My gym shoes smell so bad

Options
2»

Replies

• SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Any type of what runners refer to as "tech gear", which is shorts, shirts, socks, shoes, pads, or anything else that is made from material designed to wick away sweat / dry quickly has to be washed in special detergents and without any type of fabric softener. The reason for this is because if you wash them in regular detergent or use fabric softener it actually clogs the pores in the fabric which draw the sweat away from your body. When this happens the sweat that the shirt / shorts / shoes or whatever collected never actually leaves the gear and instead gets trapped inside of it. You are actually making it smell worse every time you wash it. That's why it can smell fine straight out of the wash, but if you put it on a few hours later it already smells like you've worked out in it for a week without washing it. You're just adding more funk to it with every wear / wash cycle. I've never used Sports Suds, but I use a product called No Sweat, which is pretty much the same thing. You just wash all of your workout stuff together in that and hang it to dry and you'll be amazed at the difference. Febreeze, like regular laundry soap, only clogs it up. It masks the smell for a few hours but only makes the problem worse over time.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Double posted for some reason.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    **thumbs up**