How come other people see results in one week?

Options
124»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You aren't in High School anymore. Your body is turning into a woman. Your body is growing still and changing. You should not be attempting to lose down to your HS weight ever again. Work on building some muscle, but be happy with 115-125 at your height.

this..

do we not teach girls about puberty anymore and how their bodies change?
  • karenowen60
    karenowen60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am glad this question was asked, because I have been working my butt off for a week, running, jogging, walking, playing sport & only eating my 1200 calories and all I see is the scales going up. I find it very disheartening that this is happening, but I guess because I too have only a few lbs to lose, it will take time.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to perhaps what I am doing wrong, that the scales are going up instead of down.

You're likely retaining water from all of that exercise. You should consider eating more though-- are you eating back your exercise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes I am eating back my calories, at most I use between 300 - 400 calories a day and I am on a 1200 calorie eating plan, so unless I only eat 400 calories a day, which is impossible, I guess I am always going to eat back my calories

I'm confused by your wording-- maybe because it's so late and my brain is fuzzy. Do you mean you are eating 1200 calories plus 300-400 more when you exercise?

At any rate, if you're logging accurately but you just started exercise it's almost certainly fluid retention, which you just have to wait out.

Sorry I'm new to all this exercise thing and the MFP, I am eating my 1200 calories which is inclusive of the 300 -400

In that case, eat more. You should be eating your 1200, PLUS whatever you burn off through exercise, so as to keep your deficit reasonable. Read the link I posted above. I'm putting it at the bottom of this post as well.

If you're using MFP's calorie burn estimate it may not be correct, so many people eat back half to start. Also make sure you're weighing your food with a food scale to ensure that you're eating the number of calories you think you are eating.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
    So with the MFP it tracks what you eat, drink etc and then subtracts the calories burned for that day, giving you that amount of calories extra to consume, which is what I am doing, is that the way it works.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    I am glad this question was asked, because I have been working my butt off for a week, running, jogging, walking, playing sport & only eating my 1200 calories and all I see is the scales going up. I find it very disheartening that this is happening, but I guess because I too have only a few lbs to lose, it will take time.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to perhaps what I am doing wrong, that the scales are going up instead of down.

You're likely retaining water from all of that exercise. You should consider eating more though-- are you eating back your exercise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes I am eating back my calories, at most I use between 300 - 400 calories a day and I am on a 1200 calorie eating plan, so unless I only eat 400 calories a day, which is impossible, I guess I am always going to eat back my calories

I'm confused by your wording-- maybe because it's so late and my brain is fuzzy. Do you mean you are eating 1200 calories plus 300-400 more when you exercise?

At any rate, if you're logging accurately but you just started exercise it's almost certainly fluid retention, which you just have to wait out.

Sorry I'm new to all this exercise thing and the MFP, I am eating my 1200 calories which is inclusive of the 300 -400
    That means you're only getting 800-900 calories a day to sustain your body's vital functions. You should be eating at least 1500-1600 a day if you're doing 300-400 worth of exercise.
    this math makes no sense. she's getting 1200 calories. if you're only deducting for exercise then why not also deduct for the amount of calories she's need to live, breathe, blink, type on the internet etc?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Different people do have different frame size. I'm small also with a very small bone structure.

When I want to trim up a bit, I eat at maintenance (or just barely below), and lift weights. I do not lose more than .5 pounds a week. I allow 6 months to see progress. I do The New Rules of Lifting for Life and Strong Curves. Fat2fit radio has a TDEE calculator. I'm 5'2" and weigh around 102, and I'm a lot older than you at age 35 (so my TDEE should be quite a bit lower than yours). To cut, I eat between 1800 to 1900. For maintenance I must eat more than 1900, or I will continue to lose. In college I was slim as I am now and I ate more like 2500, or even up to 3000 a day. But, I was a professional dancer and also worked at a fitness center. I'm only sharing my stats to show how much more a person can be eating at a small size. You should be trying to eat as much as you can, to keep up a good metabolism for life. You are already at an ideal weight.
  • karenowen60
    Options

That means you're only getting 800-900 calories a day to sustain your body's vital functions. You should be eating at least 1500-1600 a day if you're doing 300-400 worth of exercise.
    I am only new to MFP so not really sure of the correct technical wording etc. But I am tracking my daily food, drink, exercise etc and MFP is subtracting the amount of exercise calories I am burning and giving me that amount extra to consume. Is that correct
  • karenowen60
    Options

this math makes no sense. she's getting 1200 calories. if you're only deducting for exercise then why not also deduct for the amount of calories she's need to live, breathe, blink, type on the internet etc?

