolate chunk flavour.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    How about dairy? I can't live without my low fat cottage cheese!

And I second the fish comment by @elsyoommen..and third the protein shake? Ha.