Oatmeal Question

Options
This might sound silly, but...
1 cup oatmeal + 2 cups water = ??? Is that 3 cups of oatmeal or do I have to measure out the cooked oatmeal??

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Weigh the oats dry for your calorie count.

And I say weigh, not measure. If I measure out 1/2 cup oats, the suggested serving size on the container, it contains 180 calories, not the 150 stated. One hundred and fifty calories of oats is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 cup.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Adding water doesn't add calories. Weigh it dry, that's your calorie amount - even it if bulks when cooking it is still the same calories.
  • TheMrsSpringer
    Options
    The water to cook it doesn't make it more - it is still 1 cup of oatmeal.
  • MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Weigh the oats dry for your calorie count.

And I say weigh, not measure. If I measure out 1/2 cup oats, the suggested serving size on the container, it contains 180 calories, not the 150 stated. One hundred and fifty calories of oats is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 cup.

Get a food scale. I confirmed the above quote this week. I had been measuring out a level 1/2 cup of oats and finally weighed them and the calorie difference is significant (especially over a period of time).

Otherwise, some calorie counts are for cooked oats and some dry, just be specific if you are getting the calorie count from MFP. Double check online if the calories count seems too small. Some of the calorie counts on MFP are way off. I weigh dry (in grams rather than ounces) and then figure calories from that measurement.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've eaten probably 350 bowls of oatmeal over the last year and measured using a standard measuring cup only to find out I've likely been eating a bit more than what I thought I was. Sigh.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've eaten probably 350 bowls of oatmeal over the last year and measured using a standard measuring cup only to find out I've likely been eating a bit more than what I thought I was. Sigh.

And there's probably been 350 other things you've eaten in the year that were actually less calories than you thought. Don't stress about it too much. Once you get a scale you'll find some things cheated you in calories and some things are more than you thought. It works both ways.