Need advice on training for Warrior Dash

Options
On May 17th the Warrior Dash will be here...this has been my goal for about 2 years and I feel as though I am in a place where I can begin to train for it. I don't have a problem with the 3.2 miles part but it is more the obstacles+running together. Does anyone have any suggestions on training for it? Has anyone else done it?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions. Build a foundation of general strength by following a good strength training program (NROLFW, for example).
    Also head over to a local playground and try to simulate the obstacles listed on their site:
    http://warriordash.com/obstacles/
    Good luck!
  • callmeampersand
    callmeampersand Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Playground idea is brilliant! Thank you!
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I completed a Warrior dash last summer. Make sure you can pull your body up over something (to get over the walls) and just make sure you have some upper body strength. I wasn't the best at running when I completed mine but did fine because we did have to wait at some of the obstacles. it was a lot of fun so enjoy!
  • lindseydavis07
    lindseydavis07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I’m doing it in about 3 weeks… EEK!!!! This will be my first one so I’m kinda of figuring it out as I go :) I've been doing strength training and the C25K program. My only saving grace is that it isn't 100% running and that I'm kinda strong (for a big girl lol). If I don't feel I can do an obstacle I’ll just skip it and cheer my team on :) I looks like a blast and can't wait!!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The running won't be an issue at all for most people (you run a few hundred yards, stop and wait for an obstacle, run, stop, etc.). Overall conditioning will do you well, so a good cross training program is best. Build a good strength foundation (as noted above).

Probably the best advice I can give is to form a team to help each other through the obstacles (many of them cannot be completed without some help). Other Warriors will help you, but its always best to have a team (plus it is just more fun).

Enjoy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions. Build a foundation of general strength by following a good strength training program (NROLFW, for example).
    Also head over to a local playground and try to simulate the obstacles listed on their site:
    http://warriordash.com/obstacles/
    Good luck!

I'd echo this...

My wife did Warrior Dash with me last spring and she started hitting the weight room with me last January. For her, the best part was transferring that functional strength she was building in the weight room to the race course. I remember we were at the monkey bars and she was just going to go around...and I was like, "just do it...if you don't make it all the way then whatever...part of the fun is falling into the mud pit." She told me that she had never been able to do them even when she was a kid...but she gave it a whirl anyway...and she made the entire length and hit on every obstacle throughout the course with no problem. It was awesome to see her face light up when she realized that the work she was putting in at the weight room was paying dividends and she was actually "strong"

We didn't do the playground thing, but thought about it...thought it would be a good idea, but never really got around to it. As part of our weight lifting regimen though, we did do pull ups and other body weight/calisthenic kind of stuff which I thought really helped.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Like others have said, the majority of the obstacles are similar to climbing over walls or playground equipment. HITT is the best way go and simple strength training like pull ups, chin ups, push ups etc. will help.

The race will start with about a 1 mile run before the first obstacle so pace yourself accordingly. The remainder of the race will be going over or under an obstacle and then running/jogging/walking 100-500 yards to the next obstacle. Naturally the mud pit is the last obstacle.

So what is your heat time and are you doing it with others?
  • callmeampersand
    callmeampersand Posts: 29 Member
    Options

So what is your heat time and are you doing it with others?

I'm not sure on my heat time yet, probably go for earlier in the AM and I am trying to convince my husband to do it with me because it wouldn't be as much fun to do it by myself.
  • grneyedgoddess77
    grneyedgoddess77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This race is a blast with other people! Get your hubby to do it and maybe some friends. Or co-workers. or random strangers! lol Though by the end everyone is your friend and you just party.

I loved doing Warrior Dash - it was my first mud run. I was NOT in shape but still managed to do it. I will echo what others have said - be able to run the first mile, you will be waiting for obstacles; go to the playground and climb on everything; be able to scale a wall with a rope.

I have more race day tips for you if you want them. I LOVE mud runs! :)
  • lindseydavis07
    lindseydavis07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I have more race day tips for you if you want them. I LOVE mud runs! :)

Can you send me some tips? I run it in less than a month and this is my first one!! thanks!! :)
  • gbutterfly
    gbutterfly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The warrior dash is fun and a great obstacle race to start with if you are not sure of your fitness level. It is a fun supportive atmosphere and as others have said the obstacles really break up the running.
    Adding upper body (pull ups, monkey bars, weights, planks) and core work is helpful on some obstacles.

there is a lot of crawling on your hands and knees or belly, running/ walking through mud, swimming through muddy water, some climbing up ropes or other structures. I have only a little upper body strength (I can plank for 20-30 seconds at a time but i can only do one pull-up withought a chair or assistance and I was able to do all of the obstacles.)
    Some of the other races like Ruckus (which no longer exists), Tough Mudder, etc have more challenging obstacles ( monkey bars, steeper walls you have to pull yourself over, etc) and some longer distances to run.
    All the walls on the warrior dash had ropes or wood beams you could grab on to to help pull yourself over so it is doable with minimal upper body strength.

the other thing I would add is that the earlier heats tend to be more competitive with people who are more fit and run through obstacles more efficiently. the later heats (which unfortunately we did this year as the earlier times were taken by the time I signed up) tend to be slower. there are a lot of people just walking the whole way in the later times, especially on hills - and there is quite a pack up at some of the obstacles withe people feeling nervous about some of the climbing obstacles etc. so my advise- you want to go fast go in the early group - you feel out of shape and aren't sure if you can do some of the obstacles, go in a later group.

I also echo the idea others have stated of running in a group. I did all the warrior obstacles unassisted - but the last Ruckus I did I was so grateful to have a stronger friend to help give me a boost or a pull over some of the more challenging walls.