kids and exercise??

Options
xojox
xojox Posts: 187 Member
ok here is your chance to give me a really big helping hand!!

how do you exercise when the kids are home from school? I have 3 boys aged 12, 7 and 2.

Sounds easy right!? However my youngest has some developement issues and has to be constantly watched so if i take them to a field with a ball i end up just trying to stop him running out onto the road or trying to stop him walking into peoples gardens on the walk to the field!! then he won't actually leave when its time to go home :sad:

I don't have anyone to come with me, and i end up feeling guilty for neglecting the 7 yr old who would be quite happy playing in the garden with me watching him, where his brother is safe so he can have some of my attention.

So what do i do?? my hubby doesn't get home until 7.45pm and i only have a little time with him before i'm ready for bed!!

Please help :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• boomstick13s
    Options
    if you're youngest can still fit safely in a stroller (my 2yr old can't, too dang tall) you can always bring him along for walking/jogging. some gyms also offer childcare, but not many. best of luck!
  • smilingslatka
    Options
    I do my exercises after my little one goes to bed, usually at 9-10 pm or sometimes when she has a nap.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I see you are in Washington, so will the older boys be going back to school in a few weeks or do you home school? If they will still be home, you could try getting up before them. Can you put the 2 year old in a stroller and go for a walk? Can the 12 yr old watch the 2 yr old for a bit? I know my 2 older kids were 10 and 11 when my youngest was born and they would help out for a few bucks or an extra privilege.

Just some ideas. Good luck!
  • smilingslatka
    Options
    if you're youngest can still fit safely in a stroller (my 2yr old can't, too dang tall) you can always bring him along for walking/jogging. some gyms also offer childcare, but not many. best of luck!
    good advice! I often go for walk with my daughter or take her swimming with me.
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I get up super early (99% of the time) and I work out before my kids wake up. I have 3 as well, but mine are 4, 3, and 8 months. So I'm usually up at 5 am to work out for about 45 minutes, then I shower and get dressed before they get up for the day. Except today...lol. Today my mom is taking my oldest two out for a couple hours, so I get to work out when they're gone.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I used to make mine sit on the couch while I did my exercise tapes when they were little. They could pitch any kind of fit they wanted to but they had to stay on the couch or face a very angry Mommy.

Later, I joined the YMCA and they had a nursery where you could check your kids in for up to 3 HOURS!!! (not that I did, but I was tempted.) That was really nice.
  • beka2699
    beka2699 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have gotten up before my kids and husband and worked out then came back in to wake them up for school, it worked out great for me. :bigsmile:
  • xojox
    Options
    I see you are in Washington, so will the older boys be going back to school in a few weeks or do you home school? If they will still be home, you could try getting up before them. Can you put the 2 year old in a stroller and go for a walk? Can the 12 yr old watch the 2 yr old for a bit? I know my 2 older kids were 10 and 11 when my youngest was born and they would help out for a few bucks or an extra privilege.

Just some ideas. Good luck!

its actually south wales, GB, and yes my kids do go back to school nxt week lol x

And for those who mentioned the stroller - he won't sit in it, i've actually strapped him in two ways and he still managed to climb out :cry: its exhausting

I have been trying to exercise late in the eve so i can get something in!!

My 12yr old would love to help but because of the 2yr olds issues he finds him a bit hard to manage xx

Thanks for the tips, but i think its gonna have to be early mornings or late nites for a while xx
  • ljmcquade
    ljmcquade Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My partner does bath time with our daughter and I get 30mins wii fit while they're busy.
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have 3 babies as well (13, 9, and 2) and honestly, being a stay-at-home-Mommy with a hubby that works a million hours a week, trying to workout with my kids just ends up being stressful and grates my nerves (horrible, I know~ just being honest). I need a break, not being a Mommy, Wife, cook and housekeeper... Time to work on ME!! So, I get up 1 1/2 - 2 hours before the rest of the household. I awake around 3:50 and I am out of the house by 4am. Even on school days I can walk, jog, bike, strength train (I have a BowFlex and Nautilus plate machine) or roller blade (my new cardio) until atleast 5:30 when it is time to wake up my older two to get ready for school. It's Wonderful, it gets me going for the day and it's the best natural Prozac in the World so I can be the Mommy I want to be.. and not the mean, grumpy witch my kids got stuck with. Wishing lots of luck!! Cindy
  • lalouli
    lalouli Posts: 41
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I luckily found a high school track right next to a playground with tennis courts. My kids are 7. They bring toys, balls, scooters, etc. and I can see them while I jog and they play. I also get up before them and jog around our complex. It's beautiful here and plenty big enough if I wind through all the paths. I leave them the phone and run by every 3 or 4 minutes to make sure all is well. Good Luck!
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You are probably burning quite a few calories just wrestling the kids!! lol
  • xojox
    Options
    You are probably burning quite a few calories just wrestling the kids!! lol

lol it certainly feels that way by 8pm x
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Does your 2 year old take a nap? Or will he sit and watch a movie? Maybe you can get active with him, and wear him out as well! My 4 year old loves music so I crank it up and we dance around, jumping jacks, running in place...whatever gets you sweating...and he does it with me. It's something your 7 year old can join in on too! Anything is better than nothing!