Buying clothes to slim into?

Options
Is it worth it or not? I've seen a gorgeous dress in the sale and was considering buying it, and hanging it where I can see it, as inspiration and motivation.
Has anyone else done this?

Replies

• callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I am going to be buying a size down pair of jeans. I think it is great motivation to get you where you want to be. Hang it up in your room so you can see it and aspire to get there?

Great idea, IMO!
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have done it before, but I wouldn't recommend it. When you lose the weight, the dress may not fit correctly (depending on where the weight drops from) or it may not be flattering on your new smaller self. I've learned that I actually like how different styles of dresses fit me now, while some of the styles I used to find flattering I no longer favor.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Only if it's like one size smaller than my current size.
  • jillmcafee
    jillmcafee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have tried motivating myself with "thinner me" clothes and it didn't work. HOWEVER, I have NO problem rewarding myself with "thinner me" clothes as I slim down!.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Many times, and then ended up selling on ebay later!

It's hard to know exactly what shape you are going to end up, even if you end up at the size you want. So just because the dress is the size you want to be, it doesn't mean it will fit right when you get there.

Also, fashions change quickly, as do your perceptions of what you do and don't like......

Why not set a Pinterest page up and add the things you like there. That way you can drool over a whole closet full of clothes.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
  • MariaA1960
    MariaA1960 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ooh, good idea about Pinterest!

The dress is only £8 (reduced from £40) & isn't ridiculously tiny, it's a size smaller than I currently am. It would be a nice outfit for Spring - I should have dropped a dress size by March.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

The dress is only £8 (reduced from £40) & isn't ridiculously tiny, it's a size smaller than I currently am. It would be a nice outfit for Spring - I should have dropped a dress size by March.

In that case, I'd get it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I only do this with jeans, but I do the same thing, I buy them on clearance. I've recently purchased 3 pairs of jeans that are a size down from where I am, because I'm getting pretty close to being able to wear them.
  • hittingitonemoretime
    hittingitonemoretime Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of jeans on sale, that are four sizes down from where I am now. I am use them as motivation..
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

In that case, I'd get it.

Ditto that.

I have so many clothes that don't fit properly. For me, it actually makes me feel worse. I want to feel good in what I wear NOW so I stay inspired. It just depresses me to see clothes I WANT to wear now, but can't because they don't fit...yet. But that only means shopping in my closet down the road.
  • fluffy_fuwa
    fluffy_fuwa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've done it. I used to wear size 12 jeans and sometimes...I would have to get a large shirt because medium was starting to become to small!

I would just buy the next size down pants and a shirt that I happened to find at the store that I liked a lot but "it wouldn't fit quite right." We've all ran into those types of shirts I'm sure when out clothes shopping for ourselves so instead of returning it to the racks, I'd buy that one shirt anyways and pair it with the jeans that were a size smaller. I wouldn't display it or anything but kept it hung up in my closet.

I don't know about others but it worked great for me. I now wear size 4-5 pants and sometimes even a small shirt can fit me.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm currently buying clothes that are a little tight (size 10) because if I buy a larger size, it will be a little big and in a few weeks to a month, it would be way too big. I know in a couple of weeks the size 10 will fit perfectly. I wouldn't buy several sizes smaller though. I would stick to whatever size you can "zip" (just because it zips doesn't mean it fits). If it doesn't zip, I wouldn't bother with it right now.
  • Belleartist
    Options
    I have but only if its a size smaller than what i currently am
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes... I did it and it worked for me. I bought a bright red strapless dress and hung it on the outside of my closet (which was near my scale). Every morning, I got on the scale and looked at the red dress, and before I knew it, it fit and then became too lose. I think it was a huge motivator for me. Also, it was stretchy, so not fitted (this definitely helped) and when I bought it, I was about 35lbs away from fitting in to it comfortably.

On a related note, as soon as I moved and I didn't have this same set-up anymore, I gained some lbs back!
  • donnarogers6211
    donnarogers6211 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have lost 108 pounds and I do this on regular basis. I am wearing size 12 now and I have plenty of clothes so when I see something on sale I am getting 10's. I have had to buy all new clothes twice since April 2013. It sure saves when you buy them on sale.
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I also got 2 size smaller jeans for xmas. I really like it- my first designer jeans ( please note im 37 years young)
    It doesnt fit just yet,but Im almost there... Probably about 5-8 pounds away. I can not wait to fit into it... Its on my desk ,took a pic of the tag as motivation... :)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've done this and I would not recommend only because while it might be a motivator, it can also be a waste of money. Mainly because while you are going to lose weight, you want a dress that is going to fit what ever that new slim body of yours becomes. It's much more fun to go into a store and try on smaller sizes and buy things that look great on you than trying it the other way around.
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I wish this website had some sort of clothes exchange. I have so many clothes that are to big for me. Which would be perfect for someone that is losing weight so they don't have to buy all the inbetween sizes.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it or not? I've seen a gorgeous dress in the sale and was considering buying it, and hanging it where I can see it, as inspiration and motivation.
    Has anyone else done this?

I have bought something two sizes too small and tried it on to see how close I had gotten at the time-- to discover it actually fit :)
    I wouldn't get something 10 sizes smaller that will seem overwhelming. It is more likely to encourage you to quit.
  • MariaA1960
    MariaA1960 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wish this website had some sort of clothes exchange. I have so many clothes that are to big for me. Which would be perfect for someone that is losing weight so they don't have to buy all the inbetween sizes.

That would be a great idea! It would be tricky to organise, with the site having so many members from all over !! It could be done though.

I can't wait to recycle my plus size clothes.