I am only new to MFP and not sure yet of the correct technical terms. Basically I am entering everything I eat, drink, exercise etc. MFP is then subtracting the calories I consume during exercise and giving them back to me to consume as extra calories. Is that correct, so if that's the case, I am eating my 1200 and then the calories I am burning.
  • karenowen60
    Options
    1. It looks like you don't have very much weight to lose. The closer you get to your goal weight, the longer it will (generally) take for the lbs to come off.
    2. Everybody is different.

If you are referring to my post, no I don't have very much to lose, but don't feel comfortable at the weight I am. I just want to make sure that I am doing the MFP program correctly.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

I am only new to MFP and not sure yet of the correct technical terms. Basically I am entering everything I eat, drink, exercise etc. MFP is then subtracting the calories I consume during exercise and giving them back to me to consume as extra calories. Is that correct, so if that's the case, I am eating my 1200 and then the calories I am burning.

exactly. if you set your activity level as sedentary and said you had a weight loss goal of 2 pounds a week then MFP more than likely gave you the base amount of 1200 calories to eat. then when you exercise and log it, MFP adds those as additional calories. you should be able to eat the 1200+eat the exercise calories and still make your weekly weight loss goal.

i think some people get tripped up when they have large calories burn (like over 500) and then think OMG i;m eating so much food i wont lose, but if you;re following the MFP way then you should be eating your exercise calories back, no matter if it's 100 or 1000 calories :smile:
  • karenowen60
    Options

exactly. if you set your activity level as sedentary and said you had a weight loss goal of 2 pounds a week then MFP more than likely gave you the base amount of 1200 calories to eat. then when you exercise and log it, MFP adds those as additional calories. you should be able to eat the 1200+eat the exercise calories and still make your weekly weight loss goal.

i think some people get tripped up when they have large calories burn (like over 500) and then think OMG i;m eating so much food i wont lose, but if you;re following the MFP way then you should be eating your exercise calories back, no matter if it's 100 or 1000 calories :smile:

Thanks for that. I am doing the correct thing then. I certainly didn't put a sedentary lifestyle as I exercise 30mins a day everyday and 3hrs of sport 2 days a week.
    You have, however cleared up the confusion for me and I guess I will just hang in there and wait for the results. At least I know I am on the right track.
    I was just getting a little frustrated as it has been a week now and the scales are just going up.

Thanks
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    1. It looks like you don't have very much weight to lose. The closer you get to your goal weight, the longer it will (generally) take for the lbs to come off.

If you are referring to my post, no I don't have very much to lose, but don't feel comfortable at the weight I am. I just want to make sure that I am doing the MFP program correctly.

No, I was explaining to the OP why (most likely) other people are seeing results their first week, and she isn't.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

They aren't referring to your post. You really just hijacked the original post with your issues. You really should start your OWN post because the person who started this one would probably like to not have to read your things to have answers for her. Make your own post - If you read the sticky posts in the Getting Started section they will answer all your questions.

To the OP - When you have only a little weight to lose the progress is very SLOW. If you see .5/lb per week that will be a lot. I barely see that with 30+ lbs to go. Read some of the posts that were linked earlier, they will help.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    You aren't in High School anymore. Your body is turning into a woman. Your body is growing still and changing. You should not be attempting to lose down to your HS weight ever again. Work on building some muscle, but be happy with 115-125 at your height.

this..

do we not teach girls about puberty anymore and how their bodies change?

And that it happens over years and not just all at once when they get their period?

Apparently they're not getting the message. It seems many, many girls think that they should weigh what they weighed when they were in high school. I guess that's when they thought they really were "all growed up."
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm 5'2 and 117 pounds. I feel your frustration and I am experiencing the same thing. I am also not comfortable at this weight and would like to drop a few pounds back to what I was a few years ago. I am just going to keep trying...btw I have a thyroid problem and type 1 diabetes which may be stalling me.

