weight loss success on Metformin

Options
2»

Replies

• AuntShanna
    AuntShanna Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Coco, I was perscribed Metformin to help with PCOS and Insulin resistence, because of this I have to watch my carbs as well. I keep a good balance (for me) and what carbs I do eat, I keep to the low glycemic seriously whole food/grains ...but I occassionally cheat. I am only on 500 mg at night and it has not helped me lose weight... what I did lose was from the exercise I incorporated and no longer overeating on a daily basis. That being said, my girlfriend was diagnosed with similar problems and her doc perscribed 1000 mg a day and a serious diabetic diet, as she was trying to concieve also, she dropped 35 lbs and did concieve. but she had made VERY serious diet changes since she was a junk food junky before.

As long as you communicate with your doctor, make wise choices with food and move to help keep your blood sugars stable (exercise is important here for insulin resistence, not sure if it works the same for diabetics.)... you will see success. I just have to add also... you have AMAZING cheekbones girl!
  • Predsfan2013
    Predsfan2013 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I too have Pcos and am on metformin. I am not doing low carbs because the medication makes, me sick without carbs. I use mostly complex carbs. I have lost 17lbs since October 13 2013. I watch my calories and exercise 30 min 2 days a week. It does help.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have taken metformin for probably a decade. I was taking 2000mg daily. I never lost weight, but I didn't eat at a calorie deficit. In trying to control the blood glucose levels, my dr tried a number of additional oral meds that I always had problems with. Along with the metformin, I started on Byetta injections 15 months ago and took strict control of my eating and FINALLY was able to lose weight. My diabetes educator/dietitian said that the big spikes after meals are what were causing my weight issues, so the plan was to flatten out the spikes. I still eat carbs, but way less than I used to. I try to keep my macros balanced (equal proportions) - carbs, protein, fat. I eat only healthy carbs - no candy, cake, cookies, junk, chips, processed junk, etc. I make sure the carbs I eat have value, mainly veggies, fruits, brown rice, whole grains.

By the way, I now do 500 mg metformin (extended release) with a once weekly Bydureon injection. My fasting glucose is in the low 80s normally and my 2 hr. after a meal is never more than 120. And I have lost 88 lbs.

Good luck on your journey.
  • CocoMichelle88
    Options
    Lol thanx @Auntshanna
  • iowachapman
    iowachapman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also and very similar to cathylopez197 I started at 280 lbs in 2009, and started on Byetta, and wanted to get off all meds. The initial year and half I dropped down to 207, then I thought I was good, stopped taking byetta, and other meds, over about 6 months trickled up to 230, was still going to the Y and watching what I ate, for another year n half until just last august I was stuck, then found a doc that put me on bydureon as it was once weekly, since going on the bydureon i have been able to easily lose weight again, though i did also start a 20 hour fast 4 hour eat window monday to friday at about 1200 to 1300 calories, and then weekends i have about 2000 calories. I am currently 195 A1C in Dec was 5.4 Blood Pressure 120/70 and cholesterol levels are good. Strongly suggest anybody who is type 2 to request the use of byetta or bydureon, it will help in many cases to lose. Also any appetite suppressing pills can help.

Oh and as for what I eat, I mainly eat good, however i never refuse myself say a doughnut if I want one. Just dont eat more than 1, count the calories and adjust my calories. There are even times where I have gone to taco bell, i just add them calories up and make sure i am under 1300 for the day in my 4 hour eating window. For those that might yell thats not healthy, they can talk to my doc about my stats, A1C from 6.1 to 5.4, blood pressure with no meds, 120 over 70, lowered cholesterol, my stats show otherwise, and I feel good.

oh yes i do take metroformin also.. 1000gm a day, have been on that since i been diagnosed in 2k
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I had my dose of metformin bumped up to the max in December and since then the weight has started coming off :) I've lost about 10 pounds so far!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!