Advice on hotel living please

Options
13»

Replies

• Richard_101
    Options
    Im in a similar situation. Ive got two trips back to back. This week Im in Great Yarmouth living out of a Premier Inn while I'm with clients and next week I'm in London.

London should be fine but Im not sure what Im going to do for evening meals, breakfast. I think its going to be a case of moderation and making sure I dont fall to the temptation of a full english breakfast every morning.

One idea I had was chop and bag some carrots etc as they should keep for a couple of days. At leas I can use them to snack on.
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Since you don't get to pick your hotel and can't ask to stay in a place with a kitchenette or fridge/microwave (excellent prior suggestions), I think buying an inexpensive microwave and cooler is an excellent idea. When I travel for business, I always make sure my room has the micro/fridge, and it makes all the difference to be able to prepare my own food. I am able to avoid restaurants entirely, shop from the local grocery store, and expense the grocery store food. I suggest packing a can opener and simple utensils (flatware, plate, bowl). Good luck!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good recommendation in these posts for food.

What I've done in the past for long hotel stays is also rent a bike. After coming back from a long day of work, I would prefer taking a long bike ride than going to the gym. Gives you an advantage of biking different routes every day and exploring different parts of the city too. You can easily store the bike in your hotel room, and I've never had a problem with using the hotel elevator to transport bike from room to lobby. I've also done the bike rental thing in several countries. Don't worry about doing the research trying to find a bike. Delegate it to one of the hotel staff, most want to make your stay enjoyable and know where to get the best deal for sport rentals. Good luck!
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My husband has a job that has him living in a hotel Mon-Friday every week. He's been doing this for 7 or 8 years now. I get to go with him a lot, and some tricks I've found...

-Try to get a room on the top floor, and always take the stairs.
    -Keep fruit or vegetables around.
    - I always log my food BEFORE we go out to eat. I look up what the places serve, choose what I'm eating, then log it on here.
    -If you are someone who snacks out of boredom (I am!) then this can be a good thing, you don't have a bunch of food sitting around to chose from.
    -You don't have to eat all the bread. Skip the rolls with dinner, take off the top piece of bread on your sandwich. Save a lot of calories, almost painlessly.
  • UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ask the Chef for a raw food plate with fruit and veg and the meat on the side grilled, baked or poached.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Just a tip... Most hotels will give you a mini fridge for your room if you tell them you have medication that needs to be refrigerated. Most will not charge for this.