Just saying...

Options
Today was...
Today as I was reviewing the posts I noticed that some people made comments that, I'm sure, they thought were innocent enought but, to some, like me, who are literal beings, those three little words were sort of disappointing. "Just do it!" It made it sound like this person felt that struggling with eating right shouldn't be a struggle at all. It made it sound like my struggle was less than, you know what I mean?
I heard, "Just shut up and do it! What are you whining about?" Well, we all have our days where we have a little whine with our cheese and then we have those days where we feel on top of the world. To me, both of these kinds of days are very important in my journey to eat healthy. I learn from every single struggle that what my body needs may not be what my mind is saying I should "just eat".
So, to sum it up, today was...eye opening for me. The words that I write here that are meant to support and uplift my fellow MFP'ers MEAN SOMETHING. EVERY WORD. Words are powerful. Let's try to be more mindful of how we use them. We are ALL here for the same reasons. Let us not forget that. Let us be a rock to one another and not throw that rock at someone. THAT HURTS!!!

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are motivated by Tough Love and being told to "just do it" is interpreted as doing what you need to do despite feeling otherwise.

But I do agree that sometimes words can be more carefully chosen.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    'Just do it' is legitimate advice for me much of the time, and those Nike ads really resonated with me :) So the person might have felt that it was a motivating thing to say, definitely!

The emotional part of the struggle can take different routes and need different motivators, so it depends so much on the individual and their type of problem. That's so hard to know about a poster.

I'm good with whine and cheese, though. Go on and vent. It gets it out for a lot of folks :) For others, it's not a good habit. Even my military dad lets me whine about my back pain when I need to huff and puff about it (for therapeutic reasons, naturally), so that's saying something, lol!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am not here to make everything gummy bears and rainbow drops, sorry. I will give people advice and point them in the right direction but if people keep posting idiocy then some of us will let them know …

Additionally, if people keep asking the same thing differently over and over, then they are going to catch some flack. It is really annoying when people have had success give advice and then are ignored or told, in the same thread, that they are wrong or do not know what they are talking about. When I first joined, when people that had reached goals that I aspired to said something, I listened, took it in, and either adapted it or did not…

and we are not al hear for the same goals…some people want to lose weight, some people are recomping, some people are bulking..some people do heavy cardio…other people do heavy lifting….just saying...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sometimes people overanalyze things too much and make it overly complicated. sometimes this is just a way to procrastinate starting what needs to be started.

sometimes people need to be told to just do it. stop thinking about doing it and just

do-it.png
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I whine and make excuses and it's all so hard, I just need to be told "Just do it". Because it CAN really be that simple.

Supportive is great, enabling not so much.
  • keep_striving
    Options
    That was a great post! I struggle sometimes with thinking too much about eating for weight loss, when I should eat for health, have a healthy lifestyle. I KNOW this and I don't believe in diets but for some reason my mind keeps worrying about weight loss. Guess I feel pressure. Anyway, I understand what you're talking about in your post and I agree. Some people just can't see how their words will affect others. I just wrote a post too,if you want to take a look.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    While many times things can be said in kinder, gentler ways, the truth is that "just do it" is the answer. I've been at this for 750-some odd days. Nearly all of them are a struggle in one way or another. But the answer is always "just do it" (or don't as the case may be). I don't want to go for a run-just do it. I don't want to eat something healthy-just do it. I want cake-just don't do it. Someone brought cookies to the office-just don't do it. My husband is eating oreos next to me-punch him in the face and just don't do it. Some days I make the right choices, some days I don't. But the answer is always to just do it. I don't like it either-but it's the truth. No one else can make choices for me. No one else can exercise for me. It's not that we don't struggle-look at my diary if you want. I'm all over the place lately. Why? Because it's still a struggle. Every day. And the answer is to just do it. And sometimes, I just don't.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    We are ALL here for the same reasons. Let us not forget that. Let us be a rock to one another and not throw that rock at someone. THAT HURTS!!!

Uh, not everyone is here for the same reason.

Also...

i_wanna_rock.gif
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I am not here to make everything gummy bears and rainbow drops, sorry. I will give people advice and point them in the right direction but if people keep posting idiocy then some of us will let them know …

Additionally, if people keep asking the same thing differently over and over, then they are going to catch some flack. It is really annoying when people have had success give advice and then are ignored or told, in the same thread, that they are wrong or do not know what they are talking about. When I first joined, when people that had reached goals that I aspired to said something, I listened, took it in, and either adapted it or did not…

and we are not al hear for the same goals…some people want to lose weight, some people are recomping, some people are bulking..some people do heavy cardio…other people do heavy lifting….just saying...

All this.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Today was...
    Today as I was reviewing the posts I noticed that some people made comments that, I'm sure, they thought were innocent enought but, to some, like me, who are literal beings, those three little words were sort of disappointing. "Just do it!" It made it sound like this person felt that struggling with eating right shouldn't be a struggle at all. It made it sound like my struggle was less than, you know what I mean?
    I heard, "Just shut up and do it! What are you whining about?" Well, we all have our days where we have a little whine with our cheese and then we have those days where we feel on top of the world. To me, both of these kinds of days are very important in my journey to eat healthy. I learn from every single struggle that what my body needs may not be what my mind is saying I should "just eat".
    So, to sum it up, today was...eye opening for me. The words that I write here that are meant to support and uplift my fellow MFP'ers MEAN SOMETHING. EVERY WORD. Words are powerful. Let's try to be more mindful of how we use them. We are ALL here for the same reasons. Let us not forget that. Let us be a rock to one another and not throw that rock at someone. THAT HURTS!!!

You might find it really uplifting (seriously) to google some of those old Nike ads. The entire "Just Do It" campaign was designed to move Nike from being a "shoes for elite athletes" company to the Nike of today - one that makes shoes for everyone: athlete to aspiring couch potato. The ads show that no matter what your challenges or current limitations, you CAN do it.

So take your rest day. Have your down day. Find the kinds of images and words that work for you when you're down. And know that you're gonna feel better, and you're gonna lace up those shoes, and get back out there again to JUST DO IT. (even if "it" is being on your feet for a 10-hour shift).

I realize understanding the phrase requires some cultural context, and in this case, the context is worth looking up. Hope your day did, too!
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. i hope noone has found my posts hurtful.. i do tend to try to motivate people.. i have learned alot on my journey and yes in march when i gained up to 220 pounds after trying to deal with my dads death.. my gf told me to get my head out of the sand and cut the crap and i did and im now 165.. so sometimes.. i do give tough love. because i feel its needed.

i created a group for motivation support and accountability .its growing.. i can be supportive but if someone is doing crap over and over that's holding them back from their goals.. im going to call them out on it. i would hope someone would do the same for me here.