Dr. Oz

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    This should be required reading for every new member.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    After watching shows on the Raspberry Ketones, Green Tea Extract, and Garcinia whatever it is, it never seemed like he was endorsing them, just saying that there were people out there saying it helped them, and it may be something worth considering to help you.

But of course, I'm usually a pessimist on stuff like that because even my sisters used to do the Cabbage soup diet, or the Grapefruit diet, and I always felt like if that was the way to go, then nutritionists and other doctors would be really pushing those diets and/or supplements too. Just like the "detox's" and "cleanses". I have yet to hear a doctor or nutritionist say there's any value to doing those.

So, when Dr. Oz presents the latest "groundbreaking thing to weight loss", I'll see what they have to say, but I do check with my resources (doctors/nutritionists) before implementing such things. For one thing, when I did and jumped into things like ketones and tea extract, my liver enzymes went haywire.

Not every new thing is going to be "all that" for everyone. But there are things that can be helpful, and I don't feel like he "pushes" anything - I feel like he presents it as a possible option. There are people that felt like it worked for them, and it may work for others - it may not.

Keep in mind though that I've been on my weight loss journey for a few years now, and have mostly been able to decipher (with help) what works for me and what doesn't.

I don't know why people want to hate on Dr. Oz or others who entice people to THINK FOR THEMSELVES. I would definitely put him in a different class than people like Mayor Bloomberg (sp?) who thinks they can cure obesity by limiting the size of soft drinks you can buy at restaurants and/or convenient stores.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Not every new thing is going to be "all that" for everyone. But there are things that can be helpful, and I don't feel like he "pushes" anything - I feel like he presents it as a possible option. There are people that felt like it worked for them, and it may work for others - it may not.

Raspberry ketones, green coffee bean extract, HCG, cleanses and detoxes have all been pushed by Dr. Oz. None of them are proven. Like raspberry ketones. The trials on it have ONLY been done in rats. These rats were fed concentrations of it in excess of their body weight to see some minor changes. For a human to take that kind of dose would cost thousands of dollars a dose. There are some things that will work better for others. None of these miracle weight loss products work for anyone.

The FDA has charged 4 US weight-loss companies with fraud for deceptive advertising and "unfound promises" of weight loss. Dr. Oz has endorsed 3 out of 4 of these companies.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/business/us-charges-4-companies-with-deception-in-weight-loss-products.html
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    After watching shows on the Raspberry Ketones, Green Tea Extract, and Garcinia whatever it is, it never seemed like he was endorsing them, just saying that there were people out there saying it helped them, and it may be something worth considering to help you.

But of course, I'm usually a pessimist on stuff like that because even my sisters used to do the Cabbage soup diet, or the Grapefruit diet, and I always felt like if that was the way to go, then nutritionists and other doctors would be really pushing those diets and/or supplements too. Just like the "detox's" and "cleanses". I have yet to hear a doctor or nutritionist say there's any value to doing those.

So, when Dr. Oz presents the latest "groundbreaking thing to weight loss", I'll see what they have to say, but I do check with my resources (doctors/nutritionists) before implementing such things. For one thing, when I did and jumped into things like ketones and tea extract, my liver enzymes went haywire.

Keep in mind though that I've been on my weight loss journey for a few years now, and have mostly been able to decipher (with help) what works for me and what doesn't.

I don't know why people want to hate on Dr. Oz or others who entice people to THINK FOR THEMSELVES. I would definitely put him in a different class than people like Mayor Bloomberg (sp?) who thinks they can cure obesity by limiting the size of soft drinks you can buy at restaurants and/or convenient stores.

Because they cause harm to people. Stop giving them a pass.
    Dr. Mehmet Oz, who has done such a disservice to his TV viewers by promoting quack medical practices that he is now the first person to win a Pigasus two years in a row. Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician who, through his syndicated TV show, has promoted faith healing, "energy medicine," and other quack theories that have no scientific basis. Oz has appeared on ABC News to give legitimacy to the claims of Brazilian faith healer “John of God,” who uses old carnival tricks to take money from the seriously ill. He's hosted Ayurvedic guru Yogi Cameron on his show to promote nonsense "tongue examination" as a way of diagnosing health problems. This year, he really went off the deep end. In March 2011, Dr. Oz endorsed "psychic" huckster and past Pigasus winner John Edward, who pretends to talk to dead people. Oz even suggested that bereaved families should visit psychic mediums to receive (faked) messages from their dead relatives as a form of grief counseling.
    http://www.randi.org/site/jref-news/1260-pigasus-2011
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Wait, you mean a message board full of people that let themselves get grossly overweight know more than Dr. Oz who has exercised and kept himself in shape his entire career? Really?

Could I find a better reference for healthy living from a doctor in Peoria? Shreveport? Kalamazoo?

Next you're all going to tell me that a message board full of divorcées know more about maintaining a good relationship with your spouse than Dr. Phil...

:-)
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    For me, he introduces to many home remedies with no scientific research. I get he's running a show and needs to fill up time, but at the same time he's seems to be getting sued left and right for some of these remedies. He has a show and a voice, and to many people follow anything he introduces. Sounds like a fraud to me.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Wait, you mean a message board full of people that let themselves get grossly overweight know more than Dr. Oz who has exercised and kept himself in shape his entire career? Really?

