Lifting weights while losing weight

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
I am losing weight now and I want to lift weights but I'm not sure if I should do strong lifts since I will be eating at a deficit... I used to lift weights a couple years ago but I was trying to maintain my weight so I could eat at maintenance or slightly more. (yes I gained my weight back don't judge me). any tips? Is there a better program to do while losing?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how big is your deficit and what is your priority.

2 years ago when i was first using MFP i lost around 30 pounds in 8 months and kept a fairly low deficit because i really wanted to work on strength gains. that worked pretty well in terms of being able to get through the workouts and recover and lose some fat in the process.

NOW my priority is to lose all the damn weight :laugh: so my calorie deficit is high enough that i should be losing 2 pounds a week. that combined with my other fitness goals means that i'm not eating enough to do 3 dedicated strength sessions per week AND train for 10Ks. based on the research i've done, in order to preserve muscle mass i should be fine with 1 dedicated strength building session a week. the other 2 resistance training days i do weighted complex style workouts with things like KB swings, KB snatches, assisted pullups, turkish get ups pushups and lat pulldowns.

so basically you can do a program like SL while losing, but how much time you invest in it might largely be determined with aggressive you are with your calorie deficit
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You want to lift fairly aggressively to maintain your muscle while you lose fat. Do whatever program you are comfortable with but lift as much weight as you comfortably can without losing proper form.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    stronglifts works excellently for people losing weight. start lifting
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

/thread
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    skinny-fat-butt-300x225.jpg

hot_weird_funny_amazing_cool8_a-women-bodybuilder-trainwreck-16_2009073023323611542.jpg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yup. Any reasonable program will do really but SL is a good and popular starting point for a lot of people. AllPro and SS are also good and common.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    allpros beginners program supposedly is better when on a deficit, you might check that out.
    Mike