Just registered for my first 5k

Options
jrich1
jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
Well its official now.. I just registed for my first 5K run on Nov 6th 2010! Doing the Salute American Heroes 1M, 5K and 10K in The Colony!
I am hoping just to finish :)

Replies

• literarylin
    Options
    Good for you! I registered for my first 5K run... race day is Sept. 12 in support of suicide prevention
  • jrich1
    Options
    Now if the dang heat would break so I can train!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Do not let the heat be an excuse. Train slower and just finish your scheduled session. Training in adverse conditions is excellent for the mental aspect of any endurance activity. Sounds harsh but it's true. :ohwell:

I did 30 min run intervals in the crazy heat/humidity last night. After my 2nd interval, that little guy :devil: on my shoulder was telling me to quick, until I punched him in the nose & kept going.

I was soaked in sweat afterward, but it felt that much rewarding knowing I finished what I started in these conditions. Make sure you bring lots of water. :smile:
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congrats on registering for your 5k. First races are so much fun and memorable.

I just signed up last night for my first 5k with my 12 year old daughter. I'm so excited that she wants to participate. This will be my first ever 5k and my first run after my injury and her first race. We are doing the Army Run 5 km September 19.

Remember your goal is to have fun and finish upright and smiling.

Karen
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm planning to do my first one at the end of October. To raise money for the parks in my town.
  • jrich1
    Options
    Do not let the heat be an excuse. Train slower and just finish your scheduled session. Training in adverse conditions is excellent for the mental aspect of any endurance activity. Sounds harsh but it's true. :ohwell:

I did 30 min run intervals in the crazy heat/humidity last night. After my 2nd interval, that little guy :devil: on my shoulder was telling me to quick, until I punched him in the nose & kept going.

I was soaked in sweat afterward, but it felt that much rewarding knowing I finished what I started in these conditions. Make sure you bring lots of water. :smile:
    I went running last week, it was 95 out at 7:30 and I did between 1.5 and 1.75 miles run/walk before I about passed out :) In Nov it will be cooler. I still do running inside on a treadmill, but have been going out a couple times in the evening.
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    WOO HOO -- congrats! You won't regret it! I just did my first race 10k over the weekend. Loved it!!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I just downloaded an C25k app today and can't wait to get started! I have signed up for 2 5k walks, one on Sept 26 and one on Oct 2. I am really excited as I am getting my fiance and his daughter involved as well. I know I won't be able to run these, so I am hoping to be able to run a 5k just as soon as I finish the C25k program!

Keep us posted on your progress!!
  • copyqueen1964
    copyqueen1964 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to YOU!!...