I am new here but not new to trying to lose weight!

Options
pmd14
pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
Hello I am Pattie. I am 50 years old and 230 pounds. I have been overweight all my life but this is my heaviest. I always was a few pounds over but after my children entered school I just kept putting the weight on and never took it off. I stopped walking and had to take the car every where because I was always in a hurry. The last 20 years are a blur. So much activity and stress and 100 pounds of fat! I am not a yoyo dieter since I never lost the weight. I try but it never seems to come off. I quit my job in september and feel so good about NO MORE STRESS!!!! and have tried to focus on me. I have been walking (now I am up to 5 miles 4 times a week) and some weight exercises for my arms plus leg and abs exercise 3 times a week. I just can't seem to lose the weight! I went to the doctor and my blood pressure, cholesterol, sugar etc. and all great but the scale still says 230. My doctor says the exercise is not enough I have to really restrict my diet. To be honest to everyone I don't want to. There I said it. I love food. Not sweets but FOOD. My portions are large. So I am going to try. I think this site might help with its food diary. I hope so. Good luck to everyone and will keep you posted on my progress.

Replies

• pmd14
    Options
    Hello I am Pattie. I am 50 years old and 230 pounds. I have been overweight all my life but this is my heaviest. I always was a few pounds over but after my children entered school I just kept putting the weight on and never took it off. I stopped walking and had to take the car every where because I was always in a hurry. The last 20 years are a blur. So much activity and stress and 100 pounds of fat! I am not a yoyo dieter since I never lost the weight. I try but it never seems to come off. I quit my job in september and feel so good about NO MORE STRESS!!!! and have tried to focus on me. I have been walking (now I am up to 5 miles 4 times a week) and some weight exercises for my arms plus leg and abs exercise 3 times a week. I just can't seem to lose the weight! I went to the doctor and my blood pressure, cholesterol, sugar etc. and all great but the scale still says 230. My doctor says the exercise is not enough I have to really restrict my diet. To be honest to everyone I don't want to. There I said it. I love food. Not sweets but FOOD. My portions are large. So I am going to try. I think this site might help with its food diary. I hope so. Good luck to everyone and will keep you posted on my progress.
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    welcome!!!! and good luck to you!!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    welcome and good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was in the same position as you not too long ago. I actually trained for and ran a marathon last year and didn't lose a pound--even gained a pound or two. Maybe simply exercising works for some people, but not for the rest of us. Eat the calories the website recommends (including exercise calories!) and you will see results. It's working for me--I've lost 21 pounds since Jan. 1 and have 9 more to go.

The support is awesome here--take advantage of it and all the other tools MFP has to offer! Good luck!
  • Dropka
    Dropka Posts: 72
    Options
    I love food. I would eat all day everyday if I could. But it's hurting me. And I love myself more than I love food (only by a little bit though, haha) When I joined this site I realized how much I ate. Maybe it's not the stuff you eat but try limiting the amount you eat. That way you still get the WONDERFUL food, that tastes so good, but not quite the same amount, which will, in the end, help your calorie count a lot. Just stop eating when you feel full. GOOD LUCK!
  • debbz40
    debbz40 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome!
    I too LOVE food. I am part Italian and always felt that meant I was born to eat. Now I know that if I don't change the way I eat, I am doomed to an early grave. I workout at the Y at least 4 days a week.
    I am not on any particular "diet". Since I joined MFP, I just count calories. Trust me, it makes you stop and see what you are eating. This helps me make better choices because now I have to be held accountable for what I eat. I still allow myself some of my favorite foods, just not as much or find a way to make them healthier.
    Good luck on your journey!
    Debbie
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    There are so many ways to make the food you eat palatable without tons of calories; take chicken for an example, just by itself it isn't anything special; but if you saute it in a little olive oil with fresh garlic and red bell peppers, it is wonderful!

I am currently trying an effervescent drink with fiber in it beforehand to curb the cravings and help me feel full and it appears to be working. Some on here may not agree with the concept, but I know the feeling of desperation that makes one want to try anything. You may also be in perimenopause which can slow down your metabolism too, as your estrogen level drops. At that point we need less calories, but still eat the same and gain even more weight.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • pmd14
    Options
    Thanks to all