Anyone know a good ab workout routine to get a six pack?

Options
I am a woman that has lost 60 lbs and I am down to 20% body fat but I want to really define my abs. I am looking for a program that tells me what exercises to do everyday and doesnt take more than 20 mins a day. I would love to hava an app on my phone or tablet to do this. I tried the runtastic free one but it doesnt seem very good. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I dont have what you are looking for but I looked at your before and after pics. Awesome job, you look like a completely different person, congrats.
  • coachpryor
    Options
    try sparkpeople.com

they have a lot of great videos for abs
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Abs are formed in the kitchen and by genetics.
  • missyont
    Options

Wrong...If you have low body fat you can definitely work out to get ripped abs... I'm pretty sure genetics don't give you 8 packs
  • missyont
    Options
    only shape is genetic
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Wrong...If you have low body fat you can definitely work out to get ripped abs... I'm pretty sure genetics don't give you 8 packs

I should have been more specific, but yes, lowering the body fat is what will give her abs, and since she is already working out (based on her pictures) getting abs comes from the kitchen...

And definition of abs is genetic as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

Wut? "Ripped" look is due to low body fat. So if body fat is already low, ab exercises aren't going to define them more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Wut? "Ripped" look is due to low body fat. So if body fat is already low, ab exercises aren't going to define them more.

IDEA Fitness member

I agree that low bf% is the key to revealing abs, but if one were to really work their abs while bulking (progressive loading, eating at a surplus), could one not increase their size? And then at a subsequent cut they could "pop" a little more easily?
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    only shape is genetic
    Genetics is everything! It determines where ur body stores its fat. If ur a person that doesn't store too much fat in ur mid section u can get abs at a higher bf%.
  • lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My body fat is about 19% which I consider pretty low. I can tell that my abs need. to be stronger because I find most ab excersizes quite difficult. The question of whether I can get a six pack or not wasn't really the point of my post. I guess my question should have been What is a good daily ab workout program that won't take me more than 20 mins a day?
  • robvangely
    Options
    There are a multitude of ab workouts but like any muscle group, Nutrition is key. Countless have success with a custom tailored nutrition program and pack on lean muscle fast and loose fat. The best program I have seen: Try: http://muscle-strength-forlife.com
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Big compound lifts and eat in a calorie deficit. All about getting a low bf%.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I agree that low bf% is the key to revealing abs, but if one were to really work their abs while bulking (progressive loading, eating at a surplus), could one not increase their size? And then at a subsequent cut they could "pop" a little more easily?

Yes you can increase the size which could make them show more. Genetics is a big part - especially the separation, but you can 'help' by increasing the size.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My body fat is about 19% which I consider pretty low. I can tell that my abs need. to be stronger because I find most ab excersizes quite difficult. The question of whether I can get a six pack or not wasn't really the point of my post. I guess my question should have been What is a good daily ab workout program that won't take me more than 20 mins a day?

Go to Youtube. Fitness Blender has a ton of 10 minute ab videos. That's a nice place to start.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats and heavy cable crunches performed 3 non-consecutive days per week like clockwork. Focus on progression.