What do you doing during the winter?

Options
I've been running for a couple weeks, but as the weather gets worse, so do the conditions of the blacktop trails I use. Ice is the major issue; even areas that have been plowed have snow that will melt off during the day and refreeze in a clear layer of ice over surfaces during the night.

I've been to the gym once, and not only was it mind-numbing, but my knees were really sore after only a half hour on a treadmill. I already have knee issues. Not a fan, I'd rather take a careful walk outside.

The roads are kept pretty clear, but I live in a big city, and there are always new stories of runners getting hit.

So, to those of you that run in nasty, cold, mountainous areas- what do you do during the winter?

Replies

• ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym, work and ski if at all possible.
  • maryanncampo1974
    Options
    Not sure where in this fine nation you are, but I am in Brooklyn NY and I teach Zumba to a group of ladies. Although it's Winter and very cold here in NY, these ladies come out in rain sleet and snow. they keep me going....
  • fatcat0908
    fatcat0908 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do the elliptical, the treadmill kills my knees too. I also belong to my local YMCA, so I do a lot of swimming and take an aqua zumba class.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Workout indoors. Elliptical is a good substitute for outdoor running (for me). It seems to create the same calorie burn.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a couple weeks, but as the weather gets worse, so do the conditions of the blacktop trails I use. Ice is the major issue; even areas that have been plowed have snow that will melt off during the day and refreeze in a clear layer of ice over surfaces during the night.

I've been to the gym once, and not only was it mind-numbing, but my knees were really sore after only a half hour on a treadmill. I already have knee issues. Not a fan, I'd rather take a careful walk outside.

The roads are kept pretty clear, but I live in a big city, and there are always new stories of runners getting hit.

So, to those of you that run in nasty, cold, mountainous areas- what do you do during the winter?

Fitness trampolines are really easy on the knees.....the nicer ones are anyway. I like my Jumpsport.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I've tried plenty of stuff and now I'm in Love with home DVDs.... nothing like they use to be when I was 'young'. ha

I'm currently doing T25. Love that I can be done with my workout in less time than it would take to get to the gym, get changed and get ready to work.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I live in near Kansas City and man is it cold right now! I completely ditched the walking outside and have been doing workout videos inside. I recently started 30 Day Shred and it is a killer workout! I also do Wii Dance for a lighter cardio workout on off days.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I still run through the winter although with our recent bout of weather, it has slowed me down. I find winter as the best time to crosstrain. Catch a spin class or hit the elliptical on days where you can't run outside. I have a treadmill in the basement and a gym membership but I'd prefer to run outside.

I usually run in the morning before work (I try to hit the street by 5am). I don't live in a big city so running the streets is probably easier, but I'm sure there are just as many idiots! I used to wear a reflective vest and that helped but I recently bought a Tracer 360 vest by Noxgear (www.noxgear.com) . It runs about $55 bucks but it's worth it. It's well lit, you can set the mode so it's steady or flashing and I have had no close calls since I've been wearing it. Highly recommend it for the early morning or night runner!

One thing to note: If you want to maintain your running fitness (not your total fitness level) it's recommended that you try to still get at least 3 runs in a week outside (or a track if you have one) of 20-30 minutes and at least one long run a month.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Mountain biking, moto-cross, some running and lots of push ups!
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    aqua zumba?! that sounds so fun!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I freeze... yep that's about it , just freeze!
  • ghostfingers
    Options
    I freeze... yep that's about it , just freeze!

I'm just worried about breaking my ankles! I've discovered some new and interested ways to bundle up.... luckily I'm in Utah, though. We get cold, but we've yet to go below zero this year. It's pretty manageable, temperature-wise.
  • waytogoraus
    Options
    I live in New England and during winter I replace my running with circuit training DVDs at home. I love Jillian Michael's routines (30 Day Shred, Body Revolution, Extreme Shed & Shred). They incorporate strength training but have cardio intervals, and I find that the circuits keep up my endurance so that when spring time comes around I do not start from square one with my running times/speed.

When I'm really desperate for a run, I will find a clear patch of road or a neighborhood block and just run in circles. Earlier this week I wanted to run, but the only road cleared of ice was my own, and so I spent an hour running up and down my street. I'm sure the neighbors think I'm crazy but it does the trick! :)
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hiya. The trainer at my old gym told me running on the treadmill at the flat setting (when you first turn it on) is equivalent to running downhill and so can damage your knees which may be why you had pain. To fix it he said to set incline to 0.5 or 1 per cent xx
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Same thing I do in the summer, just with more clothes on.

Just think of the extra slick spots as an adventure.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Strategic weather watching........if there is an hour its not raining or snowing I hit the trails. Dirt trails are much easier to navigate in cold weather, messy at times, but better traction.

My gym has an indoor running track with rowing machines for intervals, thats an option.

Crossfit class at the gym.

Hiking and snowshoeing are fun workouts too.

Mostly though I get wet and cold here in the PNW, because I neeeeed to be outside.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Hide inside the house....I'm a wuss. It's been a very very cold winter here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate that I live in a fairly temperate climate so, while we do occasionally get nailed with bitter cold, snow, etc...it's pretty rare and for the most part we can count on highs being in the upper 30s/lower 40s for much of the winter. I can handle that and still get out on my bike pretty regularly. That said, my routine is more routinely interrupted due to weather and I don't log nearly the miles I do the rest of the year.

Other than that, I hit the weight room hard and I do some cross training at the gym with the rowing machine or stair stepper, etc when I can't get out on the bike.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm in MN and still run and walk my dog outdoors. I go slower and wear my spikes if it's icy but the roads get plowed and are ok usually. I just ran 4 miles yesterday and walked 3 today. It's been really cold lately but got up to 20 yesterday!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I snowshoe every day, I cross country ski, I down hill ski, I sleigh, I tube, I hike
    I snowboard, hockey, ice skating, biathalons
    I LOVE WINTER SPORTS!