Life Changing Books...

Options
124»

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options

Me:

The Iliad & the Odyssey (didn't end up being an archeologist, though)
    Anything by Andre Norton (read in high school)
    Ender's Game (ignore the author, loved the book)

No wonder we get along so well!

Mine:

The Two Faces of Tomorrow, James P. Hogan (And/or the Giantstar Trilogy)
    Cliffdwellers of the Mesa Verde - Gustaf Nordenskiold
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series - Douglas Adams
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Man's Search For Meaning
    The Metamorphosis (short story, but really good)
    Alice in wonderland.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Oh, the places you'll go.. .Dr. Seuss (seriously!)
    The Five People you Meet in Heaven
    Crime and Punishment...(only because it was a REALLY hard read and I taught myself I could stick to something I did not enjoy...much like dieting)

Crime and Punishment is my all time favorite book. Senior english teacher made us read it. She called us her little Raskolnikov's and said she always made her students read it to make sure we understood that just because we were smart enough to get away with murder, didn't mean we wouldn't pay for it in the end.....

Also going to second the Ender's Game ignore the author post, followed by read Speaker for the Dead, because it's even better.
  • JackiSto
    JackiSto Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The Stand - Stephen King. Because after this book I knew there was no turning back from my utter love of King and his ability to mess up your whole psychology.

East of Eden - Steinbeck. Who we are is about the decisions we make along the way.

The Dive From Clausen's Pier - Ann Packer. It wasn't even that great of a book but something in it related to me at that particular point in life and said some things I needed to hear about moving on.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    1. “The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business” by Charles Duhigg
    2. “I love you but I am not in love with you” by Andrew G. Marshall
    3. “This Present Darkness” by Frank Peretti (This is the book that started my love for reading)

Have #1 on my wall; great book.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've read so many that it's hard to narrow it down to just three. However, one that sticks out automatically to me is Rescuing Sprite. That book was so touching that it left me emotional for weeks after reading it. I read it shortly after the loss of our family dog, so it struck a nerve in me. Reminded me that I was not so alone in my grief and that it was okay to grieve a dog in such a way.

There are many more books that have had a positive impact on my life. That one just stands out the most. I really recommend it for anyone who loves dogs.
  • asaffell
    asaffell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1. The Slight Edge - Jeff Olson
    2. David and Goliath - Malcolm Gladwell
    3. Still Life with Woodpecker - Tom Robbins
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Interview with a vampire - Anne Rice

Enders Game - Orson Scott Card

Neuromancer - William Gibson
  • Jlwilson50
    Jlwilson50 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The art of power
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Man's Search For Meaning
    The Metamorphosis (short story, but really good)
    Alice in wonderland.

I forgot Survival of the Sickest.
  • j67867
    j67867 Posts: 27
    Options
    anything on anthropology
  • SherriBaba
    Options
    The Puppy That Lost His Way

Although the part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that fracking dog.

LoL! I love Billy Madison
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The first book I remember that changed my life was the Lion the Witch and the wardrobe - because I read it in 4th grade and I did not know that books came in a series .lol I was beside myself , I also read this series to each of my children as bedtime stories . Each child would come in a listen as I was reading it to the younger child ( that was beautiful )

Number two was The crying heart tattoo- by David Martin . I read this book so many times and each time I identified with the main character in very different phases of her life . It's a very weird book though. I have no idea what I was doing reading it when I was 14...

Number three was It by Stephen king I didn't know I liked scary books and this one was so scary . Didn't like the movie though

I find I too cannot stick to three and must add the Dragon riders of Pern ...
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

3. Still Life with Woodpecker - Tom Robbins

I have tried to read this book several times and just cannot find any interest in it . I have never in my life had trouble reading a book ? I have read books I hated and I'm not sure what the problem is hahaha.