Oatmeal spruced up

Options
mizyvee
mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
I don't know if this has been posted before:

For those of you who hate plain oatmeal and go after that super sugar charged flavored stuff. Try getting the plain oatmeal and add a 1-2 tablespoons of sugar free or fat free flavored liquid coffee creamer. It gives it great flavor without all the sugar of the flavored oatmeal packets.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I add a little peanut butter and cinammon to mine and make it with milk or light vanilla soy milk. Yum!

Actually, I've been eating oat bran instead of oatmeal (made the same way). I like it better.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing, sounds like a great idea
  • mizyvee
    mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I add a little peanut butter and cinammon to mine and make it with milk or light vanilla soy milk. Yum!

Actually, I've been eating oat bran instead of oatmeal (made the same way). I like it better.

I haven't tried oat bran yet I will be trying that soon, thanks
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    i mix loads of fruit in with mine - fresh fruit chopped up or dried or sprinkle with some form of nuts for a little crunch = yum!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I came across this info that you may find interesting:
    Oat Bran Vs Oatmeal: Nutrition
    Although both oat bran and oatmeal bear semblance to one another in terms of their health benefits, oat bran is slightly superior than oatmeal nutritionally. It is higher in fiber, iron and protein content and also contains slightly more calorie and fat content. While the fiber in oat bran is double of that in oatmeal, the protein content is slightly less than double. Iron content is slightly more than double in oat bran. Thus, nutritionally speaking, oat bran is better than oatmeal.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I haven't tried oat bran yet I will be trying that soon, thanks

I use 1 cup of milk to 1/4 cup oat bran and then stir it regularly so it doesn't burn, basically the same as you would make oatmeal. I don't think it's necessarily better nutritionally, but I like the taste better. And a tiny bit of brown sugar is also good in it for not a lot of calories (but not necessary).

EDIT: I see someone answered that question! lol Anyway, it's 60 calories for the 1/4 cup. 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soy milk is also 60 calories, so if you add nothing to it, it's 120 calories.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I eat oats on days I work (since I work 9 hour days and don't really get a break) I like mine with 2 T flax seed meal, 1 T heavy cream 2 tsp brown sugar, and a pinch of cinnamon.

some days I add 1 T of my homemade jam!

Old fashioned oats are deffinitly underrated!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every morning when I'm at work. I always use 2-3 of the Land o lakes mini moos (individual coffee creamers -- 10 cals each!) and add a little bit of cinnamon sugar to mine.

I read, but have not yet tried, that adding a bit of canned pumpkin mix (as well as a tad of all spice or pumpkin spice) added more fiber. Sounds yummy!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I gave up all sugar and sugar substitutes so add 1/4 c of fresh or frozen blueberries and a dash of cinnamon instead . . . raspberries are awsome as well.
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with chocolate protein powder and berries make my day. :flowerforyou:
  • schoen185
    Options
    oatmeal with a little sugar free maple syrup is one of my favorite desserts!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I toss in a bit of Crasins and Sliced Almonds with 1 Tbs of brown sugar.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I mix my oatmeal with unsweetended applesauce and cinnamin
  • saj4071
    saj4071 Posts: 8
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the tip!!:wink:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with chocolate protein powder and berries make my day. :flowerforyou:

Looooove oatmeal w/ my chocolate Shakeology, natural crunchy PB, and blueberries!! Yum yum!