Read comments left for the OP who is the same weight. You have no weight to lose.

Lol. Sure they do. 5 to 10 would put them at optimum, IMO. America has a very distorted sense of what is healthy and ideal. We're kind of messed up, in that regard. We're a fat people in the eyes of the world.
    Huh? 5'2 and 115 pounds is a BMI of 21, which is actually considered "optimum," health risks wise. Losing 5-10 pounds would put them right at the bottom limit, or underweight, which increases health risks.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Thanks for that. I am doing the correct thing then. I certainly didn't put a sedentary lifestyle as I exercise 30mins a day everyday and 3hrs of sport 2 days a week.
    You have, however cleared up the confusion for me and I guess I will just hang in there and wait for the results. At least I know I am on the right track.
    I was just getting a little frustrated as it has been a week now and the scales are just going up.

Thanks

I guess I'm confused by you talking about subtracting calories for exercise.

So if you burn 400, you are eating 1600 that day, yes? That's what you should be doing.

And also I agree with the person saying that you should start your own topic, it's good forum etiquette not to just add your question onto someone else's discussion.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm 5'2 and 117 pounds. I feel your frustration and I am experiencing the same thing. I am also not comfortable at this weight and would like to drop a few pounds back to what I was a few years ago. I am just going to keep trying...btw I have a thyroid problem and type 1 diabetes which may be stalling me.

Read comments left for the OP who is the same weight. You have no weight to lose.

Lol. Sure they do. 5 to 10 would put them at optimum, IMO. America has a very distorted sense of what is healthy and ideal. We're kind of messed up, in that regard. We're a fat people in the eyes of the world.

Seriously? Are you looking at a different profile pic than the rest of us?

I'm looking at yours.

Excuse me? Was that a poorly veiled insult about my weight? Are you really going to go there?

The profile pic I was referring to, was of a 25 yo woman, 5'2" 117lbs, with a fantastic slim body. If you are considering HER to be fat, then you are part of the problem with young women and eating disorders today.

Yes, as a society as a whole, we are overweight, myself included as you so pointed out.

But you cannot look at a grown woman who is obviously at a perfect weight for her height and frame, and say that she needs to lose 5-10 pounds, because you apparently prefer the bodies of 12 yo girls.

ETA, to clarify, some women DO weigh less than this and it is appropriate for their frame-size, Binarypulse for example. But not everyone who is 5'2" should weigh that. It depends on your frame size and body composition.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm looking at yours.

Excuse me? Was that a poorly veiled insult about my weight? Are you really going to go there?

The profile pic I was referring to, was of a 25 yo woman, 5'2" 117lbs, with a fantastic slim body. If you are considering HER to be fat, then you are part of the problem with young women and eating disorders today.

Yes, as a society as a whole, we are overweight, myself included as you so pointed out.

But you cannot look at a grown woman who is obviously at a perfect weight for her height and frame, and say that she needs to lose 5-10 pounds, because you apparently prefer the bodies of 12 yo girls.

ETA, to clarify, some women DO weigh less than this and it is appropriate for their frame-size, Binarypulse for example. But not everyone who is 5'2" should weigh that. It depends on your frame size and body composition.

I could not agree more DebbieLyn63 :drinker:

I'm 5'2 and would have to lose LBM to be 107lb or be at a very dangerous body fat % :noway:

IMO - your comments on the optimum weight for short women are stupid and dangerous , yes some women could be 107lbs and be healthy - but just as many would be underweight and look sickly. Your "optimum weight" does not take into account LBM or body frame - one size doe not fit all. Until you understand this maybe you should stop giving women advice based on your opinion.

Oh and snide subtle insults are still insults. :noway:
  • Michigander1956
    Michigander1956 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How much do you think you want to lose? 115 is a very good weight for 5ft 2 isn't it ? Are you drinking water? Are you doing any walking ? If you drink sugary drinks eliminate those maybe that will work. Good luck!
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm looking at yours.

Dude you should NOT be talking.