Fitbit

Options
Hello :)
I've just bought my fitbit one and had it on for 5 minutes it already says I have burned 1243 calories? This surely cannot be right anyone know why it would say that?

Replies

• taoistpunk
    taoistpunk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It probably calculated how much you burned since 12:01am...a 24 hr calculation from BMR
  • WickedddMelon
    WickedddMelon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Exactly. It tracks your BMR and also adds on whatever fitness calories burned based on what it's able to track. I have a FitBit Flex. It's a cool idea, and I do enjoy the sleep tracking and the silent alarm in the mornings, but the pedometer is pretty worthless when it tracks every little movement your arm makes as a step.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It probably calculated how much you burned since 12:01am...a 24 hr calculation from BMR

Yes - mine says when I wake up that I have burned 423 calories at 6:30AM. Likewise, if you have a very sedentary day, it subtracts calories burned.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes I noticed that as well. I go mine on Tuesday. I reckon it estimates it based on info you gave it. On a normal day it projects how much you'll have burnt based on your movements though the day.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/2BKG6H

Add me if you like :)
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The above are right with regard to the estimated calories burned for today. I've had a fitbit one for almost a year, love it. I clip my to my bra so no false readings when swinging my arms.
  • sky15425
    sky15425 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You need to give it a couple of days to get more accurate numbers. It'll give more and take away depending on your activities.
  • fatcat0908
    fatcat0908 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's your BMR plus the calories you burnt.