Getting Fit at 42

Options
Hello everyone!

Well....I've been struggling with my weight since my early 20's and I am now the heaviest I have ever been. I'm a mom to a wonderful 6 yr old boy and he deserves to not only have me around a long time, but also to have a mother who can keep up with him and run and play.

I've let myself go so long, I am stiff all the time, my joints hurt, my muscles feel as though they've atrophied from lack of use and in general, I feel like garbage. I'm tired of it. Also, I'm tired of ill fitting clothes and not being able to bend past my belly to put boots or sneakers on. I'm also a tad vain and while I believe women of all shapes and sizes are beautiful as they are, I don't like where I'm at right now. My primary goal is improve my health and feel better, but I want a slimmer silhouette as well. Curvy, but slimmer than I am now. :)

So with the help of a good friend, I'm embarking on a healthier lifestyle with clean eating and regular exercise. My goal is to lose 80-100 lbs. total but initally, I just want to get under 200.

Anyway, here I am and here I will stay until (and maybe long after) I've reached my goal.

Replies

• TheNextMrsBiao
    Options
    Same age, same size, same story, different continent lol! Feel free to add me if you like and good luck with the road ahead! :)
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Same age here, kind of different story. I actually was in decent shape off and on much of my adult life until I smacked my brain on a floor and was out of commission for about a year and a half. I felt like a fat, old man that was going to die of diabetes or something if I didn't get a grip on it (I kept eating like I used to when I was active. When I was cleared to exercise, I started with short, slow walks. I eventually started a "Couch to 5k" program and struggled through it to where I could finally run 5k in the end. I couldn't believe it! Now my typical run is a little over 5k and I have done up to 10k. I started tracking food a couple weeks ago and am shocked how much I ate. I've been keeping under my goal calories and above my goal activity and the weight is finally coming off.

IT FEELS GREAT!

We are behind you 1000%.
  • insanely_amy
    insanely_amy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate the support. :)

And so glad you came back from that head injury....yikes! Good on ya!
  • Bevvie2014
    Options
    Hey, I know exactly how you feel, add me if you like, we can be the over 40 ladies who are going to rock the scale, lol!
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me, I was 42 when I started, and I just turned 44 in October. I've been where you are now and you are making the best decision of your life!! You won't regret this!! :)