why did "eat a banana" become the answer for K...

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
in the public consciousness (K is the chemical symbol for potassium and used to keep the thread title under 60 character limit)?

I hate this...most healthy, "whole foods" have a lot of potassium, including fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts (usually to lesser extent), dairy and meats.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Because bananas are the yummiest source of potassium.

At least in my opinion anyway. I could eat 3 bananas a day but won't look twice at a sweet potato.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Because bananas are the yummiest source of potassium.

At least in my opinion anyway. I could eat 3 bananas a day but won't look twice at a sweet potato.

Don't know if they're the tastiest, but they are the best known source for mixing with Nutella.
  • _John_
    Options
    nutrionally speaking bananas aren't even a good choice in fruits...nutrient density to calorie count is quite low.

(which could be a positive for clean eating bulkers)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I recently found the joy of the pomegranate, which has a pretty decent amount of potassium. It's like opening a treasure chest of tiny ruby red seeds of deliciousness.
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can carry one in your gym bag and eat it without utensils if you get leg/foot cramps. There are lots of other potassium-rich foods, but not many that are as convenient as bananas.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    nutrionally speaking bananas aren't even a good choice in fruits...nutrient density to calorie count is quite low.

(which could be a positive for clean eating bulkers)

A banana is like 100 calories. Do you know how many other high-caloric, low-nutrient foods I eat in a day?

LEAVE BANANA ALONE!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I wondered that too the first time I logged a banana into mfp. I was expecting like this HUGE amount of potassium... not so much. Now I just don't really bother with them, bananas are okay, but I'm not so in love with their calorie count. Not worth it for me, my kids love them though so I still buy 'em occasionally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it's just because most people have heard the bananas are good sources of potassium and they don't have much knowledge beyond that. In reality, it's just an ok source of potassium...there are much better sources. Also, if people don't do their own research...which most don't...then they don't realize that potassium isn't required on food labels so a lot of the foods they are already eating in fact have all of the potassium their bodies need.

My primary sources to really give me a boost are Low sodium V8, potatoes (skin on), and coconut water.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I think because it's a quick and portable source.

However I would much rather eat some skin-on potatoes for much more potassium... or drink a glass of low sodium V8 (with around 1000mg)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    tumblr_static_tumblr_mlmzp770ke1s9do40o1_500.gif
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I think it's just because most people have heard the bananas are good sources of potassium and they don't have much knowledge beyond that. In reality, it's just an ok source of potassium...there are much better sources. Also, if people don't do their own research...which most don't...then they don't realize that potassium isn't required on food labels so a lot of the foods they are already eating in fact have all of the potassium their bodies need.

My primary sources to really give me a boost are Low sodium V8, potatoes (skin on), and coconut water.

Jinx!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bananas have about a half a gram of potassium per banana (give or take) and an adult (according to Chiquita's own website) should be getting 4.7 grams of potassium a day. That's 9 bananas a day (give or take) to get a day's worth of potassium. That's a lot of time in the bathroom I'd rather not spend.

I did a quick Google search for a list of foods with more potassium than bananas. Below is what I found. (I know there are a lot of these out here and I didn't cross-check for accuracy, but the info is very available.)
    Although bananas have gotten the most attention as a good source of potassium, it turns out that so are most fruits and vegetables, as well as many other foods. Here are ten common foods with more potassium than bananas:
    1. Potato (1,081 mg)
    2. Winter squash (896 mg)
    3. Spinach (839 mg)
    4. Baked beans (752 mg)
    5. Raisins (544 mg)
    6. Avocados (540 mg)
    7. Yogurt, low-fat (531 mg)
    8. Orange juice (496 mg)
    9. Cantaloupe (494 mg)
    10. Tuna (484 mg)

Nuts, seeds, breads, cereals, soups, chocolate and molasses are also good sources of potassium.

Source: http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/10-common-foods-with-more-potassium-than-bananas-554715.html
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Bananas have about a half a gram of potassium per banana (give or take) and an adult (according to Chiquita's own website) should be getting 4.7 grams of potassium a day. That's 9 bananas a day (give or take) to get a day's worth of potassium. That's a lot of time in the bathroom I'd rather not spend.

I did a quick Google search for a list of foods with more potassium than bananas. Below is what I found. (I know there are a lot of these out here and I didn't cross-check for accuracy, but the info is very available.)
    Although bananas have gotten the most attention as a good source of potassium, it turns out that so are most fruits and vegetables, as well as many other foods. Here are ten common foods with more potassium than bananas:
    1. Potato (1,081 mg)
    2. Winter squash (896 mg)
    3. Spinach (839 mg)
    4. Baked beans (752 mg)
    5. Raisins (544 mg)
    6. Avocados (540 mg)
    7. Yogurt, low-fat (531 mg)
    8. Orange juice (496 mg)
    9. Cantaloupe (494 mg)
    10. Tuna (484 mg)

Nuts, seeds, breads, cereals, soups, chocolate and molasses are also good sources of potassium.

Source: http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/10-common-foods-with-more-potassium-than-bananas-554715.html

I don't eat 2, 6, 9, or 10. Who would want to consume 4 daily? And I haven't looked at a raisin in years.

Can't I just have my bananas?!?!
  • _John_
    Options
    tumblr_static_tumblr_mlmzp770ke1s9do40o1_500.gif

white potatoes have supprisingly much to offer...

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2551/2
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Oh I know!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    For me, because my pediatric cardiologist prescribed them. I was having to take bucket-loads of antibiotics that depleted my potassium levels and the dingbat prescribed for me four bananas a day for 12 wks.

Why? Why not give my mother a list of K+-rich foods and give her a level I had to hit? It sure would have made things easier on both of us.

Can I just mention that although I loved bananas before then, that it took 15 yrs. for me to finally get over feeling nauseated every time I smelled banana? And probably another year before I'd risk eating one? Thankfully, I finally got over it and enjoy them again.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Good marketing by Chiquita and Panama?
  • _John_
    Options

much truth there.

IIRC greens have some of the best K for calorie bang...but it's not like you just eat a ton of those and not have physical limitations to how much you eat (collared greens FTW).
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I want to know too. Because bananas are number 10 on the top 10 foods that contain potassium. Maybe because they are so portable? I add black strap molasses to my honey and salt home made energy gel for the potassium.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

much truth there.

IIRC greens have some of the best K for calorie bang...but it's not like you just eat a ton of those and not have physical limitations to how much you eat (collared greens FTW).

Ooooh... now collard greens we can discuss. I love em!