Who Inspires You?

Options
Who do you look up to in your quest to become more fit and healthy? My big inspirations are my parents. When I was growing up, my mom was a smoker. She tried to quit numerous times and flirted with exercise on occasion. My dad was a runner (back in the day before running became a big thing). He tried yoga and lifted weights. He got the mind/body connection. Fast forward: mom passed from lung cancer at 60. Dad is now 78. He travels, carves in his workshop and can still spend a full day outside doing yard work. They gave me all the proof I'll ever need that staying fit is worth the effort. My mom also showed me that denial can be a dangerous thing.

What about you?

Replies

• Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My condolences for your mother and as for your father, he sounds like an amazing man!
    To be truthful, my inspiration is my 7-month old daughter. Many of my family members have passed from obesity-related diseases and the inspiration she will have will be me. I need to live up to that and show that I am strong, beautiful and healthy. I want her to grow up loving herself with a vivacity for life.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Your daughter is lucky to have your example. There are so many competing influences in the life of a child. I do believe, though, that parents exert the most influence, either through positive or negative example.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not to sound "really into myself" but to be frank I inspire me.

I see how far I have come and I am amazed at myself...not just the weight loss either but in building strenght...

Everytime I nail a lift (all sets and reps) I am like "holy crap woman" and I rawr...hehe...
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's not who I look up to but down to. My son. He makes me want to be a better me, better mom, better health wise, just a better all around version of me
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    When I was getting started last year, it was my son who had to lose 100 lbs so he could join the Army. Watching him reach his goal helped to inspire me to start. While he's still a major inspiration to me, now I'm more inspired by myself. When I lift more today than last week, or I ride further or faster than yesterday.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Not to sound "really into myself" but to be frank I inspire me.

I see how far I have come and I am amazed at myself...not just the weight loss either but in building strenght...

Everytime I nail a lift (all sets and reps) I am like "holy crap woman" and I rawr...hehe...

It doesn't sound "into myself". It's sounds like self empowerment. That's been one of the biggest side benefits of getting fit for me. When I crossed the finish line of my first half marathon, I had a "rawrrr" moment and thought "What else have I missed out on because I set my goals too low? What else can I achieve?"
  • Running_Spirit
    Options
    Honestly, I'm my biggest inspiration. When I look at my before photo it's a huge motivator to continue with the changes I've made in my life. For outside inspirations.. Dana Linn Bailey!
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My old self. I was never "too tired" to hit the gym, go out with friends, cook after work. I was never too apathetic/stubborn/complacent/lazy to try a new dance class. I've fallen away from my good habits, but by looking back at my own life I know that my goals are achievable, because I achieved them before.

My external inspirations are hockey players Dominik Hasek and Patrice Bergeron. When I fall off the wagon, I look at my poster of Hasek hoisting the Stanley Cup and remind myself that you don't have to have a 100% save percentage to reach your goal. And when I don't want to work out, or I think I'm too tired, I remember how Patrice Bergeron played through the finals with like 8 gazillion injuries. Throwing in a few more reps doesn't seem so impossible when I think about how that kid played his heart out with half his body broken!