Log before or after you eat?

Options
124»

Replies

• LaBelleGigi
    Options
    I tend to log post-consumption, because I never know if I'm going to end up leaving anything. This is especially true about eating out. Plus, I have several items I repeat frequently for breakfast or snacks (I rarely eat lunch) so I just grab one or two and add them in.

I do find that the act of logging what I eat has been very helpful in keeping my calorie intake at or below what MFP says I can have. Especially if we stop at Taco Bell when out with friends, some of their specials aren't too bad if I skip the chips and guacamole.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I log when it's convenient, which is generally after I eat. Any late in the evening treats are usually pre-logged after dinner, though, just to make sure they fit. I have a general idea in my head of how many calories I'm consuming throughout the day, so it's no problem to log later without ending up over my limit.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I pre-log days, but I try to be as flexible as humanly possible when I'm out and about with people. Sometimes I don't make it home for dinner, so my pre-planned dinner gets deleted and I figure out something else. Fortunately, a Panera opened up just a block away from where I live, and they have calorie counts for everything as well as reasonably healthful options, so I'll suggest that as an option if people want to have dinner out somewhere. If people want takeaway, I just do my best. Try to make a decent choice/portion control, or write it off and do better the next day. College life...

And sometimes being flexible is just for me. I planned my snacks as PB pretzels and beef jerky, but there was a raspberry linzer bar STARING at me. So I exchanged and still kept my calories where they needed to be. Not so much my protein, but... You know what? I'll do better tomorrow.

But it's always logged before it goes into my mouth. Always. Even if that means gesturing five people past me at Panera or Starbucks while I stand there with my phone out!
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Always before. Unless I don't know everything I am going to be eating that day.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    after