30 Day Shred and rest days

Options
So I'm a little confused on how I should do this. I started everything out deciding I would have two rest days - Monday and Friday. However, I did Day 1 of the 30DS yesterday and really liked it, so I want to try to do the whole thing. I know the whole premise is that you do it every. single. day. until the 30 days are over, but won't that just overwork your muscles? I'm so used to reading that you NEED a rest day between weight training for your muscles to rebuild, so the 30 days without a break seems a little counter intuitive. What is the best way to go about it?

Extra info: I'm on the higher edge of healthy weight for my height, but had to do modifications and take a few breaks due to how intense it was. I know long-term weight loss is a slow process, but due to a vacation in March, I want to get the maximum results possible in the next couple of months.

So rest days or no rest days for 30DS for best results?

Thanks everyone! I've found that being on here and even just lurking on the forums has given me so much inspiration and motivation, so thank you :)

Replies

• Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help. I've been wondering the same thing. Hopefully we will both learn:)
  • MsTonBon
    MsTonBon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can't remember where I read it, but the 30 Shred has rest days. I do remember that a beginner would do the first 10 days at Level 1; 10 days of Level 2; and the last 10 days of Level 3. I will try to remember/find where I read you could incorporate "rest days". Even if I can't find it...I personally will incorporate my own rest days every week. Like you alluded to you don't want to "hurt" yourself. Even the hard core body builders have rest days....even if on your 30 Day Shred rest days you do thorough stretching or even a yoga/pilates DVD get rest from 30 Day Shred. Just my 2 cents! (-;
  • Sandia_Sweetie
    Sandia_Sweetie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump, been wondering the same myself.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I did it, and I added rest days when I felt my body needed them, around every 5 days I took a rest day.
  • arl5017
    arl5017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on the second phase of 30DS; day 7 or 8, I believe. I do not do the video every day. I go every other day or maybe two days of exercise and then one rest day, just depending on how I'm feeling.

With that said, I am noticing results on the scale and in the mirror. I know the program is working even though I'm not doing it every day as it was designed.
  • MsTonBon
    MsTonBon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was reading a 30 Day Shred forum on Amazon (nothing official), but rest days vary from person to person. Some people do it everyday, but only use the hand weights every other day. Some people do it 5 days a week, taking Wed & Sun off. Some do it 6 days straight with one rest day. Again, I think it is up to you. I plan to do it 5 days per week, and add something else on my "rest days"...maybe just walking. Listen to your body.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just started 30DS three days ago, but didn't do it this morning because I felt "off." I was thinking of doing it later tonight if I can, but wondering if my body does need a rest. I haven't taken a day off from exercising in general for about 3 weeks. I don't know. I'll see how I feel after work. But maybe today is a "listen to your body/rest day."
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred a while back, with a group here and we just went straight for the whole 30 days. It was fine for me, and you really do get better as the days progress. At the time I didn't even think to incorporate rest days, though sometimes I wanted to, lol. You really can do it however you feel comfortable. You know your body.

Just FYI: The group incorporated people of different fitness levels. No one had an "official" rest day, but people did "skip" or "miss" days here and there, but still did the workout for 30 days.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • Brookemadsmommy
    Options
    i'm not do 30ds but i'm doing a month workout thing from this site DailyBurn...and so far i've seen no rest days from it. i'm on day 7. i feel like it all depends on how you feel YOUR doing..like if you feel like your hurting too much then obviously take a rest day. :) my videos always Say YOU know Your own body better then anyone. if you feel its going overboard then take a break! Hopefully you get all the answers you need!!! GL! you've Got it! :)
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is possible to do the 30DS workout on consecutive days but my body certainly told me otherwise when I tried! I think there aren't any hard and fast rules really, just listen to your body. If you feel you can go again then do it, if you ache too much then take a few days off.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels said on her webcast that the name of the DVD, 30 Shred was coined by her marketing team. She ideally recommends 2 days shred/ 1 day cardio/ 2 days shred/ 1 day rest/ repeat. In my opinion, she should really have this advice on the DVD. However you will notice that she never says on the DVD do each level for 10 days. She says move on to the next level when you feel you are ready. I personally take rest days. Because the 1st time I did the shred I hurt myself after about day 12 and had to stop. So it's easier to do if I take a day break here and there.
  • jenbob555
    jenbob555 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I think I'm gonna keep Friday as a rest day from all working out and then on Mondays decide on cardio vs 30ds based on how I feel. That way I'm getting at least 5 days in each week of it but listening to my body as well.