Lifting (females) for beginners?

Options
I am interested in weight training/lifting but I know nothing about it? My gym has all of these machines and I usually do 3 sets on each machine (takes me about half an hour to get through all of them). Are there routines that people do?
If it helps I am 5'2, around 130 lbs and want to get leaner and more toned.

Replies

• PinkGemini612
    PinkGemini612 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm looking more into this as well. I think I'm gong to pull a few things from P90X.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Check out the new rules of lifting for women (book) starting strength (book) stronglifts 5x5 (internet) or jamie easons live fitness (internet) these are all beginners routines and I'm pretty sure they all got groups on here with more information so you can find what looks best for you.

Or you could hire a personal trainer for a couple of sessions to give you a personalised plan and check your form if you are to worried you will do it wrong. I personally did the new rules and loved it!!! You can check out lots of youtube videos for good form and ask one of the trainers in your gym to double check.

ETA: You might also want to have another look on your calories and macros to make sure you get the most out of all the training.
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    My daughter has a squat rack at home with an Olympic bar and various weights. I can't even lift the bar! :blushing:

Any advice on exercises that I can do to get me started to the point where I can at least start to lift!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! :flowerforyou:
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a squat rack at home with an Olympic bar and various weights. I can't even lift the bar! :blushing:

Any advice on exercises that I can do to get me started to the point where I can at least start to lift!!!

you can start using dumbbells or just the plates. Unfortunately I don't really know a routine or how to properly modify the lifts for this. But a quick google search (or forum search) should give you an answer
  • jongskinner
    Options
    Your goals are sensible - you're not trying to be an olympic athlete or bodybuilder...

Presuming you will maintain nutrition / calorie control through myfitnesspal (factoring in calories burned from exercise too) I suggest the following things:
    - You ensure you are eating at least the recommended protein if not more
    - You do 3x per week full body strength training circuit of 20-30 minutes of 6 exercises 3 sets each 10-16 reps so that the last rep is tough or even impossible for each exercise (with dynamic warm up before and static stretching after) - see below for futher tips / help on doing this

BuiltLean.com has a great free guide which helps set up the routine / shows the kind of sheet you can use and there are great videos on good form etc. I set out the key points below.

Hope this helps.

Jon

1. Dumbbells are usually better than machines or barbells. Start with something comfortable to establish the routine - then add weight. Machines are really for body builders because they narrowly isolate individual muscles meaning you need more exercises to cover the whole body. Free weights are better because exercises are naturally compound covering more muscles and also work the stabilizing muscles too. Barbells require a lot of set up / adjustment time. Dumbbells are therefore easier for most people. Does your gym have them - it would help you a lot?

2. What does "full body" mean? One workout covers lower body, both back and front of upper body as well as core and covering different types of functional motion. This can be achieved if you factor into the 6 exercises at least one push, pull, squat, lunge, twist. Examples of each are:
    Push = Push ups / bench presses / shoulder presses
    Pull = Pull ups / Two arm bent over rows
    Squat = Squat (various types) / Deadlift
    Lunge = Lunge (various types)
    Twist = Cycle crunch / one arm bent over rows

3. Adjust the weight to be appropriately challenging. Start with comfortable weights to get the routine established (maybe for one week). Once comfortable with the routine you increase the weights so that the last set of each exercise is tough to complete or you are unable to complete the last rep (maybe will take another week for this to settle down). Periodically add further weight as you get stronger.

4. Limit rest between sets to increase cardio benefit. It helps intensity and therefore cardio benefits if you limit rest between sets to 30-45 seconds (using the second clock in the gym or a smartphone timer).

5. Make a list to follow as you work out. You can create a simple spreadsheet with exercise, weight, number of reps to help you follow the routine if you like. There's an example in the free stuff Builtlean.com sends you when you register (they don't bug you to buy paid stuff).
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    very good info! i don't know why but for me if i am not following a dvd i am so lost in knowing what to do, when to do it and what to do....
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

When I first started, I did compound lifts with no weights to learn form and then looked up how to add dumbbells to them until I could use the bar without killing my form. Lifting the bar was definitely a challenge at first, but you'll be surprised how quickly you progress.

I actually really like the beginner full body program in the book Strong Curves because the author starts you off with just body weight and has you progress to dumbbells and then the bar as you get stronger. The book is geared toward the glutes (that's the author's thing), but the program is a full-boy one, and it includes the main compound lifts. I'm using it to help get some of my strength back after an injury and sloth left me pretty weak again, and I've enjoyed it. I liked it enough that I'm planning to do the advanced program in the future.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Check out the new rules of lifting for women (book) starting strength (book) stronglifts 5x5 (internet) or jamie easons live fitness (internet) these are all beginners routines and I'm pretty sure they all got groups on here with more information so you can find what looks best for you.

Or you could hire a personal trainer for a couple of sessions to give you a personalised plan and check your form if you are to worried you will do it wrong. I personally did the new rules and loved it!!! You can check out lots of youtube videos for good form and ask one of the trainers in your gym to double check.

ETA: You might also want to have another look on your calories and macros to make sure you get the most out of all the training.

Seconding the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, as well as hiring a trainer at the gym to help you get started if you are a little wary of the equipment on the "heavy" side of the weight room.

Once you start, you'll also learn a lot just from watching others.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • bojameson
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and there are a lot of similarities between p90x and what most trainers do. Having done both right now i can tell you that having a system is the best way to get the results you want. typical schedule is: Triceps, chest and shoulders (1 day off from lifting) back and biceps (1 day off from lifting) legs and butt and repeat. you should lift to the point that you can't lift anymore, meaning your muscle is exhausted. so make sure the weight is pretty heavy. the more lean muscle you have the easier it is to keep extra weight off and stay strong. you can do abs every day because the recovery time for this muscle is much shorter than the other groups.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5