Atlas wearable-promising wristband tracker?

Options
Huffdogg
Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atlas-the-first-fitness-tracker-that-actually-tracks-your-workout

Looks intriguing. Not only measures heart rate, but proposes to track movement through multiple axes to actually identify the type of exercise you are performing. I wonder how useful the collected data would actually prove to be, but the fact that the technology may be achievable is interesting regardless.

Replies

• HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Excellent experience with the Atlas Wearables and their team
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Garmins have been doing that for a year or two. It counts reps, you tell it how much weight, finally you get a graph showing your progress.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the Garmin but the Atlas can determine the exercise type. I haven't used mine in quite some time (broken band and I can't stand anything but a wrap on my wrist, too distracting) but they have improved it to where you can "teach" it to recognize your specific exercise form when it has trouble with detection. Pretty amazing if it doesn't bother you while using it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    What the Garmin can do is know whether you're found a deadlift or a squat, etc. Is that what you mean?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I think the atlas (or another brand like it) already includes or was slated to include things like tempo and bar path monitoring-so not just determining that you’re doing a squat, but what’s the speed/tempo of the squat, and is your bar going straight (presumably determined by how the hand holding the bar is Moving and not the actual bar). So it’s measuring the quality of the movement-not just that the movement occurred.

That might be the atlas or a different brand. I had a friend who was looking into them a bit ago and I don’t remember which is which. It was pretty cool technology if you’re a lifter who is into that kind of thing.