silly question...

Options
i was wondering if you eat under your calorie goal, but do not work out, will you still loose weight?

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question.
    Yes, but you'd have to be consistent to do so.
    I like my chocolate, so I'd rather take a walk for it. :D
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Yup. It's all about calories in vs out. Working out is not required, but recommended for health reasons and to avoid the dreaded 'skinny fat'. You may lose weight and be thin, but you'd look much better with some muscle.
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight, but it may not result in the final body that you want. Weight loss is pure mathematical, calories in vs calories out. So theoretically, you can eat McDonald's all day and not exercise and as long as you are consuming less than your body is burning, you will lose weight. However, think of the body composition that you want, not just in terms of pounds. Exercise will promote healthy fat loss as well as muscle gain, which will not only help you lose weight on the scale, but achieve a toned body. It can be done both with and without exercise, it is just all relative to what you are looking to gain out of this.
  • AdrianLBM3
    AdrianLBM3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight but it's better if you lose weight with doing exercise because at the end of cut you will look better.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    i was wondering if you eat under your calorie goal, but do not work out, will you still loose weight?
    That is the silliest question I've ever heard. :bigsmile:

Just kidding. :smile: It's a perfectly legit question.

All the is required to lose weight is a calorie deficit. MFP is designed that you eat up to your calorie goal because the deficit is already built in.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight but it's better if you lose weight with doing exercise because at the end of cut you will look better.
    This I would agree with because I am an exercise nut. Plus, exercise makes me feel so good and helps eliminate cold weather soreness of my bones.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    yup
    I use to hate working out but now I get made when something prevents me from doing it
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • tdh115
    tdh115 Posts: 52
    Options
    Start with something small. I am not doing a "workout" person, because I cannot breath if I do a real workout.

So I started taking the steps at work several times a day. When I first started it was everything I could do to take 1 flight and I could not breath for like a 1/2 hour. Now I am doing 3 flights several times a day. Still a little winded and my legs feel like jelly while I am doing it, but I feel much better afterwards.

My point is I can see myself progressing and building endurance. So I started also using the Elliptical at home, it still kicks my butt and I only do 2 minutes but I know that I will build endurance and be able to do it for longer and longer as time goes buy.

This weekend I even got on the bike and the glider. Again did not last long, but it was better than being on the couch.

I know it is intimidating some of the workout you see people do on here. Some seem to be real rock stars, but my MFP friends even the rock stars say they all started with just a few steps.

So while the answer to your question is yes you can. You will actually feel better if you can do some kind of exercise. For now don't think of it as a workout. I just tell myself I am going to move more each day than I did the day before.

Good Luck.