First of all, not all people on here allowed themselves to get "grossly overweight" as you put it. If you were indirectly attacking me you are correct that at one point I was obese. I was also ignorant to nutrition and thought taking magic pills on Dr. Oz's show would fix that.

Second, if you think that Dr. Oz promotes legitimate advice then you also believe that psychics can talk to the dead, we can diagnose ourselves by simply looking at our tongue, we don't need medicine because faith can heal, and that all the magic pills he promotes actually work (like 3 different products he has promoted for weight loss that are currently being charged with fraud).
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/2117-dr-oz-a-hazzard-to-americas-health.html

Dr. Oz: A Hazard To America's Health
    Written by Jamy Ian Swiss
    Is Dr. Oz a fraud or a fool? I can’t know for sure, and I don’t care.

I do know this: He sure doesn’t seem like much of a scientist to me.

And I am also pretty damned sure that he is a hazard to America’s health. And probably the greatest hazard on network television today. And that’s saying something.

When was the last time that a revolutionary, historic, scientific breakthrough was first demonstrated and announced on an afternoon television talk show?

The correct answer: NEVER.

The author of the article I posted had the same sentiments. If there was an actual scientific breakthrough for fat loss Dr. Oz would not be the first one to announce it.

LMAO..Kinda like those people who watch the finding bigfoot shows and documentaries holding on to their seats wondering "Will this week be the week they actually find him?, OMG, I cant wait, Jethrow, get the popcorn, we gonna see us a bigfoot on the sci-fi channel!"
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Wait, you mean a message board full of people that let themselves get grossly overweight know more than Dr. Oz who has exercised and kept himself in shape his entire career?

"We can also arm ourselves with the knowledge that not all evidence is created equally, and celebrities—even famous doctors—are not credible sources of health information."

source: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/01/can_you_trust_dr_oz_his_medical_advice_often_conflicts_with_the_best_science.html

Give it a read.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Wait, you mean a message board full of people that let themselves get grossly overweight know more than Dr. Oz who has exercised and kept himself in shape his entire career?

"We can also arm ourselves with the knowledge that not all evidence is created equally, and celebrities—even famous doctors—are not credible sources of health information."

source: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/01/
    can_you_trust_dr_oz_his_medical_advice_often_conflicts_with_the_best_science.html

Give it a read.

It cut off the end of it, so I broke the link up into two lines.

Another good quote: ?So how are we supposed to tell medicine from miracles? As a general rule, said Victor Montori, an evidence-based medicine guru at the Mayo Clinic, “If studies are cited, then this cannot be, at the same time, a secret revealed just to you now. If the studies are any good, the effects are usually very small.” Referring to Oz’s holiday weight-loss advice, he added: “It is very unlikely that an important compound hidden in the garcinia could have a big effect.”
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

source: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/01/can_you_trust_dr_oz_his_medical_advice_often_conflicts_with_the_best_science.html

Give it a read.

If Dr. Oz has "invented the wheel" in curing obesity - why do you suppose he keeps reinventing it with other pills, potions, etc? If one of his ideas actually worked - he'd be riding that cash cow like a liquored up rodeo clown.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The real miracle is vodka:

ay5L1eY_460sa.gif
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

First of all, not all people on here allowed themselves to get "grossly overweight" as you put it. If you were indirectly attacking me you are correct that at one point I was obese. I was also ignorant to nutrition and thought taking magic pills on Dr. Oz's show would fix that.

Second, if you think that Dr. Oz promotes legitimate advice then you also believe that psychics can talk to the dead, we can diagnose ourselves by simply looking at our tongue, we don't need medicine because faith can heal, and that all the magic pills he promotes actually work (like 3 different products he has promoted for weight loss that are currently being charged with fraud).

PSSST...the smiley tells me he was being sarcastic...;)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think he started out wanting to do a legitimately medical-driven talk show... but the network drove home pushing the sponsors and shoved a wad of cash at him, and he was like "WTH!"

^^ This too!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    6OUY

I completely agree. Dr. Oz needs to stop pushing pills/supplements/diets that have absolutely zero scientific data backing it's use for weight loss. Considering he has 4 million viewers daily, he could hold a decent amount of sway over people, and he's endorsing things that not only do nothing he claims they do, but they could potentially be dangerous, since they haven't been studied fully.

There's no miracle or magic pill. There's only hard work and educating yourself.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This should be required reading for every new member.
    ^^^YESSSSSS
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker who has been dieting on Dr. Oz's advice for almost 2 years and has yet to lose a single pound.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Could I find a better reference for healthy living from a doctor in Peoria? Shreveport? Kalamazoo?

Next you're all going to tell me that a message board full of divorcées know more about maintaining a good relationship with your spouse than Dr. Phil...

Lulz, you must be new here.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    6OUY

Sorry Stealing the gif.

I think this is the first common sense post about Dr Oz I have read. Coming from the UK the first time I came across him was when someone was talking about the 'benefits' of raspberry ketones.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I can't tell if this is exceptionally well-written sarcasm or not...