Can you transport meat?

Options
I got a bit of a problem. I got a new job in another city. I need to move, sell house, pack up. etc. I have a lot of high quality meat in my freezer. Like ribeye steaks, duck confit, pork chops, etc, all grass fed, free range, etc. very high quality stuff and very pricey.

Anybody ever faced this problem?

If there is no solution, I will be okay with giving it away. Just want to know if anyone has ever faced this and what they did.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Find somewhere (usually big butchers etc) who can supply you with dry ice pellets and pack it into big coolers or styrofoam boxes with the pellets. The dry ice will keep it frozen for up to 2-3 days, though of course keeping it in the freezer til the last minute and putting it straight back as soon as the freezer is unloaded is for the best.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    when i was in college a friend of mine's mom would ship her meat and fish that was frozen. she'd pack in dry ice and send it 2nd day.

if you can't do that you should just have a big going away party
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had friends that moved inter island (New Zealand) and their removal company simply uplifted their freezer full of meat, plugged the freezer in to the truck and it arrived a couple of days later with no problem.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I think what I'm going to do is give a lot of the stuff away. Don't want to risk the spoilage. Got some real superb neighbours whom I will miss, would love for them to have it. Oh yeah, and a big going away party....teehee.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You can send some to me, it sounds delicious!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,919 Member
    Options
    Styrofoam and dry ice.
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You can send some to me, it sounds delicious!

I second this! lol