Slow workout buddy!

Options
I know this might sound mean but the friend I've been working out with lately has really been slowing me down. She half-heartedly lifts weights (doesn't do the full reps I do and skips some machines) and only commits to about 20 minutes of cardio. I realize not everyone LOVES the gym but I happen to! I usually spend about 1.5-2 hours at the gym on my lifting days. Today, it was barely in hour WITH stretching and her changing.

I think it's great I can get her into exercising and it helps me on the days I don't want to go. It's definitely slowing down my routine and making each workout less effective for me. Should I say something to her?

Replies

• Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pushing her harder in your workouts at all? Maybe she needs a boost or kick in the butt to get going.
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Why don't you meet her at the gym instead of going together? That way, you can stay when she is done and ready to go. You never know, maybe she will see your determination and motivation and decide to stay longer.
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It might be mean, but when I'm training, and in the group I train with, if someone refuses to push themselves to the limit and at least put forth the effort, they're asked to change their ways, or find different times to train. My mentality, as I've noticed, isn't accepted as normal around here(and many people don't seem to enjoy my line of thoughts) since I train high intensity heavy weights for strongman and powerlifting, but I think in ANY aspect of training, you have to have someone to push you to your limits to reach new heights and goals. If it effects you, then it ISN'T good in any way. It may be good that she's in the gym, but is it really worth it not reaching your goals quicker as if you were alone or with someone else that pushes you?
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!

I think I'll just meet her there, tell her I'm going to stay longer and she's welcome to join.

I might only work out with her once a week at the gym and once a week at zumba. I don't want to discourage her but I definitely need to vamp up my workouts!
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    You can't make her do anything more than what she wants but when she sees your results she may want to push harder too. I think it's a good idea to go separately.